says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
We are now in the lead up to the 2019 World Table Tennis Championships! It's time for all the best players in the world to come together and make an impact on the global scene. The forthcoming World Championships will be staged in Hungary from Monday 21st April to 28th April 2019.

Full topic information coming soon.

We can use this topic as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this prestigious tournament! What are your predictions from each event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Can't wait for the WTTC
Hope Timo can make any upsets and reach out for a medal again. This might be his last chance...

As predicted China is coming back stronger and stronger in the last weeks and tournaments. Even the world rankings correct themselves magically everytime we are heading to the beginning of the odd years and finally when April begins. If we think of last year at that time, when Dima or Timo were on top of the lists, they are now not even seeded 1-4 again. Only fortunate thing is, that ovtcharov could face Ma Long at the earliest in semi finals if I'm thinking correct.

Maybe this time they will get a better draw. Timo was like having 2 times Ma Long and 1 time Fan Zhendong out of the last 6 years :D And the Qatar open just proofed, that Timos luck for the draw is not the best :p

But all in all I'll be cheering for whole Europe, America and Africa to see someone taking over for a medal since 2011 in Rotterdam.

My favs and secret favs for a medal (Non chinese) are: Harimoto, Boll, Ovtcharov, Franziska, Calderano, Woojin, Falck, Pitchford, Lin-Yun Ju (Maybe Koki Niwa if he's in the Harimoto quarter )

Last edited:
Reactions: BlipBlop575
This user has no status.
I would like to see a men's singles final with Pitchford vs. Calderano, but this is highly unlikely.
No having seen the bracket, my prediction is Fan Zhendong vs. Lin Gaoyuan, or Ma Long, with Fan being the winner.

I expect Chen Meng will win the women's singles.

Are the brackets posted somewhere yet?

--Tim

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Don't know why ITTF is publishing the wrong participants (I know the players list can change, but they were also publishing articles on that one, which were completely wrong, cause National coach has been making an internal competition, which finished yesterday), but the final German squad is now complete.
Germany will participate with the following players:

Timo Boll
Dima Ovtcharov
Patrick Franziska
Dang Qiu
Bastian Steger

Walther, Duda, Orth and Filus didn'T get a ticket due to their results.

Just based on singles competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I would like to see a men's singles final with Pitchford vs. Calderano, but this is highly unlikely.
No having seen the bracket, my prediction is Fan Zhendong vs. Lin Gaoyuan, or Ma Long, with Fan being the winner.

I expect Chen Meng will win the women's singles.

Are the brackets posted somewhere yet?

--Tim

You may be correct about Chen Meng. I think Wang Manyu is the best women's player on Earth, although I would like that verified by a real match between them, as they are very close, reminiscent of our current Ma Long/Fan tango.

Thanks.

Reactions: trumpet_guy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
The draws for qualification stage and competition proper will be conducted under the supervision of the ITTF Technical Commissioner in Budapest on Friday 19April 2019(place and time TBA).Draws for the No. 1-16 seeded players in singles will take place separately on Saturday 20April 2019(place and time TBA). No.1-16 seeded players in singles have to attend the draw.Place and time for further draws in later stage will be announced on site.

Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Don't know why ITTF is publishing the wrong participants (I know the players list can change, but they were also publishing articles on that one, which were completely wrong, cause National coach has been making an internal competition, which finished yesterday), but the final German squad is now complete.
Germany will participate with the following players:

Timo Boll
Dima Ovtcharov
Patrick Franziska
Dang Qiu
Bastian Steger

Walther, Duda, Orth and Filus didn'T get a ticket due to their results.

Just based on singles competition.

How was the selection process organized? What is happening with Mengel and Baum?

This user has no status.
You may be correct about Chen Meng. I think Wang Manyu is the best women's player on Earth, although I would like that verified by a real match between them, as they are very close, reminiscent of our current Ma Long/Fan tango.

Thanks.

I think CM is slightly better but not much between them. The two favourites for sure but I can't rule out DN rising to the occasion either. I am desperately hoping Ito goes on a tear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I think CM is slightly better but not much between them. The two favourites for sure but I can't rule out DN rising to the occasion either. I am desperately hoping Ito goes on a tear.

Wang's last two matches against Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen demonstrated a dominant competency of a standard I have not seen since watching the great Li Xiaoxia take Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen apart in the Chinese Super League. Wang is scary powerful.

I too hope for the best for Ito and the rest of the athletes of that awesome Japanese system. I would not be surprised if the stupendous Jun Mizutani ruined a number of top players' hopes for going deep in the draw.

Thanks.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
How was the selection process organized? What is happening with Mengel and Baum?

There has been an internal competition fought out by the players written in my latest post. (Boll,Ovtcha and Franziska were already qualified) So there were several internal tournaments where they played each other coming out on top with

1. Dang Qiu
2. Bastianb Steger
3. Duda/Walther
4. Orth (injured, but played pretty impressive results before)
5. Filus (injured, lost all games - didnt play last game vs. Steger due to injury, so Steger was directly qualified and Duda/Walther didn't get the chance to play for their tickets in the last tournament cause they only could make it to a draw with Steger if he would loose and they succeed)

There was also a bonus point program made up by Jörg Rosskopf for international tournaments like proceeding to the round of last 16 at a major (Platinum,...) or to get into the finals at the national championships, but there were no points distributed.

Mengel just came back stronger in the last months, and had problems with injuries in the past, so he was placed like about 700 in worldranks when the internal competition started. I think that is one of the main reasons why he wasnt considered.

Patrick Baum isnt part of the national team for a longer time already, I think his last appearance was in 2015 when he lost to ZJK in the last 16. He has played a lot in France since then and there has been a lot of private trouble at that time. But he never came close to his cadet results, when he became world champion.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I'd bet on the usual suspects. Dark horse is Ovtcharov. Slowly but surely he's approaching his pre-injury form.

I expect DO to lose before he could reach the QF. He's so far down on the ranking now, that there's a very good chance he will meet China this time in the Rd of 16, provided he doesn't crash out before that.

DO's WTTC Journeys:
2017 - Rd of 16, losing to Koki Niwa 3-4
2015 - Rd of 64, losing to LSS 3-4
2013 - Rd of 16, losing to Baum 1-4
2011 - Rd of 16, losing to Boll 2-4
2009 - Rd of 16, losing to ML 1-4
2007 - Rd of 64, losing to MLin 0-4

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
4.jpg

How to make an image go fullscreen?

Anyways, this is the link which channels will be broadcasting to what countries: https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WTTC-Geos.pdf
So if your country is not listed, you can watch it on ittf.com. Or use VPN :)

Last edited: