Ittf stupiiiiiiiiiid ranking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
If Ma Long and Fan Zhendong had not protested at China Open and they didn't have to deal with National Games etc., this could very well have happened. But because of that and a few other things, we have the current situation. And by the rules, Dima is #1. And if you look at the top 10, it is full of good players who played well last year. If Ma Long has a good year, he will go back to #1 too.

What some people who are complaining will not tell you is that they are upset that Ma Long's streak at #1 Is over and this is driving more of their criticisms than anything else.

EEExactly and they will all stop whining in 3-4-5 months from now. I mean its funny they really care about how unfair the new ranking system is , they should gather money to help poor athletes and talents that are now wasted because of the new rangking system#

ding ning will have to play qualification rounds omg what a drama !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
lol, what else can he say? I told him ML would not be #1 under old ranking system and he still mind-reads that I "complain" about the new ranking system because ML #1 streak is over. I also analyzed DN's ranking from hidden in Nov 2017 (#2 if not hidden) to #3 in Dec 2008 when losing to Chen Xingtong in Swedish Open. Simply put, to get more ranking points under old system one has to attend and NOT to lose to lower ranked players. Under new system, one can easily withdraw a tournament like Dima did for Hungrarian Open and someone can walk over easily because getting to next round does not give you much more points and there is no penalty for W.O.

You are confusing the difference between being #1 and #2 with the difference between being #1 and #7. With the old system Ma Long only had to regain bonus points and he kept his rating. Now he has to play and win many events. He can no longer maintain high ranking in a cherry picked schedule and with advancing age, who knows?

Maybe I was too general in my original wording but the funny thing is that you responded. I wonder why that is.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Entirely reasonable and graceful.
There are many events in the year, all you are required to play is 8 to have a full ranking. Only a few Japanese players play every event. At least he played the World Tour Finals, where was Ma Long?
ML hadn't participated in enough WT events or was it a rhetorical question? I'm saying that when a world #1 doesn't want to participate in the competition fearing he'd lose his spot - it looks a bit meh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
EEExactly and they will all stop whining in 3-4-5 months from now. I mean its funny they really care about how unfair the new ranking system is , they should gather money to help poor athletes and talents that are now wasted because of the new rangking system#

ding ning will have to play qualification rounds omg what a drama !!

Yeah. Gasp. She actually has to play regularly to maintain her international ranking. What a shame...

Maybe more people should have been in America in 2016 to see what the withdrawals of CNT did to the event. Maybe they will appreciate how I feel a tad bit more. This change may not work but I think it is a reasonable start.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
With the old system Ma Long only had to regain bonus points and he kept his rating. Now he has to play and win many events. He can no longer maintain high ranking in a cherry picked schedule and with advancing age, who knows?
not sure if I follow. So ML can't cherry pick his schedule and that's good, but that differs from Dima withdrawing how?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ML hadn't participated in enough WT events or was it a rhetorical question? I'm saying that when a world #1 doesn't want to participate in the competition fearing he'd lose his spot - it looks a bit meh.
Lol. They pick the last 8 best results so it had nothing to do with losing his spot. Do better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
People who complain about the new ranking system in this forum spent more time analyzing how #900+ Truls Moregard can play senior events than analyzing how ML can regain #1.
You ignore all the in-depth discussions and take for granted that people complain the new system because Dima being #1, or ML no longer #1. And you asked me why I responded to your mind-reading?

You are confusing the difference between being #1 and #2 with the difference between being #1 and #7. With the old system Ma Long only had to regain bonus points and he kept his rating. Now he has to play and win many events. He can no longer maintain high ranking in a cherry picked schedule and with advancing age, who knows?

Maybe I was too general in my original wording but the funny thing is that you responded. I wonder why that is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
People who complain about the new ranking system in this forum spent more time analyzing how #900+ Truls Moregard can play senior events than analyzing how ML can regain #1.
You ignore all the in-depth discussions and take for granted that people complain the new system because Dima being #1, or ML no longer #1. And you asked me why I responded to your mind-reading?
chill rainneverever, I take it NextLevel is trolling you a bit at this point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I did my best in trying to be objective while reading your discussion and I honestly see no bias in rainneverever's arguments. I think they bring solid points.

They bring solid points without deferring to the fact that things evolve. The ITTF will have to make changes over time in response to the details of the new system.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
They bring solid points without deferring to the fact that things evolve. The ITTF will have to make changes over time in response to the details of the new system.
I mean some changes that the system needs are so obvious they should've been made before it was implemented. That's what pisses people off. Like give lower ranked players some time to adjust their position under the new ranking system before screwing them over. E.g. make their current ranking a weighted average of their old ranking and would've-been-new ranking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I might have said this elsewhere but having 15 year olds on the tour should not be the priority of the ITTF. In fact, Some of this is what hurts the professionalism in our sport where many rich kids play the sport for a while and get gaudy rankings, then go to college and leave the sport behind. If taking care of such kids is a priority for the sport, the ITTF can provide a path. But I think it is more important to look at what the professional tour needs to function. Prodigies should play the professional tour when they are ready to commit to be professionals - this is my view. And someone like Truls can play the senior tour if he is ready to commit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
why do you assume there'd be one? Suppose Dima got to a 1/4 final, are you sure he'd easily make semi-final 8 times to override that?
Then he isn't hurting his ranking because it would be a fat 0 and not the Hungary Open. Just like Ma Long has a fat zero and no eighth event at the current time. Try again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I mean some changes that the system needs are so obvious they should've been made before it was implemented. That's what pisses people off. Like give lower ranked players some time to adjust their position under the new ranking system before screwing them over. E.g. make their current ranking a weighted average of their old ranking and would've-been-new ranking.

Some of what they are doing may not be as accidental as it seems but the change was announced in 2016 and rankings were declared back then so people could adjust and track results.

I don't think the current system is perfect. But I think that aspects of it are largely in the right direction.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Then he isn't hurting his ranking because it would be a fat 0 and not the Hungary Open.
huh? What would be a fat 0? In the end the situation is as follows: the current world #1 can cherry pick his schedule and avoid any damage to his ranking. Wasn't that something you considered evil when applied to ML's 2017?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
huh? What would be a fat 0? In the end the situation is as follows: the current world #1 can cherry pick his schedule and avoid any damage to his ranking. Wasn't that something you considered evil when applied to ML's 2017?

If he played it likely wouldn't affect his ranking either. This seems hard to get across. Maybe rainneverever can explain since you seem to get her but not me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
If he played it wouldn't affect his ranking either. This seems hard to get across. Maybe rainneverever can explain since you seem to get her but not me.
so he doesn't even need to cherry pick and his ranking is still protected? Isn't that even more evil? So much for the incentive for players to participate more I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
The first edition of the new ranking was made in Dec 2016 and released in late Mar 2017. At that time, WTTC and WTTTC points are valid for 2 years with 100% in the first year and 50% in the second year; OG and OG team points are valid for 4 years with 100% in the first year and 75%, 50%, 25% in the following years.
The second edition of new ranking was made in late Oct 2017. WTTC and WTTTC points are 100% for 2 years. OG and OG team points are valid for 1 year ONLY. At this point, I can argue that CNT understood the new ranking system when it was first released and ML/DN could take advantage of OG champion points. But the removal of OG points in 2nd year was a sudden and CNT could barely do anything.
There was a further change of the new ranking in late Dec 2017. Participation for WTTC now is 25, for Plat Tour 20 and Tour 15. Not sure to whom these little points help.

Some of what they are doing may not be as accidental as it seems but the change was announced in 2016 and rankings were declared back then so people could adjust and track results.

I don't think the current system is perfect. But I think that aspects of it are largely in the right direction.