winning hug missing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
You know, personally I would just feel really awkward if I had to hug a person I don't know well, even more so with a complete stranger.
It's just a cultural thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
As in asian's culture, yeah... you seldomly see this. Especially among the same team member. Unless they have some long time rival opponent from other countries, then you may see this happen. Because it just feel like awkward if you have two same player from same team/country hug each other lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Matt come on. Samsonov is NOT a gentleman:

He wants to win a bit to much. Look at the score when it happends..
No, we tt-players are a bunch of idiots with unsportsmanlike behaviour ;)
I don't see what Samsonov did wrong. He wasn't arguing that much, and even if he did it would be normal. It's an Olympic match, and if he believed that he won the point, then he should fight for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
yeah, let's considera my initial "hug" more like a warm handshake. i mean i don't go hugging my ass off on my way to work

is that i see cold handshakes like a formality and not to congratulate your opponent because of a great game

nice debate this anyway haha

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to be honest, I don't think a handshake makes a difference. I have played plenty of people and not thought of giving a handshake at the end. I remember thinking it was weird having some guy I just beat or lost to walk up to me to give me a hand shake. If, through the match you are respectful of the opponent and in winning you are respectful and in losing you are a good sport, who cares about a hand shake. I personally don't really want the guy who won coming over to me to give me a handshake. If he lost and is doing it, that is fine with me. But it does not matter to me if someone comes up to me after a match to shake my hand or not. And, I feel much more comfortable walking up to someone I just lost to to give them a handshake and say "good match" than walking up to someone I beat and giving them a handshake. Truthfully, the winner going for the handshake seems a little patronizing to me.

And there are lots of ways for the loser to congratulate the winner aside from giving a handshake. Personally, I don't know why so many times this issue has come up and why so many people think that in sport you need to be a gentleman. I like to joke about the bad boy players from other sports talking smack and being rude, but I don't think sport needs to be overly polite.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't see what Samsonov did wrong. He wasn't arguing that much, and even if he did it would be normal. It's an Olympic match, and if he believed that he won the point, then he should fight for it.

I agree with this. Also, I think, if the referee cannot tell if it hit the edge or the side, that ref needs some training. If the ball had hit the edge it would have gone out and a little up, not down. They should know that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
I agree with this. Also, I think, if the referee cannot tell if it hit the edge or the side, that ref needs some training. If the ball had hit the edge it would have gone out and a little up, not down. They should know that.

They was arguing about this for 5 or 6 minutes if i remember it right! The big problem is that the ref on the wrong side is taking the desition and not the one on the right side! I think it´s pretty obvious that the ball goes straight down and samsonov can see that as well!

Sure I´m Swedish and so is Jörgen. But this one is pretty clear in my eyes=)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
They was arguing about this for 5 or 6 minutes if i remember it right! The big problem is that the ref on the wrong side is taking the desition and not the one on the right side! I think it´s pretty obvious that the ball goes straight down and samsonov can see that as well!

Sure I´m Swedish and so is Jörgen. But this one is pretty clear in my eyes=)

Clear enough to me that both sides should have known, but you are right, the ref on the side where the ball hit should have made the call and the ref on the other side should have given her colleague the call.