New vs old generation blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hi All,
I have 15 years old Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF. Could somebody explain what is difference between old blades and new generation in terms how it behaves in game? Is new generation "better"? I don't seek for corbon/lot of speed as I need a control.
I can not see anybody play with Tackiness Drive, Sriver or Bryce. These rubbers were very popular when I bought my blade. But the progress moves on and I believe my blade should go to archive?
Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hi All,
I have 15 years old Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF. Could somebody explain what is difference between old blades and new generation in terms how it behaves in game? Is new generation "better"? I don't seek for corbon/lot of speed as I need a control.
I can not see anybody play with Tackiness Drive, Sriver or Bryce. These rubbers were very popular when I bought my blade. But the progress moves on and I believe my blade should go to archive?
Thanks.

As for rubbers, there have been several new generations of rubbers with inbuilt speed-glue effect, as speed-glueing was quite common, but is now forbidden.
If you used to play Tackiness, Sriver, Bryce or any other old rubber without speed-glueing there is no need to look elsewhere. These and other classic rubbers still work ok for many players.

As for blades, some tend to think like wine, blades age and get better. This is not always the case, as when you play them for years on end they will get heavier and slower. Some like this effect, some don´t. As you have obviously took time off, no need to change your blade for that reason, I think.

Another myth: The older the blade, the better the wood used, the better the glue, etc. etc. and finally the better the blade. Old equals good, some think.
There is some truth to this, but it´s not always and fully true. Many blades are partly handcrafted, and it only takes a bad day of one factory worker to produce a pile of sub-standard blades. So, before paying heavy sums for a holy grail old blade, better try it - for collectors they may be worth silly money, for players they are not automatically good.

Generally, for re-entering the game after a longer break, take what you have and buy what you were used to (replace old rubbers with equal new) can not be a bad start. The game may have advanced, but at least this way to you it may feel a bit like it did. Get used to the new balls, practice and then advance to other material if you feel like it.

Have fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Thanks for your reply, Airoc.
I didn't have a break (though I want to play with 38mm few rallies quite badly to feel the difference) and I am used to new balls and new trends.
I just did not have a chance to compare same my rubbers on different blades. 10USD DHS Wind series blade behaves very well on the same level (according my feelings) or even better than my old blade. Sure 10USD DHS is too heavy and not competition blade but speed is faster than my old blade and control is decent.
So, as you pointed out I think my blade became too slow for modern game.