Rubber for chinese loop technique

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,

sadly i'm currently on a massive EJ trip on my forehand side.

The background is simple. During the last year i found a technique which works for me. It was opening up my racket angle more and also hitting a bit more upward than forward. It's like the chinese loop technique many people talk about: hitting the ball through the sponge and simultanously also pulling a little bit more up to get the arc.

After a league game where i hit very hard and consistently four or five topspins in a row on forehand side with my Fastarc G1 and my opponent still could block it, i decided to give hybrids/chinese rubber a try. The first one was Vega China and damn... the rubber was way faster than my G1 on power topspins on the exact same setup. Sadly my unforced error quote also increased from like 5-10% to like 30-50%. So i went on and tried the Battle 2 pro BS. I was quite surprised that the B2 was slower but the main characteristics were the same. My unforced error quote improved to like 20% but still it's kinda unsatisfied to me. On top of that i really hate to clean the rubber consistantly with my breath during some points and nearly every game because of the dust.

I wonder if chinese rubber are worth the extra effort or if i should give the newer (unsticky) hybrids (like C48, MK, MX-S?) a chance.

Thank you. San

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
H3N (+ some Haifu Seamoon ;)) or the quite similar Battle 3 with a higher base speed.
H3s are nowadays quite less tacky then they were a couple of years ago and the B3 is also less tacky than the B2.
Battle 2 and Sanwei Target have a too low throw for me.
A bit more hybrid like: 729 Dragon F hard/medium-hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I recommend the DNA Dragon grip.
It's a great hybrid with little downside.
The more tackier/slower ones mentioned here may require you to hit through harder, which naturally increases your unforced error rate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I second hurricane 3 regular or hurricane 3 neo or TG3. 39 degree as well. Tabletennis11 and Dandoy sports carry 39 degree by default if it does not say anything otherwise.

You are not going to get as much spin with Big Dipper.

I have not been impressed by the hybrids I have played with. I mean, I like them alright but if you are going to try chinese forehand, you might as well try chinese rubbers, i.e. hurricane. Hurricane is a lot cheaper than the hybrids too. You can always try hybrid later after you have tried hurricane 3 or TG3.

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
H3N u have three options commercial provincial and national, recommend provincial or national with blue sponge, use a booster too (Haifu seamoon, Falco tempo long ....)
He is a first time user: Let him choose between prov bs or os, bs if he hits hard. National is consistent, but takes a longer time to get used to if you're a first time h3 user, plus, you already have to get used to the differences between h3 and other rubbers (not discounting battle 2). If he wants an upgrade after using h3 prov, then he can move up to national, then he will see the progress. If you go straight to national, I don't think you will learn how to utilise it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys...
something is really strange with these sticky rubbers... in particular Battle 2 prov BS and Vega China.
In Comparison to my Fastarc G1 they are speedwise... like cannons.
It's like with G1 i could let the rubber get deep into the sheet. i could feel the dwell time.
With these hybrids i cant feel the dwell time. I think it's about the hard sponge (and maybe hard topsheet).
Currently i don't know if i like it. On the one side the loops are much more power and thus dangerous. But my error rate also skyrocked. Sure it's only 2 weeks and 6 training sessions.... but i really have to consider if i want to adapt to this.

What were your progression with these kinds of rubbers? Do you think the adaptation is worth it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
The adaption is definitely worth it,
Once you get used to it and train accordingly, you will not want to go back.
Your topspin loops will be much more deadly.
Your opponents will feel the pressure.
I feel like tensor rubbers are limiting in that sense.
It takes time and dedicated training to build the topspin habits that you want and need.

If you have more questions about switching/adjusting to the chinese technique with the new rubber:
ask here, in another thread, look on old threads, or pm me.
I went through that process and I am still improving but It would take some bad circumstance to take me back to non chinese forehand and even backhand rubbers.

PS: I can recommend the Nittaku Hurricane 3 Turbo blue, Ask the seller for the lightest sheet if possible because it can get a little heavy

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
If you wanna play chinese rubber, buy the neo hurricane 3. The entirety of China, from amatures to ma long and fan zhendong use the neo hurricane 3. Thickness 2.2 and hardness 39 or 40. If you boost then thickness 2.15 and hardness 41.
I second that. I would just get Hurricane 3 regular or Hurricane 3 neo, 39 degree.

I have a sheet of Battle II provincial blue sponge somewhere. It is a bit too hard for me (the sponge and/or the to sheet). I think I will put it on a spare blade.

I just put a Battle II silver on one my Alsers. Haven’t played it yet, but very little stickiness about the same same as H3 provincial orange and it feels less grippy. Will probably take it for a test ride today.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I second that. I would just get Hurricane 3 regular or Hurricane 3 neo, 39 degree.

I have a sheet of Battle II provincial blue sponge somewhere. It is a bit too hard for me (the sponge and/or the to sheet). I think I will put it on a spare blade.
I would choose Battle II over H3. The new H3 is hardly tacky. It has become very non-linear. Control is terrible.

Battle II has much better consistency and control despite slightly less spinny.

Dianchi D is a underrated great rubber. For $28 USD it outperforms Neo H3 provincial in control, consistency, feeling and spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I first started with Vega China. And i was suprised how fast this rubber was. The tackiness wasnt impressive tho.
Thats why i ordered the B2 prov. I read and saw in reviews that this rubber should be the most tacky out there. Well i was surprised. For me it doesnt feel like the tackiest rubber commercially available.
I did a pickup test. With the Vega China i could pick up the ball for about 0.5 seconds.
With the B2 it was about 1.0 - 1.5 seconds. In visual reviews this rubber could hold the ball like forever.
I dont think i got a fake rubber because i bought it from a very reputable seller in my country.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I first started with Vega China. And i was suprised how fast this rubber was. The tackiness wasnt impressive tho.
Thats why i ordered the B2 prov. I read and saw in reviews that this rubber should be the most tacky out there. Well i was surprised. For me it doesnt feel like the tackiest rubber commercially available.
I did a pickup test. With the Vega China i could pick up the ball for about 0.5 seconds.
With the B2 it was about 1.0 - 1.5 seconds. In visual reviews this rubber could hold the ball like forever.
I dont think i got a fake rubber because i bought it from a very reputable seller in my country.
Pickup tests results could change based on the ball, i found if you clean and store the rubber with film protection for a while it holds the ball longer, the room temperature also changes the results.
This doesnt mean it would feel like that when playing and after getting a bit of dust etc.

For example my Reactor thunder could pickup the ball forever (i needed to drop it basically) when taking the bat out of the case, but i dont feel it plays "tackier" than H3NEO when serving or lifting underspin.