Which blade should i take?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Just info to counter the people who are saying a slower setup won't help:

When Silk just puts his racket out, hoping to touch the ball back, sort of like funny block/half punch, the ball still flies long. If he took an actual loop stroke, the ball would hit the stratosphere. Without a slower setup he will not be able to take a fuller stroke to learn the mechanics for spinning the ball. Right now, on FH he is just putting the racket out. Or, he is trying to flat hit when he swings. With BH, when he tries to do that funny wrist shot, the ball also, frequently goes long.

I would say, slower would be quite useful because it might allow him to swing at the ball instead of just trying to put his racket in the way of the ball and hoping it goes on.

But it is true, silk needs to learn things like counter-hitting, basic strokes, really backed off fundamentals. If he has access to a coach he would benefit from it. Watching videos from places like PingSkills or Brett Clarke would be really helpful as well.

It is clear that he needs to learn how to make spin contact also. But, one thing at a time. With how many balls go long without Silk even swinging, a slower setup would be helpful. For rubbers, I think the AK47 might be fine. I also think Yasaka Mark V or Vega Intro would be fine as well. I would recommend he get the same rubbers for FH and BH.

And as for a blade, I think a Stiga Allround Evolution may be the right weapon for him. Because he likes to hit flat it won't be too slow. But it won't be too fast either. It will be a little slower than a blade like the Offensive S and a little faster than a Allround Classic.

That is what I think.

Silk, you could also practice shadow strokes.

These are just some videos that give info on certain aspects of the mechanics involved in FH and BH strokes.

In this first video I am talking about how you pivot from your elbow. Silk, the push forward thing I am showing is something certain people do when they try to do BHs. You are not doing that. You are pivoting your whole arm around your wrist instead. Mechanically it is much less accurate and much less efficient than what I am showing. So, what I am showing would be a decent place to start and would be an improvement from what you are currently trying to do. It is not really the stroke. But it is some of the mechanics of the stroke. And if one of the coaches on the forum want to take a crack at showing more of what Silk needs to do with his strokes, I am sure it would be helpful. I might be a moment analyst. But I am not a TT coach. :)

This second video, I break down a bunch of different aspects of the FH stroke:

This next video is me just simplifying things and letting the strokes be more natural rather than trying to show isolations of different parts of the movements:

This last one is a self hitting exercise that could help you practice the strokes when you don't have someone to practice with:

It always helps to watch footage of yourself. So I am glad you did. Filming every so often and watching the footage will help you improve.

You helped me a lot, thanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I honestly think, one of the most unfortunate things about table tennis forums is that people are very willing to give advice about what equipment to use to people they have not seen play. And I have to be honest. That is simply irresponsible. And most of those are simply recommending equipment they like without any consideration of whether the person they are giving the advice to plays in a style or at a level that has anything to do with the level of the person giving the advice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
If you live in São Paulo, I recommend a club called Life Pong. I took some classes there and I’ve really enjoyed. (Just quit because the pandemic)

Moreover, I don’t know what is your age, but I’m 28 now and started playing just a year and a half too.

More than the equipment issue, the main thing that you have to think about it is if you want to take this seriously, like going to amateur tournaments, play with different people at a club, even learn the fundamentals, or if you just want to have fun with people from your condo.

Table tennis is a sport and training is something boring to most people that just want to play and have fun. Even training drills are repetitive and boring (Specially when you are missing most of the shots) so you really have to have some kind of motivation...

Finding a coach is useful but also find a training partner at your condo (someone that want to learn and train new skills) is also important. It really helps when trying youtube tutorials.

I’m a starter just like you, so don’t worry too much. Feel free to DM if you prefer to talk in Portuguese.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Coaching would be good But I think you will develop much just from doing easy exercises and playing much slower. Difficult to develop the strokes when playing games and at such a high tempo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Carl, you are a really special one. You don't just give thoughtful advices but you back them up with your own valuable video examples. I like you calm way of settling matters down. Hats off to you cause many of us know a lot about our sport , but just a few dare to explain patiently over and over again.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, you are a really special one. You don't just give thoughtful advices but you back them up with your own valuable video examples. I like you calm way of settling matters down. Hats off to you cause many of us know a lot about our sport , but just a few dare to explain patiently over and over again.

Thanks. I am a teacher of something. The simple way of saying it is that I am a yoga teacher. But, really, what I do is look at people's habitual patterns of movement and how they cause stress in their daily lives and figure out how to get them to replace dysfunctional movement patterns with ones that will not cause the same kind of stress.

So, if I said movement analysis/repatterining and neuromuscular reeducation we would be more in line with what I actually do with my clients. But I don't think anyone would understand what I just said. hahahaha.

And, in normal times, if you had a film crew follow me around and saw how I work with each of my different clients, people would wonder how, what I did with any one of them had anything to do with what I do with any of what I do with all the others. But that is because I am working with whoever is in front of me and what ever is going on with them that day, which, day to day is also always a little different.

With TT I played a little as a kid and loved it. But it was recreational play with kids who were tennis players (not TT players) at a tennis club that had 1 table. And I really kind of sucked.

Then when I was 27 I played for about 3 months at a real club and I sucked.

Then I started again at 44 (11 years ago) and I sucked. But, with my background in movement analysis, I used that to figure out how to improve my strokes and get to a decent level of play.

In normal life movements, it is not too hard to replace a dysfunctional movement pattern with a more efficient movement pattern. Once your body feels the more efficient pattern and repeats it several times, the dysfunctional movement pattern usually just drops away.

With TT, things are much more complicated. You have what the legs do, how the lower body is coordinated with the upper body, and the lower body and upper body actually oppose each other or counterbalance each other. Like, when your right foot pushes down and back, your upper body should be moving forward and rotating around the core. And that has to be timed to the movement of the shoulder, then the movement of the forearm, and the release and whip of the wrist. So, with a TT stroke, often, when you correct for one issue, like core rotation, everything else falls apart. So, it is really hard to get to that point of feeling the whole movement as more efficient than what you had been doing. And often, as a result, when you make a small change in something you were doing, because everything else falls apart, you feel the change as less beneficial and go right back to the old, dysfunctional movement pattern.

AND THEN, YOU ADD THAT YOU ARE ALSO TRYING TO CONTACT A BALL THAT IS SPINNING, KICKING ON THE BOUNCE AND USUALLY HAS SOME SIDESPIN WITH WHATEVER OTHER SPIN IS ON THE BALL. :)

So, I worked really hard and isolated different aspects of the strokes until my strokes were decent. :) As a result, I can break things down acceptably. However, a real table tennis coach would be able to show some things that are missing, particularly in my presentation of the BH. But, that short video is not a bad start.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Carl! borrowing this thread a bit. I am studying for like two more years. Thinking about trying to go to Asia for a summer when Corona is over to get some tabletennis education. Not doing meditation or yoga so much at the moment but would be nice to learn a bit. Proably good for the soul. Where to go in asia for the possibility to learn both tabletennis and meditation? Japan? China? Thanks ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Carl! borrowing this thread a bit. I am studying for like two more years. Thinking about trying to go to Asia for a summer when Corona is over to get some tabletennis education. Not doing meditation or yoga so much at the moment but would be nice to learn a bit. Proably good for the soul. Where to go in asia for the possibility to learn both tabletennis and meditation? Japan? China? Thanks ;)
I am not Carl but I think I can answer your question, tt and meditation are everywhere and meditation in china is different than the japan's, there are meditation instructors everywhere and tt clubs everywhere, is I were you I would go to a country that the majority of people speaks english. China is a good place to meditate and definetly train tt, just dont say anything about the politics there or people will get mad at you

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I wonder why there are so many bots in this few weeks especially from UK, suspect...

The first thing I will say is, just because a member chooses a flag to represent a country, does not mean that is the country they are located in or from.

And I don't think there are more bots than normal. Perhaps there are more bots claiming to be from UK than normal. But that is a different thing. This is a post I made in a different thread a earlier this morning:

I delete 50-150 spambot accounts on any day where I take the time to look for them. I have ways of finding them.

However, here, read this:

cache.php
Spam-O-Matic Statistics

345620 Spammers Denied Registration
2140 Spammers Permanently Banned
5088 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

That is the stats from the site's AI that is used to catch spam accounts. So, yeah, AI used to catch AI....been there, done that, got the free tee shirt. :)

Think about the numbers of SPAMMERS DENIED REGISTRATION.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The question is a complicated one. I would say, start with an open mind. If you try meditation or yoga with at one place and are turned off by it at that place, try another place.

By the way, technically, in the west people say yoga and meditation. But, my understanding, based on the definition of Yoga from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (the authoritative text on the philosophies of yoga), the definition of yoga is: yogascittavrtti nirodhah; that means: Yoga is a state of mind where you are so fully focused on one thing that everything else seems to disappear. I would say, that is also the definition of meditation. And that can happen while you are playing table tennis or many of us would not get addicted to the sport. :)

But, one of the complications of "studying" a thing like "yoga" and/or "meditation" is that with either, often, whoever is teaching it adds their own RELIGIOUS beliefs on top of the techniques.

So....try, if you feel you go to a place that is not right for you, try again. Or buy some books if you are interested in the "meditation" aspects and see if you can learn something.

Or, sit with your eyes closed and just try to pay attention inside yourself. See what comes up. Maybe start by trying to sit still with your eyes closed for 5 min. When you feel that is not a big deal, make it 10. See what comes up. At some point, you might be sitting for a few hours and not realize it was anywhere near that long because you really got absorbed in what you were focusing on. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

China is great...fot TT. You'll definitely get a lot of playing time and there are schools that might get you in with at provincial full timers.

But meditation? You can find mountains in the clouds, burn incense, drink tea, learn tai chi, then listen to a long bearded old man beating concussion instruments while you zone out...only to see him drive away in his Maserati at the end of the day.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
....concussion instruments....

The whole post is good. But this line made me laugh as much as the rest.

A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI). It can occur after an impact to your head or after a whiplash-type injury that causes your head and brain to shake quickly back and forth. A concussion results in an altered mental state that may include becoming unconscious.

The most common percussion instruments in the orchestra include the timpani, xylophone, cymbals, triangle, snare drum, bass drum, tambourine, maracas, gongs, chimes, celesta, and piano.

I think you meant percussion instruments. :) A concussion instrument might be a club or a baseball bat. :)

I am always amazed and impressed by how many people whose first language is not English do so well posting in English on the forum. So, I don't mean this to be a criticism. I am just having fun with it. I know, in all languages you can say something that is very close to correct that means something entirely different that has a different and entertaining meaning. So, hopefully, you are not offended by my having fun with this.

But the intended content of your post, I think it is pretty good information and quite accurate. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lasta and latej
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
The question is a complicated one. I would say, start with an open mind. If you try meditation or yoga with at one place and are turned off by it at that place, try another place.

By the way, technically, in the west people say yoga and meditation. But, my understanding, based on the definition of Yoga from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (the authoritative text on the philosophies of yoga), the definition of yoga is: yogascittavrtti nirodhah; that means: Yoga is a state of mind where you are so fully focused on one thing that everything else seems to disappear. I would say, that is also the definition of meditation. And that can happen while you are playing table tennis or many of us would not get addicted to the sport. :)

But, one of the complications of "studying" a thing like "yoga" and/or "meditation" is that with either, often, whoever is teaching it adds their own RELIGIOUS beliefs on top of the techniques.

So....try, if you feel you go to a place that is not right for you, try again. Or buy some books if you are interested in the "meditation" aspects and see if you can learn something.

Or, sit with your eyes closed and just try to pay attention inside yourself. See what comes up. Maybe start by trying to sit still with your eyes closed for 5 min. When you feel that is not a big deal, make it 10. See what comes up. At some point, you might be sitting for a few hours and not realize it was anywhere near that long because you really got absorbed in what you were focusing on. :)

Hi Carl,
the definition you gave for yoga/meditation - state of mind, fully focused on one thing everything else disappears etc
would you say that this is an attribute that some top players have naturally, the ability to ‘zone out’ from everything unrelated to what they want to achieve and ‘zone in’ focus totally on what they want to achieve? I suppose this could be in a state of TT ‘Yoga’ / TT ‘meditation’ !!
Without really knowing or thinking about it, a kind of elevated concentration level?

having never done any Meditation or Yoga, but some Pilates with a relaxation period at the end. I have absolutely NO idea what happens when you meditate, but I have ‘zoned out’ fell into a totally focused state a few times during matches. I had to be told the game was over!! I knew the score but it didn’t really seem to matter!! I just wanted to win another point!!

Please take it easy on me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick!!:);)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Carl,
the definition you gave for yoga/meditation - state of mind, fully focused on one thing everything else disappears etc
would you say that this is an attribute that some top players have naturally, the ability to ‘zone out’ from everything unrelated to what they want to achieve and ‘zone in’ focus totally on what they want to achieve? I suppose this could be in a state of TT ‘Yoga’ / TT ‘meditation’ !!
Without really knowing or thinking about it, a kind of elevated concentration level?

having never done any Meditation or Yoga, but some Pilates with a relaxation period at the end. I have absolutely NO idea what happens when you meditate, but I have ‘zoned out’ fell into a totally focused state a few times during matches. I had to be told the game was over!! I knew the score but it didn’t really seem to matter!! I just wanted to win another point!!

Please take it easy on me if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick!!:);)

This may just be semantics. But the intent does not seem to match the words. I would be careful how you use the phrase "Zone Out". I am not sure that goes with the concept you are trying to discuss. I would say, "Zone In" fits. And the things that drop away when you Zone In are not things you are Zoning Out from even if they drop away or STOP DISTRACTING YOU from what you are Focusing In On.

There are lots of things that can happen in different kinds of meditation. It really does depend on what version of meditation you are referring to. There are walking meditations, there are mediations that are practiced with eyes open or closed. And here you were referring to TT having a meditative outcome. However, if, at the end of the match, you were unaware of the fact that the match ended, it is possible you were Zoning Out and Not Zoning In and I am not 100% sure that is something you would associate with the process of being fully focused on something. :)

I will give you a story. This is a funny story. It is a story meant to be informative about the subject of meditation. And it is from a school of Buddhist meditation. I don't think where it comes from matters though.

So, this meditation student goes to his teacher and he is explaining that he has had this major breakthrough in his meditation. The student explains and describes in detail and the teacher just nods his head, smiling, and listens till the student has talked himself out on the subject. Then the teacher says: "that is very nice. Is it raining out?"

The student says: "No, you don't understand....." and he explains the amazing breakthroughs he experienced in his mediation and how he reached certain ecstatic states and had experiences described in certain texts. And again, the teacher nods his head, smiling and listens until the student has talked himself out. And then he responds: "very well. Did you bring an umbrella?"

The routine repeats itself with the student telling the teacher he does not understand and makes another attempt to describe all the amazing experiences from his meditation. And then the teacher says: "that is very nice. On which side of your shoes is your umbrella?"

Again the student says: "You don't understand...." And this time the teacher cuts across him and says: "No, actually, you don't understand. If you don't know which side of your shoes your umbrella is on, then you have to go back and practice moment by moment awareness!"

:)

So, if you finished the match and did not realize the match was done, was it the thing? :) It may have been. But....it may not have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl,

I think I’m getting the concept of what you’re saying!! ;)
So even if you are concentrating hard on the task at hand you should still be able to react and digest things that are happening outside of that task. Or not let that feeling you had, distract you from the present.

You’re correct about the zoning in / out, yes I meant it’s being able to put aside the (so called) distractions, because I suppose they are only distractions if you allow them to be so!!
The ‘zoning in’ is being able to bring everything together to allow you to perform and react with and without thinking as it were.

So a player maybe thinking about playing certain shots (tactics) but not thinking about how to play those shots. (Technique) On the other hand the player may know they are playing the correct shot, but may be thinking about a slight adjustment to their technique to produce a lower trajectory flight, or more spin etc because they have realised their opponent produces a return with less quality when faced with those circumstances.

i think different people have different ways of being able to concentrate, for example Lee Trevino (LT’)when playing golf enjoyed talking and joking with his caddie and other players whilst walking to the next shot, then he could walk up to the ball, flick the concentration switch and execute his desired shot.
Whereas Tony Jacklin (I think it was) had to remove himself from LT’s direct presence when playing with him, because his way of concentrating was more of a ‘long term’ concentration period and he knew his concentration would be effected by the casual banter!!;)