Awkward state of boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi,

I'm currently playing in the amateur league in a European country and boosting is regarded as illegal due to the rules.

But as far as I understand many players in Asia and even the top professional players are playing with boosted rubbers. Some rubbers are even not playable if not boosted like H3.

Why is boosting not made legal again because the health aspect of speed glue is not an argument anymore. Also, many players are already boosting their rubbers. If you want to play by the rules, you have currently a disadvantage because you can't play Chinese Rubbers.

On the other hand if it is illegal and planed to be so. Why is it not more penalized?

The current state just feels awkward and gives an unfair advantage for players who play by the rules. In my mind, if it's illegal then enforce it for every player to the same degree or just legalized it, so every player are on equal footing again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
The simple answer is, it’s virtually impossible to detect if it does not contain VOC. Boosters I know of don’t…

Cheers
L-zr

And as I understood, VOC has been the reason why speed glueing has been forbidden because of the bad health effects. But this argument doesn't stand anymore with boosters without VOC.

It's also like an open secret that Ma Long and other Chinese Players are boosting their rubbers. If ITTF really want to enforce the rule they could monitor the racket glueing process. Otherwise just legalize boosting if you have no means to enforce the rule?

Reactions: kindof99
They don’t boost them self’s they get their (special) rubbers from factory then it’s allowed as long as no VOC’s are allowed. The European players get the same, but they are sponsored mostly by Japanese and ESN rubbers and they don’t benefit as much from boosting.
I boost, don’t see a reason not to ( other than maybe laziness)…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
They don’t boost them self’s they get their (special) rubbers from factory then it’s allowed as long as no VOC’s are allowed. The European players get the same, but they are sponsored mostly by Japanese and ESN rubbers and they don’t benefit as much from boosting.
I boost, don’t see a reason not to ( other than maybe laziness)…

Cheers
L-zr
But they are still boosted. So why not just legalize it?

Also during the ITTF World Team Championship Team USA has been disqualified because one of their player high likely boosted his rubber, resulting in the rubber being bigger than acceptable. So personal boosting seems to still happen.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
On the flip side why not ban composite fibers and just allow all wooden blades like in the good ol days?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
As a person returning to the sport after many years away, I find the whole idea of boosting repulsive. I missed most of the era of speed glue, so I don't miss what I guess many players are trying to recreate by boosting. With that admitted inexperience and naivete as a backdrop, boosting just seems no better than PEDs, and the fact that so many players seem to do it anyway (if I am to believe what I hear) is both discouraging and a stain on the sport.

That being said, if someone needs to boost to beat me, that's on their conscience, if they have one. If you beat someone by cheating then you are a loser.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi,

I'm currently playing in the amateur league in a European country and boosting is regarded as illegal due to the rules.

But as far as I understand many players in Asia and even the top professional players are playing with boosted rubbers. Some rubbers are even not playable if not boosted like H3.

Why is boosting not made legal again because the health aspect of speed glue is not an argument anymore. Also, many players are already boosting their rubbers. If you want to play by the rules, you have currently a disadvantage because you can't play Chinese Rubbers.

On the other hand if it is illegal and planed to be so. Why is it not more penalized?

The current state just feels awkward and gives an unfair advantage for players who play by the rules. In my mind, if it's illegal then enforce it for every player to the same degree or just legalized it, so every player are on equal footing again.
Just go ahead and boost

As a person returning to the sport after many years away, I find the whole idea of boosting repulsive. I missed most of the era of speed glue, so I don't miss what I guess many players are trying to recreate by boosting. With that admitted inexperience and naivete as a backdrop, boosting just seems no better than PEDs, and the fact that so many players seem to do it anyway (if I am to believe what I hear) is both discouraging and a stain on the sport.

That being said, if someone needs to boost to beat me, that's on their conscience, if they have one. If you beat someone by cheating then you are a loser.
Tell that to a pro 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

PEDs are frowned upon due to their deleterious health effects. Boosters are more like protein powder or vitamin supplements.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Whats the difference between me boosting my rubber and the factory boosting it for me?
Someone else can probably answer that better than me. As a recent returner to the sport I'm still in the stage of initial shock and revulsion that this is even an issue in TT.

Maybe I'll eventually come around and see it all as OK, but I hope not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Perhaps it's unfair. Although it makes no difference whether the rubber is boosted by the factory or by you, the final product of manual boosting is not readily available to the general populace. But even so, players should already use the best rubber available to them, boosted or not. Since boosting softens the sponge and add catapult, you can just buy the degree of hardness and catapult you want in a rubber without doing any witchcraft.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
It's not unfair if it's accessible to all.
Not all people are dumb enough to risk their health or reputation for better performance, and they rightfully believe they shouldn't have to compete against those who do. It's called sportsmanship, and its a disappearing ethic in the age of winning and money is everything.

Not all people are dumb enough to risk their health or reputation for better performance, and they rightfully believe they shouldn't have to compete against those who do. It's called sportsmanship, and its a disappearing ethic in the age of winning and money is everything.
“Risk their health” ???

Cheers
L-zr

Yes it is. It comes in plastic bottles with a little brush attached to the inside of the lid and it is sold everywhere. 😁
Or you can buy a similar product called “baby oil” at the grocery store…

Cheers
L-zr