I need a faster blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I need a new blade

Hi, <br>
I am currently using a Sanwei Fextra 87g at 6mm. I've been using it for less than a year and it helped me develop my strokes.<br>
but I am thinking of upgrading. The Fextra is good but kinda lacking in speed in the higher gears. I would like to ask for some suggestions on what blade to choose. I prefer it to have alot of control when it comes to low impact shots such as pushes and flicks but on full on loops and hits I would want an extra power to loop kill the ball but i still prefer the allwood feeling. In regards to my level. I would consider myself on the low end of intermediate level. I could perform the textbook strokes with some consistency. <br>
<br>
Thank You

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
The most common response you are going to get here is that it is very unlikely that at this point you need a faster blade, especially since you are playing with a 7 ply blade which is already fairly fast.

At this point more power in your loops should come from technical improvements rather than switching to faster equipment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
The most common response you are going to get here is that it is very unlikely that at this point you need a faster blade, especially since you are playing with a 7 ply blade which is already fairly fast.

At this point more power in your loops should come from technical improvements rather than switching to faster equipment.

Thank you for your input. I will take you advice and will invest more time training and maybe hiring a good coach to help me develop my skills to a higher level.
But the thing is my Sanwei Fextra is slower compared to how people describe it. I tried the Stiga Clipper with the same rubber that I use in my fextra and I feel like the clipper is much faster than my fextra. I play from mid distance and the clipper has more speed no doubt. I dunno if I got a bad batch or what. That is why I'm looking for other options with more speed and better quality and consistency.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
If you are talking about lack of speed, It wouldn't be a mistake if you downgrade to a slower blade for awhile so you can unleash you power out. BTW, this is what I am trying to do the last few months training mostly with a 5ply OFF wood

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
If you are talking about lack of speed, It wouldn't be a mistake if you downgrade to a slower blade for awhile so you can unleash you power out. BTW, this is what I am trying to do the last few months training mostly with a 5ply OFF wood
What 5-ply OFF wood would you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Then get a Clipper. How thick is your fextra, what's it frequency?
Its about 6mm and 86-87g. I cant measure the frequency cause theres some rubber attached and there are no open stores around here to buy some WBG.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Its about 6mm and 86-87g. I cant measure the frequency cause theres some rubber attached and there are no open stores around here to buy some WBG.

That's pretty light I think :| I think that heavier blades tend to have more speed, but that is very complicated topic, there is more than one thread about this on this forum. I agree with Kolev too, speed comes mostly from technique and accelaration I wouldn't downgrade to 5ply though. You already know your blade so If you want to try achieve speed with technique than you will get more immediate results with your current setup. Equipment change will always delay progress. Getting a faster clipper (or clone) maybe would not throw you off though. There is ton of Clipper clones to choose from too including Donic Dyjas Power, Loki V7, DHS PG7 and many others. Every brand seems to have a 7 ply, limba 5xayous, limba blade.

My understanding is that 5ply blades are more flexible than 7ply, not necessary slower. I think they might be even faster in some examples. If you really want good 5ply offensive blade than Stiga Azalea, Xiom Offensive S, Donic Waldner Senso.

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Sorry, regular Clipper is no way faster than Fextra unless the Fextra is lighter and the Clipper is heavy.
That were my thoughts exactly. That's why I asked the question about weight. 86g for Clipper clone is a little low I think. Most clippers listed in frequency database were around 89-90ish. Those with higher frequencies were as heavy as 91g. OP said his Fextra was 86g.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
My Fextra is light. 86g is after sealing 2 coats on the blade face then 4 coats on the handle.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Changing to a Clipper wouldn't make a big difference... their too similar in both control and speed.
Fextra 7 is basically a 90% identical Clipper clone...
If you seriously consider changing I'd recommend testing some potential blades first.
But I don't think speed is the most significant factor here... rather gears, control and re-bounce effect. (eg long dwell hinoki, short dwell koto etc)

When it comes to finishers, you sure you aren't just hitting into a block instead of placing it properly?
I sure know I had that issue unconsciously for a long time...
+ If your body weight transfer with "whip" kill is not powerful, it's probably technique rather than the blade..
Considering it's your first year in table tennis the blade should be sufficient for at least another year or two.
I know a veteran who's still using Stiga all round, and that one is slower... but his placement is hard to deal with.

With that said, I agree with Yogi, what are your rubbers anyway? Can't see them mentioned..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Fextra is already a pretty fast blade. For me it is definitely faster than my regular setup with a Viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
My rubbers are H3 Neo on Forehand and Palio AK47 Blue on backhand. I feel like the fextra that I got lacks the higher gears. anyway I'll just upgrade to better rubbers and train more considering it is only my first year in table tennis. thanks y'all