Should I try H3Neo out? (coming from G1 and MX-S)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Hi everyone,

I started table tennis about a year ago after more then a decade-long break. I tried out alot of blades and rubbers in my club and noticed that I really like rubbers that have low catapult. For a few months now I have been playing with Timo Boll ZLF and Fastarc G1 on both sides, amazing setup. I climbed from about 1200 TTR to about 1500TTR with this setup (dont know how that translates in USATT). So I guess I am low-intermediate.

I am still working on my technique every week, but legs, hips, arm and wrist are getting more and more involved since its slowly clicking for me how to use my body for topspin (I was 99% arm and hips when I started again with 0 weight transfer). I am now playing with the same blade but MX-S on both sides, it has even less catapult and needs more effort to activate it but I love this feeling, since I can use my legs to create powerful shots but have great control in the short game.

Now my question: Should I try out H3 Neo? I have read countless times how good it is, but also I am intimated because everyone says its incredibly difficult to switch to chinese rubbers. Also, boosting seems like a hassle. How long can I play with a hurricane neo, do I need to replace it often? Cost is also important, and G1 and MX-S last me a long time which saves money. To be honest, I was able to try out Tibhar K3 on a friend's racket and loved it, but the price is too high and durability seems horrible so that is unfortunate.

I am curious about what you have to say. Is it worth it to try it out or should I just stick to my tensor rubbers and keep practising with them? I dont have a coach btw, just lots and lots of youtube videos, notes taking and self recording.

Is the difference between normal and provincial version significant?
Is there a major difference between falco and seamoon booster?

Cheers!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Maybe I can share my experience.

I started playing using G-1 on forehand cause of all the reviews and true enough it is a great rubber. Just like you, I got eventually got better at using weight transfer this being able to output more power on my own. This was when I realized I was bottoming out G-1 when I go for loop kills and I didn't like the feeling.

So I went on to use 729 battle 2 provincial but settled on hurricane 3 neo blue sponge provincial (39degrees) as the grip on H3 is something I can't find in other rubbers and it feels impossible to bottom out. I chose 39degrees as softer rubbers generally are more forgiving (relative to the 40,41 degree counterparts) and I didn't boost. Playing with h3 unboosted with a 7-ply allwood blade really trained me to generate power efficiently and the touch plays were made easy thanks to h3

Right now, I am playing h3 boosted with 2 layers of jiechi booster. I intend to only boost once just to give the rubber abit more elasticity compared to fresh out of the packing. Just like how most esn rubbers shrink after u tear them off, similar logic. Boosted h3 definitely is easier to play so go for the initial boost if you feel u need it. (Note: repeated boosting will deteriorate the sponge so that's why I am avoiding reboosting since I intend to use my rubber for at least a year)

Hope this helps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Maybe I can share my experience.

I started playing using G-1 on forehand cause of all the reviews and true enough it is a great rubber. Just like you, I got eventually got better at using weight transfer this being able to output more power on my own. This was when I realized I was bottoming out G-1 when I go for loop kills and I didn't like the feeling.

So I went on to use 729 battle 2 provincial but settled on hurricane 3 neo blue sponge provincial (39degrees) as the grip on H3 is something I can't find in other rubbers and it feels impossible to bottom out. I chose 39degrees as softer rubbers generally are more forgiving (relative to the 40,41 degree counterparts) and I didn't boost. Playing with h3 unboosted with a 7-ply allwood blade really trained me to generate power efficiently and the touch plays were made easy thanks to h3

Right now, I am playing h3 boosted with 2 layers of jiechi booster. I intend to only boost once just to give the rubber abit more elasticity compared to fresh out of the packing. Just like how most esn rubbers shrink after u tear them off, similar logic. Boosted h3 definitely is easier to play so go for the initial boost if you feel u need it. (Note: repeated boosting will deteriorate the sponge so that's why I am avoiding reboosting since I intend to use my rubber for at least a year)

Hope this helps

Thanks for your feedback. I also feel like I can bottom out G1 sometimes, but it is still an amazing rubber.
And it is interesting to hear that you made good progress with H3 after using G1.

I am also curious about BS vs OS on 39 or 40 degree version.
Which of these would be easier to adapt to, what are the differences in sponge colors?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Thanks for your feedback. I also feel like I can bottom out G1 sometimes, but it is still an amazing rubber.
And it is interesting to hear that you made good progress with H3 after using G1.

I am also curious about BS vs OS on 39 or 40 degree version.
Which of these would be easier to adapt to, what are the differences in sponge colors?
I feel OS has more bounce, and is easier to use if u r coming from tension rubber. Blue grabs the ball longer.

39 is more popular for amateurs. If you hit hard and boost, i would choose 40d

Reactions: ck1407
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I feel OS has more bounce, and is easier to use if u r coming from tension rubber. Blue grabs the ball longer.

39 is more popular for amateurs. If you hit hard and boost, i would choose 40d
Agree when boosted orange sponge is softer and more springy than blue sponge.

Commercial orange sponge does not have a grippy top sheet anymore. I would just go for the commercial orange sponge to try and see if you like it. Now with the top sheet not grippy anymore, I don't think it is harder to use per se. The lower throw angle is the only thing you have to look out for.

I still feel 39 degree is plenty hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Thank you all for the feedback. I bought a h3neo commercial (39 degree 2.1) and a h3neo provincial orange sponge (39 degree 2.1). I also got haifu seamoon.

Now, I want to keep it as simple as possible with the boosting since I am just doing it for the first time and I want to focus more on training.

I want to start with the commercal version. Can I just open the package, put 1 layer of booster on it, wait for it do dome and undome and go for 1-2 layers of glue and done?

What would you guys suggest to boost well but keeping it simple for my 39 degree commercial / provincial version?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Thank you all for the feedback. I bought a h3neo commercial (39 degree 2.1) and a h3neo provincial orange sponge (39 degree 2.1). I also got haifu seamoon.

Now, I want to keep it as simple as possible with the boosting since I am just doing it for the first time and I want to focus more on training.

I want to start with the commercal version. Can I just open the package, put 1 layer of booster on it, wait for it do dome and undome and go for 1-2 layers of glue and done?

What would you guys suggest to boost well but keeping it simple for my 39 degree commercial / provincial version?
Congrats to the hurricane 3 club!

Yes, start with orange sponge is a great idea!

I would put one layer of booster (it will then change shape slightly).

Wait for 24 hours to apply another layer of booster (that's when it will dome up slightly).

Then wait 24-48 hours before gluing the rubber to your blade. Please note, even 48 hours later, the rubber is still dome up. If you want to wait until the rubber changes back to more a flat shape, then you may need to wait 3-4 days after the second layer of booster. Just being honest with you.

I usually put the rubber on my blade even when it is domed up. It is a bit harder to stick it to your blade when it is domed up like that but I don't really care.

Despite neo coming with a layer of glue already applied to it, you still need to apply two (not one layer but two layers) layers of glue to the rubber just to make sure the rubber sticks to the paddle well. Then turn over the racket and really pressed on the racket against the rubber hard for a bit before you start cutting the rubber.

I find that there is often some edge pocket around the rubber where the glue is not properly attaching the rubber to the blade (maybe due to the rubber being dome up now) so that's why I really press the blade against the rubber for some moment before I start cutting.

If you have some trouble attaching the rubber to the blade, due to the edges of the rubber and blade not attaching properly (probably due to the doming again), just take the rubber off. Apply one more layer of booster (the third layer) and then let is sit for 24-48 hours. Somehow that layer of booster will dissolve the glue you applied to the rubber during your failed attempt and mix the glue and booster so that when you stick the rubber to the blade again, it will stick very well.

Ok the above sounds complicated but it really isn't. I have a tendency to apply booster late at night and then just go to sleep and let it sit there. so I spend really minimal amount of time each day for this process. Quite frankly I can apply the booster in less than 6 seconds. And then just let it sit. I love to EJ so I have 8 blades of the same maker and model. So having one blade out of commission for 3-4 days, is not a big deal. All of them have Hurricane 3 on the forehand so I can afford to wait on the 8th blade to be prepared properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Thanks for the feedback! So I went for 1 layer , I tried to make it thin but I think I failed (was my first time).

After 6 hours the rubber looks like this. Should I go for another layer or not? And if yes, when do I put it on?

Its the 39 degree commercial version.

Thanks!
C1AA7FC2-5B13-46E6-8D4D-36569DA6F92E.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Thanks for the feedback! So I went for 1 layer , I tried to make it thin but I think I failed (was my first time).

After 6 hours the rubber looks like this. Should I go for another layer or not? And if yes, when do I put it on?

Its the 39 degree commercial version.

Thanks!
View attachment 28293
Try it first. Then if its too slow for you, you can try boosting another layer. But there is eventually diminishing returns

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
If it is infact too slow and I have to reboost, do I have to peel off the glue or just boost again on top of it?

Actually I dont think my initial layer was that thick. But it domed quite a lot and I never tried h3 neo, so It might be fine to start with 1 layer and play I guess?

@JJ Ng what do you think?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
If it is infact too slow and I have to reboost, do I have to peel off the glue or just boost again on top of it?

Actually I dont think my initial layer was that thick. But it domed quite a lot and I never tried h3 neo, so It might be fine to start with 1 layer and play I guess?

Yes, peel off the glue and apply another layer. It did dome quite a bit for 1 layer, so might be enough for you. Pros apply 3-4 layers, and they glue them as soon as the booster dries, so just do whatever you want and there's no need to wait for long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Of course you can go ahead and try with 1 layer.

No, you dont have to take glue off. Just add another layer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I am impressed by the amount of doming you accomplished with just one layer of booster!

Go ahead and play with it. And see if you like it.

If you are not happy and you want to peel it off, just add another layer of booster. I agreed @TensorBackhand you do not need to peel off the glue in order to apply another layer of booster.

In fact I love to keep that layer of glue on because when you mix the extra layer of booster, it mixes with the pre-existing glue to make it easier to glue the second time!

Also when you apply the second layer of booster, the sponge will expand one more time so you can cut the edge again to fit the racket even better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Okay, thank you all alot for your feedback. I will glue tonight (1 or 2 layers?) and then play with it tomorrow.

Will let you know how my first experience with hurricane 3 will be hehe (I expect almost every topspin to go straight into the net in the beginning)
Don't worry you will adapt quickly, but certainly you will have to spend at least one hour with this rubber till the initial tackiness comes down. The real challenge probably will be the smash and quite possibly the block. I believe your serve , push and short game will improve a lot. Top spinning is easy and it can be deadly but that depends on your own technique. You must expect a general decrease of speed, not dramatic though

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
I finished my first training session with the h3 neo (commercial, 1 layer of booster, 2 layers of glue) and can share my impressions for anyone interested.

about me : two-winged looper, about 1400TTR (I dont know to what that translates in USATT). keep in my that I still practise my form and technique every week, like weight transfer etc.
blade: Timo Boll ZLF

first impressions: I was expecting to play with a dead rubber that will alot of take time to adjust to. actually, coming from g1 and mx-s, it wasnt hard to just play with this rubber. sure, it has alot less bounce and less catapult, but not to the point that its difficult to put the ball on the other side of the table.

fh drive: felt good, I already practised going over the ball when driving in the last months. I used that technique and it felt comfortable and controlled

fh loop: took a bit of time to adjust. arc is very low with my regular technique and spin was less than mx-s. I started to open my racket angle more while brushing forward and up, then the ball got a really good kick and good spin (but not more than mx-s, was about the same). for sure this is due to my lacking technique though, which I will practise more.

Blocking: I read that you have to do active spinblocks with h3 but to my surprise you can do regular passive blocks with it. however, these arent good and a bit inconsistent, it doesnt feel controlled.
I then used active spin blocks which were amazing because the lack of catapult doesnt make me overshoot. they were also quite slow though

counter loop close to the table: I was positively suprised, it was quite easy to hit through the opponents spin.

short game: so so easy. the rubber ignores spin and you can easily keep the ball low and short without thinking.

serves: very comfortable to do, easy to keep it short and low. spin was decent but not more, I am sure again this is due to my technique though .

smashing: was better than expected, I normally tend to overshoot when smashing but that didnt happen. however, power when smashing was low

Overall, it was good to play with h3 but not an eye opener or anything like that. obviously, I am just a low-intermediate player who is still working on fundamentals so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Definetly looking forward to keep improving my fh loops with this rubber :)

Last edited: