softer sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
while i most write about lifting backspin balls with topspin, i remember a weird situation.
after i lost a league game with my grubba and H3, i did buy two sheets of Mark V in 1.5 (bh) and 1.8 (fh) and put them on my Stiga AC.
I did train with a usual partner who liked to give me heavy chopped backspin. while it was hard to do the shot, the success rate was kinda 50 % with the Grubba/H3 setup.
with the new setup (Stiga AC + Mark V) it was impossible to lift it. i tried it all sets we played against each other i wasn't able to lift even one ball. i tried to adjust to the new equipment with a more upwards-motion, still every ball did land in the net.
back then i did blame the thin rubber (1.8 MV vs 2.15 H3), now i remember an article about the blade speed which need to be fast enough to override the backspin.
while the Stiga AC isn't far away from the Grubba on paper, ingame i like the Grubba way more. even on speed side there is a noticable difference between them.
now thinking back to my problem to get a constant lift of backspin balls, maybe the solution might also be a faster blade. i was thinking about the primorac (i promised myself to get one if i get over 1500 ttr.)
what do you guys think about the different effects using a sightly softer rubber / slightly faster blade on be more constant lifting backspin balls.
side note on the technique side: i always train open up backspin balls with topspin. it's my major priority in every training to get this stroke done, thus i wouldnt consider it to be bad. with my current equipment i am able to do it about 50-60%. for me this quote isn't satisfied, but still better than some previous time ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
You have to generate the speed to overwrite the spin not only with your arm but also with weight transfer and wrist. It is your technique, not your rubbers. Ma Long could loop those backspin balls with a brick. It will be a lot easier though with R42 or something in that sponge hardness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,

i had some sessions with the new rubbers.
straight away the baracuda felt way more comfortable on the fh, where i have to open up backspin balls more carefully, while the vega pro excells at the backhand.
what do u guys think about having a harder rubber on the backhand in comparison to the fh?
i really would like to try out a 42,5° rubber (like vega europe or big slam) on the backhand, but right now i'm kinda satisfied with the pro.
sofar iamsan

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Hi guys,

i had some sessions with the new rubbers.
straight away the baracuda felt way more comfortable on the fh, where i have to open up backspin balls more carefully, while the vega pro excells at the backhand.
what do u guys think about having a harder rubber on the backhand in comparison to the fh?
i really would like to try out a 42,5° rubber (like vega europe or big slam) on the backhand, but right now i'm kinda satisfied with the pro.
sofar iamsan

Interesting read so far. Let us know in another week how you are getting on.
As for the harder BH. For a whole season and half I used H3 unboosted/Palio Thors on my BH. My BH was very consistent with spinning up backspin balls (90%), my short game was almost unmatched in my league, my blocking/counter was consistent but the thing to note was my BH loop was very very inconsistent unless I slow it down but I hardly ever forced an error with it when looping (Punch shots is where I won some points).

However this is extreme of course as the Vega Pro is nowhere near as hard. Just telling you my story as it shows just how much its down to personal preference for your game and what you want out of it