Why are there restrictions for pips out rubbers?

This user has no status.

Female LP players in our team, would need to change min 2 sheets a year.
Other team males change around every 3 months.

Maybe Vets LP players can have the durability you are talking about. Certainly not junior semi-pros

Heck, I don’t even train professionally and I change rubbers every day! Come to think of it, that may have a different reason…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
From a spectator point of view, imagine this:

Player serves, LP stands casually and blocks, then the ball goes over short, the receiving player moves in to push and immediately the ball just dive down into the net. Repeat this many times. As a spectator I have no idea what happened but what I see is a regular dude just stand there and hold his bat up and block and the other player cannot prolong the rally. I'll be the first to get up and leave and never come back to the game.

As a spectator I want rally which is fast and furious. I want the players to run around sweating, panting and groaning while entertaining me to make my ticket money worth it. I do not want to watch some overweight middle age uncle just standing around holding his bat up and defeating his opponent while appearing not to be very athletic.

Just so you guys see it from me as a spectator point of view. Thank you.

NB: Pssst... no rally is bad for business.

The sport you want actually exists: it's called tennis. And some are complaining since a decade in that sports about the surfaces getting slower and slower because of that "we the audience want ralliiiies !"

At the controversial 2011 US Open, many players complained that the court had slowed. Played on DecoTurf II since 1978, the US Open has traditionally been considered a fast hardcourt event. But adding sand to a court’s paint can greatly affect the speed of the ball after it bounces, and Roger Federer was one player who believed this ratio may have changed in 2011.

“The issue for me more is maybe did they make a mistake. Maybe they did paint the court a bit too rough,” Federer said after his first round win. “It's just unfortunate. I think that maybe all the Slams are too equal. I think they should feel very different to the Australian Open, and now [here] I don't feel it really does… . I'm not sure if it's really what the game needs.”

Mardy Fish, who reached the fourth round of the 2011 US Open, agreed with Federer. “This was definitely the fastest Slam, surface-wise, that we've had,” said the then-top-ranked American. “Now with it being much slower out here this year, it fits right in with Australia. There are a lot of really slow Grand Slams now surface-wise.” in http://www.tennisviewmag.com/tennis...urt-surfaces-slowing-down-game-does-it-matter

I guess it's what the ITTF wants table tennis to look like indeed.

When rules and regulations are made so to please the audience, it's only money driven. And it's not good, at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
And more about money affecting the regulations: some here said the same about the manufacturers bringing up more and more spin and speed efficient inverted rubbers despite that ugly 40+ P Ball. As an "old player" there were indeed not that much new products released in the 80's to 90's era because the speed glue efficience: Gatien became the 93 world champion with a rubber born in 1969, a 24 years old products. Waldner and Persson won their titles with the old Banda Coppa and Grubba was still winning tournaments with the old 1967 Sriver.

It's like if Moregard went threw the WTTC final with Donic JO Waldner rubbers released in the mid-late 90's.

The only rubber that is more than a decade old that is still efficient as of pro players standards is the Tenergy series rubbers.

ESN was born in 1993 because projects to ban the speed glue were on the tables, period. The launched their first tensor rubber in 1998 when the speed glue ban was on the go (at that time light VOC speed glues was the norm), and with bigger balls being implemented.

Nobody was buying their tensors in 1998.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I hear pro attackers need to change every week? During competition every 2-3 days.

Long Pips no. It actually needs a few days to soften to get to the best stage of use. and from about a month, it can start breaking.
Some blockers that punch, I've seen girls break pips in the first week.

For Long pips, the players will know when to change - you can feel the ball not going out normal. Or the pip is broken.

3 months ago, there was one girl in the team, who told me her pip is broken - 2 days old.
I was maybe the 3rd person she shown.
I looked at it and I can't see any missing pip.

She said, it is about to break, she can feel it.
The other coach (former top 30 in the world) said, its in your imagination that is broken, because she literally couldn't train properly for that whole hour and keep looking at her pip to find that broken pip that isn't there.
A week later, she was still using that rubber. No broken pips, but what I do think is maybe quality control problem and I advise her to go for something else next time.

if you talking about pros using inverted rubbers, most competition are only 3 days long.... they won't change during competition. However they would have at least 2 bats to use. Some 3, some 4.
new rubbers put on few days before competition.
Training life span for rubbers is around 2 weeks ~2 month for males, or it doesn't feel right any more (what ever comes first)

This user has no status.

Table tennis rubbers is okay. Girl friends - maybe you shouldn't do that too quickly.

I wish!
Turns out getting a girlfriend is harder than getting a Timo Boll ALC!
That is, I have 2 more TB ALCs than gfs. I have two TB ALCs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
May I ask which brand(s) (start breaking pips) ?

Which brands don't have pips breaking - I have not seen one yet.
The power of those flat punches, sooner or later it will start breaking.

In case you don't know, other than coaching players in Africa, I am involved with an elite table tennis junior girls team in Asia. USATT 2500 junior national player comes and trains there and are on par with the better girls.
Its not just US players, the likes of your main Japanese senior girls team have visited a couple of times too.

285225240_598817428024583_8315585114206230421_n.jpg

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
Which brands don't have pips breaking - I have not seen one yet.
The power of those flat punches, sooner or later it will start breaking.

In case you don't know, other than coaching players in Africa, I am involved with an elite table tennis junior girls team in Asia. USATT 2500 junior national player comes and trains there and are on par with the better girls.
Its not just US players, the likes of your main Japanese senior girls team have visited a couple of times too.

285225240_598817428024583_8315585114206230421_n.jpg

I think I recognize some faces, is there a higher resolution photo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dayum!
Ma Long must have not participated in that tournament, because if he did, Dima would clear every other strong player until he can meet ML in the finals and lose.🤪

It wasn't a proper tournament, getting amateur to play against pros etc, Dima lost more than once to an amateur/semi pro.
However, Dima was world ranked 1 during that time, so Li can say he beaten world number 1 😁

8 new girls formally joined (6 been training with the team for past 3 years already)

of the 8, 4 are pips players. 2 long pip choppers as I mentioned before. and 2 more short pip attacking players.
4 girls graduated (1 sp fh/lp bh player), so team is now the full time 18 Ive talked about.

We would also get 3~6 players joining from the U15 team at times and another 5 boys from another school to come as training partners 3 times a week, making the 10 table training base (30+ hours training a week) very busy and lovely vibe to be in.

There are a lot more pips players than yester years (totally writing off our friend Carly's assumption of pips is #$^%@^@$# - won't repeat all the things he said)

285649096_526680449152429_7840974515143918709_n.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.

It wasn't a proper tournament, getting amateur to play against pros etc, Dima lost more than once to an amateur/semi pro.
However, Dima was world ranked 1 during that time, so Li can say he beaten world number 1 😁

8 new girls formally joined (6 been training for past 3 years)

of the 8, 4 are pips players. 2 long pip choppers as I mentioned before. and 2 more short pip attacking players.
4 girls graduated (1 sp fh/lp bh player), so team is now the full time 18 Ive talked about.

We would also get 3~6 players joining from the U15 team at times and another 5 boys from another school to come as training partners 3 times a week, making the 10 table training base (30+ hours training a week) very busy and lovely vibe to be in.

There are a lot more pips players than yester years (totally writing off our friend Carly's assumption of pips is #$^%@^@$# - won't repeat all the things he said)

285649096_526680449152429_7840974515143918709_n.jpg

Sounds like a very solid team 👍