Booster legalization proposed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Legalizing non VOC booster will be proposed at the next ITTF AGM on 1st of May, 2018.
75% of votes are needed for an approval.

https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/03/2018_AGM_propositions.pdf

------------------------------
Proposed by the Executive Committee and the Athletes Commission
To amend 2.4.7:
2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other
treatment that may be considered harmful or unhealthy for the persons.
Rationale:
1. It is impossible to control boosters with the current equipment/procedures, so the actual rule cannot
be enforced.
2. The main problem of the harmful substances in the way rubbers were collated to blades was mitigated
with the introduction of the VOC controls.

I'm all for it as it's impossible to detect non VOC booster and only players who currently don't boost gain from this proposal.
What do you think?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Legalizing non VOC booster will be proposed at the next ITTF AGM on 1st of May, 2018.

To amend 2.4.7:
Rationale:
1. It is impossible to control boosters with the current equipment/procedures, so the actual rule cannot
be enforced.
2. The main problem of the harmful substances in the way rubbers were collated to blades was mitigated

I'm all for it as it's impossible to detect non VOC booster and only players who currently don't boost gain from this proposal.
What do you think?
Agree.

That means ITTF could list legal boosters and,

Boosting must be done on the spot. ;)

btw, this post is not a sarcasm. ;)

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
I don't boost but I like this proposal. It gets rid of the gray area of allowing manufacturers to sell rubbers that have been boosted, yet players are not allowed to boost on their own.

The speed glue ban was based on health concerns (at least that's what Adham Sharara had claimed.) VOCs can be detected so speed glues cant be used.

Boosters don't have VOCs and there isn't any racket control to detect them directly other than if total rubber thickness exceeds 4mm. As far as I'm concerned its fine to use boosters as long as there isn't any health hazard associated with their use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
Boosters don't have VOCs and there isn't any racket control to detect them directly other than if total rubber thickness exceeds 4mm. As far as I'm concerned its fine to use boosters as long as there isn't any health hazard associated with their use.

Sorry Guys, "boosters have no VOC's" or they have "VOC controls" ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The real question is, why did they ever ban the boosters in the first place. And since the top players are all boosting already anyway, I don't think this will make much difference. But it should be done.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Good. Overdue.

You betcha.

Since boosting has been a fait accompli for some time now, this proposal should have no trouble passing. And once passed, manufacturers of boosting oils can legally also manufacture rubbers with boosters factory boosted. And players can legally boost these rubbers or any rubber suitable for boosting with a boosting oil they feel will give them the most bang for their buck.

Welcome, then, to a Brave New World of faster, spinnier table tennis through legalized new improved and ever evolving technology,

Whoopee. Three cheers. Huzzah. I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You betcha.

Since boosting has been a fait accompli for some time now, this proposal should have no trouble passing. And once passed, manufacturers of boosting oils can legally also manufacture rubbers with boosters factory boosted. And players can legally boost these rubbers or any rubber suitable for boosting with a boosting oil they feel will give them the most bang for their buck.

Welcome, then, to a Brave New World of faster, spinnier table tennis through legalized new improved and ever evolving technology,

Whoopee. Three cheers. Huzzah. I guess.

I don't think that anything will change if they legalize boosters. Because no one who wanted to boost ever stopped boosting because he hadn't to fear any consequences.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't think that anything will change if they legalize boosters. Because no one who wanted to boost ever stopped boosting because he hadn't to fear any consequences.

I have actually heard rumor that berndtjgmann actually boosts his sandpaper. He just doesn't want the other sandpaper players to catch on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I double dare someone to boost/tune Berndt's drawers and car tires, so they perform better in the summer.

Dear Der,

Don't wear drawers and don't own a car. And the only thing that performs well in a Tucson summer is a Sonoran hot dog.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I have actually heard rumor that berndtjgmann actually boosts his sandpaper. He just doesn't want the other sandpaper players to catch on.

You gotta be kidding me. Boosting sandpaper is for wusses. I sandblast it.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

To amend 2.4.7:
Rationale:
be enforced.

What do you think?
That's the interpretation of the magazine Table Tennis Kingdom, isn't it?

I don't know what the ITTF is gonna do with the amended T4 from last year.

https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2017/10/T4_Racket_Coverings_BOD2017.pdf_0.pdf
Suppliers that produce, market, sell, or are otherwise associated with illegal substances and
treatments may not apply for authorisation of any racket covering. Their equipment will not be
permitted to appear on the LARC, and may not use the ITTF logo.

Reactions: thomas.pong
Jan 2018
The real question is, why did they ever ban the boosters in the first place. And since the top players are all boosting already anyway, I don't think this will make much difference. But it should be done.
Very good question there.

It's the works of Adham Sharara, yet again.

To quote his "personal" stance on the issue,
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=66229#p66229
I hate to say it, but probably because we trust (or should trust) the factories more in their handling of substances that may contain VOCs or harmful materials. They are better equipped than a 13 your old kid. My "personal" opinion is that if the ITTF gets into the business of approving boosters (or such substances) that are VOC-free, poison-free, and are made ecologically safe from natural substances, then why not allow it at all levels. But you have to understand our skepticism. We tested 5 so-called "safe" VOC-free boosters on the market and found VOCs in all of them, and poison in 2 of them. The distributors were convinced that these were totally safe. When we sent them the lab results, I believe at least 4 of the distributors stopped selling the boosters. So we are still at the early stage to be able to recognize totally safe boosters, but I am sure the day will come. But I am also sure that it may not be needed after all because of the expected progress in the new generation of rubbers and sponge.
My vision is that at ITTF-level events we would have refined racket testing that would detect low levels of VOC, would detect any alterations to the rubber and imposes strict controls on thickness of the racket covering. When this is safely in place, we could allow anything as long as the racket passes the test. But our main concern is putting in the hands of children substances that could cause them harm.

I'm glad you understand, of course I do not expect you to agree, but understanding the ITTF's position is already a positive step for me.

Adham

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Interesting quote about VOCs and poisons in the boosters. That's what emratthich said also. Why don't the boosted rubbers fail VOC testing then, have they off-gassed completely by check-in time?

In a perfect world ITTF would allow boosters and start enforcing the rules against hidden serves at the same time. Larry Hodges would think he was dreaming.