Style of play

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi all,
I’m what you would call an intermediate player who has been playing for about three years now but only two of them in a club environment . This is my first season playing in lower league in the U.K. .
I often hear said and have also read that when starting out as a player you need to find out what type of playing style you want to be .
My question is to my fellow forum members is how long into their playing did they decide what type of player they were going to be and was there anything that triggered this decision( watching other players, receiving advice etc) ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it takes a pretty long time for many. If you havent played so long i think you should train everything. Then after some time you will notice with you are naturally better at and what you think is most fun. But i think you need to give your strokes time to develop. Like people that start to use a long pimple to push every ball because they have bad backhand is the wrong approach i think. Atleast if they havent played for long and tried to make their backhand better. If they worked more on the backhand maybe they would had an amazing backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Thanks for the replies and links.

I know that I want to be able to attack form both wings. I had lessons when I first started to get the basics as well as to concentrate on by BH as I was very FH orientated. As I’m nearly 50 I couldn’t see myself chasing everything with my FH for much longer !
As you all know you have so many people telling you different things when your devoloping that you can get thrown down the wrong path sometimes to what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks again and as Lula said I probably just need more time to develop my play and go with what naturally I feel better doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
An article from Larry Hodges : http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/605 (Develop your game around your playing style)
And from Rowden Fullen : http://protabletennis.net/content/develop-winning-playing-style

If i remember well, the idea is to find what you like to do and what you are good at, also the shots that make you get points. Then think about schema that help you put it into play

From my personal experience indeed it's long to know it. As an example, i used to be bad at blocking but lately i use it more and more into my game and i have a lot of fun with it.

Maybe it can be helpful to develop 2 or 3 schema (serve and third ball, even 5th) that you really like to use and that can be the backbone of your game. I think that really trying to develop some schema can help to be more aware about some details