timing when playing against float

This user has no status.
played in a competition at the weekend against a defender, lost in straight sets.

In the first game he chopped with heavy spin I lost 11-9, he then played a lot more float where I lost 11-2 and 11-2

He told me after the game that he could see that I could lift his heavy backspin so he switched to playing float which I either top spinned into the net or lifted off the end of the table.

So the question is what is the correct timing and racket angle when playing low and long float returns.

all answers gratefully received.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, so he pulled the carpet out from you by taking off spin haha. That happens. You just have to see it coming. Killing or making a strong shot vs a no-spin or light spin ball is different in many ways. Chopper kills you with this variation as you are ready to attack it like it is heavy and you will be off time, out of position, reaching, wrong bat angle and swing plane haha.

You need to first of all recognize early that it is a light chop coming at you instead of heavy. You learn this from how your opponent gives you certain balls from a certain spin you give him if you cannot tell from the sound, flight path and bounce.

Once you see a floater coming your way, you should get happy. Move into position a little closer. The ball will not kick out as far. Take the ball earlier than you would for a heavy chop. Impact the ball at the height of bounce or at any time the ball is on the rise higher than the net. Open the blade LESS than what you use for looping underspin. It should be around vertical and you adjust for the spin. Swing FORWARD instead of half upwards. Make SOLID contact, accelerate through the ball. Use legs and waist to start the power. Do NOT drop your shoulder. Keeping the racket chest high before backswing is a good way to force you to rotate waist and shoulders. Finish forward and a tad more upwards if the spin is a little more than a float.

What is tricky about this is you often do not pay attention enough to the impact and get the knuckleball or light chop. It will brake on the table a bit more, causing it to not come out as much as you expect and the timing of the ball's arrival is different. That gets you both out of optimal position AND on the wrong time, PLUS it makes you do last second adjustment lunge that will through off your weight transfer and swing plane.

That can wreck a LOT of Havoc if you do not see it coming and be ready. Defenders make their points from making it a little difficult to see their spin variations. On favorite tactic of a chopper is to chop heavy, win point after point, then allow the opponent to adapt and expect heavy chops, then they switch expectantly to light chop or float, which the opponent loops off the end and scratches hiz head!!! That is the LULZ of a defender.

If you are dead set on attacking them, go for it, they are easy balls to slap hard if you are prepared. Slap it right at their body FAST and watch them struggle to return it. A variation is to step in and touch it as short as you can. Even if it is not short, it will make chopper come in and you can slap the next ball and make him scramble some moar. Slap it by them at a wide angle if it is there, but so many choppers are great at getting to balls wide to either wing. Shoot for the head shot. Hit is hard so it bounces high to their head. It is very difficult to return. If you can mess their repositioning up and give you a ball that is not endline deep, you are in the driver's seat as an attacker as you have more angles to work with.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If somehow he manages a very low float (that is difficult to do and land it deep !!), but if he can do it, then you can always take away power from your shot and do a half lift, half power shot spinny and DEEP. The high arc is troublesome to many choppers is it is different timing and sudden drop. Their timing must be right on time to chop that. Also, if they are pulling the carpet out on you, well TWO can play that game !!!

You can FAKE heavy topspin your "Safe" return deep of their float !!!

Try it out. Get your opponent accustomed to your safe return then start Operation Frustration !! Take off the spin of your safe heavy topspin and do a fake follow through. Grunt lightly like you used a lot of power to make spin. Watch opponent chop a topspin that is not there and float it long off the table, then you get to make emergency call to a psychotherapist for your suddenly frustrated chopper opponent !!!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great posts guys.

When I play defenders or the way I have been told to play them from high level coaches is to really take your time and don't fall into a choppers trap.

Simply begin by rolling the ball on the table varying your placement. Every now and then, push one to bring the defender into the table. This will not only get him tired but it will break his comfort zone. You then spin again. Your objective is to wait for an opportunity to play hard if his receive is high. And then you attack the ball with power to his body or wide.

The question against float. Sometimes you can tell if its float from the noise or the speed of the incoming ball. If the ball is coming in very slow, sometimes this suggests its heavy backspin, if the ball is coming in fast it can be float. Some players have said they watch the print of the ball as it rotates. If they cannot see the print of the ball it suggests the ball is spinny, if they can see the print it suggests the ball is float.

The only other option really is to try and practice against this type of opponent you struggle with. It is important to practice against all types so that you naturally develop your own set of skills to play these types of players.

My number 1 advice against these players is to, 'be patience'.

Keep us posted on your next opponent similar to this style buddy.