Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/tournament/Nationals/2019_pdf/20191218_top12_prospectus.pdf

The reason for the unfamiliar names is the top 3 winners from the ALL JAPAN UNIVERSITY CHAMPIONSHIP will also play in the Top12.

No, only the University single champion got a spot. The 12 players:
- 8 by Dec WR
- 3 from stage 1 qualification
- 1 from University Championship

For any overlapping, will be replaced by stage 1 qualification ranking.

Since the 2 Olympic single players are already qualified for WTTTC, they don’t need to play on day 1. They just play on day 2 to compete the overall Top 12 winner.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I think for Hayata, the most critical lost of the year was losing to Kato in the last Japan Top 12 on March which cost her the WTTC single spot. And this may also make JTTA and the coaches have reservation on her mental strength. If she won that match, I can imagine she is a core JNT team member throughout the year.

I hope she can redeem herself by winning day 1 of Japan Top 12 this time and earn herself a spot in the 2020 WTTTC.

Not likely. Just look at Kato. She won the WTTC 2019 trial. She's on the national team the entire year. However, the JNT never has any intention of putting her on the Olympic lineup. How? Just look at her doubles, 0 entries for 2018 and only 1 entry(XD with Uda at the ATTC) for 2019.

As I've written, the hidden obstacle and unspoken rule have always been there from the very beginning.

It's always been a race among the top 3 from WTTC 2018 - Ishikawa, Ito and Hirano. It's always been just about who'll play singles.

There's always been this obsession, widely-accepted view or whatever, with the world ranking within the JNT and among the Japanese public in general. I remember a Japanese comment from the Marvelous 12 2019 over the selection system and how it contrasts with the reactions about their own after Mizutani lost the singles race.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hina Hayata at best should win against Hashimoto Honoka and Sato Hitomi .....:(
(in principle, if she reaches the final, she will play in the second round anyway, if I understand correctly ... But first you need to get out ...)
ひなさん、できます!

It won't be easy for Hayata to win against the choppers given the schedule of matches.
Japan Top 12 2020 Day 1 Schedule.jpg

The scheduling of matches is brutal. All matches are best of 7 and only 1 hour rest between matches. In Hayata's case, she'll likely have to play two very good choppers in Hashimoto and Sato with only 1 hour rest. If she manages to get through them, she'll only have one hour rest before the final match. The schedule will be tough on all participants but choppers tend to drain your energy worse than other style match-ups.

In this year's China National Championships, Wang Chuqin didn't have much enough energy in the final against Hou Yingchao after playing Ma Te in the SF and there was a decent amount of break time that day. The SF was at 12nn and the Final was at 8pm.

In the first day of the Japan Top 12, the QF is at 12nn, the SF at 2pm and the Final at 4pm! If JTTA wanted to finish everything in one day, maybe it could have spread out the matches until the evening. That way, it wouldn't be too hard on all the players.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
It bothers me very much .....According to ITTF statistics, it seems that Hyata can win both matches .... But the schedule is tight ....And both choppers are very, very serious rivals ....
And how much strength will remain on Nagasaki-Kato-Hirano .....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Best-of-5 for day 1 would be more suitable, in line with the format for WTTTC. WTH are they thinking?

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
It's hard to say ... Possible two games in a row with choppers (in any case, such games do not end quickly), with such a short interval between meetings ....:(