Der_Echte in NYC

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm sure NextLevel was joking around a bit, since that is his kind of sense of humor.

But sometimes people are BH dominant or FH dominant in spite of their best efforts to improve and change that. I work on my FH all the time. I never work on my BH. The more I work on my FH, the better my BH gets. My FH is fine. It isn't bad. I can spin the ball pretty well. But it is nowhere near as good as my BH in spite of the fact that I work on my FH 95% more than I work on my BH. I think I know of a few other people like that. :)

But, for a right handed player developing a BH, there is nothing better than training with a good left handed player like Matt. Trading BHs with a lefty FH is awesome for improving the BH. So I really doubt the BH has anything to do with the coaching he has received. And I would say, going from 900 to 1900 in that short a time is impressive no matter how you slice it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I already see me getting late. Was gunna leave right at 1200, but with what the wife wants to do first, gunna be arriving later than I want to.

I am still shooting for 6PM kinda time arrival in NYC, so we see how it goes. Prolly gunna run into jokers making crazy delays on freeway too. I will get there when I get there.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It won't be the first time you're late to your own party. We will start without you. But there may still be some beer left by the time you show up. Chicken, we'll have probably eaten that already though.

Sent from my OuterSpacePhone using TroubleMakerTalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lol no wonder he has no backhand? What you think I can't teach people how to play a backhand or something?

He has a long way to go, Lily has been working with him a lot especially now that I'm out of the country. He's a smart kid but tends to get a bit soft and often backed off the table where he really struggles to stay in rallies, especially if people are giving him a lot of variation. Props to him though he never gives up on a ball! :D

Well, while I am joking, let's just say if he had your backhand technique, I wouldn't complain at all when playing him though unfortunately, he is a lefty so it doesn't help me as much as it could. Your backhand technique relies a lot on your physical strength to work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But, for a right handed player developing a BH, there is nothing better than training with a good left handed player like Matt. Trading BHs with a lefty FH is awesome for improving the BH. So I really doubt the BH has anything to do with the coaching he has received. And I would say, going from 900 to 1900 in that short a time is impressive no matter how you slice it.

Matt primarily coaches the lefties - the kid is left handed.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NYC V3.0 of the forum jokers and trouble makers is in the books and what a great time it was. I posted on FB that is was a great time in the tt club and an excellent TT growth/development leadership conference we had (at the diner booth grousing about TT situation and how to improve it)

A couple pics

V1.jpg
v2.jpg
v3.jpg

Ladies and gents, you are looking at the entire production run of special edition 1.0 Nexy Contrast jersey for USA Nexy sponsored players. V2.0 has Team Nexy all over it very conspiculously. Abe must have worn this shirt at school and had the nurse fall in love with him and referred him to the Athletic Director to audition 70+ kids for the school team he proposed... or Abe waz bad-azz enough in hiz own right to do it all by hiz lonesum.

The day started with me driving in late after a hard time even leaving home station for a SIX hour drive. Picked up PP Holic and of course I told him the wrong train station haha, but I turned on the SANCTIONED Men in Black transformer button and I navigated to his position within 15 minutes.

Henry aka 42&back pains if he keeps avoiding 2000-3000mg of niacin a day dude helped arrange a safe landing zone at NYISC TTC and what a time we had.

Role Call:

Carl: Present
42&Backpains: present
Agold: Damn skippy present wouldn't miss it for the world even if it waz an hour out of the way
Edmund: on point present
PP Holic from MyTT: present
Der_Echte: present at 1812 pm
Carl's BH smashing friend who has a TTD ID with Smashing in it: Present

Roll call and formation concluded with a photo op session, followed by an insane number of random singles, doubles games, 1-2 beers (hey, we had to keep it light!, and more singles doubles grubbing down drinking (water, we waz thirsty) and all manner of fun in NYISC.

I played everyone except PP Holic, by then, my hammy was getting too tight middle front, so i backed off and eased into another 2-3 doubes games. We almost tore up my partner's knee (Carl's friend he invited) at the end of the night, we had to stop the match, but it looked like it was something he could walk off and no real tear.

I played Next Level in a match he filmed, heck he must have filmed 10 mathes and had enough film to make FIVE full length documentaries !!!

ALL games (except last game, which went to 11-9) went to DUECE and first game was 19-17. ANY game coulda gone either way and the take home from it is several fold.

1) Next Level doesn't take crap from anyone, on internet or i person and is big enough to smash U in ur choppers if you complain.

2) Next Level's mobility (and courage to do so in spite of pain) are consistent with his internet vids.

3) Next Level ha s one motor scooter of a BH, strong and effective lime mine, but impacts it different, and also has a couple different BH shots.

4) I could not rememebr hiz real name to save my life.

5) NL knows how to KEEP it real.

6) Just like you might have noticed from OOAK forum and MyTT, NL is very dedicated and has an honest and effective way to evaluate himself and identify/rectify what is causing him to lose points/games/matches.

Carl was hiz fun luvin' self.

I played doubles a LOT cause I luv it, and still, i can be a diffiuclt partner sometimes as I expect a certain way to communicate and fight and I expect a LOT out my partner and myself. Abe had some tight moments with me as partner, but we fought through and made a real fight vs next level and his partner. We were way outgunned, but took it to 11-9 in 5th... but lost. Yet, Abe won... a lot of respect. I have no business asking Abe to impact ball a certain way when he trains another, I hope I didn't set him back months or get him in trouble with coach or parents. Yet Abe is a real trooper, I don't know how I woulda handled something like this at Abe's age. What was weird is I am a much better receiver of serve BH in doubles and Abe is LH, so I had to mostly receive FH, which I cannot really spell Fh flick worth a crap, yet I made some tat were captured on Next Level's digi cam.

All In all, we all had our own blasts and special thanks to Henry and the club owners of NYISC for putting up with us, especially Der_Echte's random shouts in German, salty English, or Korean when stuff didn't go his way or on nets. :D

Carl is really the glue holding this operation together.

We must have ponged until 1230 or 0100. ONLY hunger and under-hydrated muscles stopped us from going longer.

After it was all over, 42 and Back Pains, PP HOlic, Me, and Next Level went to a 24 hr diner and grubbed down royally.

We finished the mision sometime after 0200, yet there were all kind of jokers active all over NYC, a true 24 hr city.

I had concerns about my game after a long couple years of very infrequent TT, I had thought I was a little better than my former Korean level after all the regular TT over the last 3 months and a decent amount of healing of my rotator cuff tear...

I reckoned my level was BETTER than my former Korean level, maybe 50 pts better, a half level at that level.

I estimated 1950-2000. I did tourney last week that made front page of USATT (Smash Tri-State District Championships) and defeated both 1920-1940 players, so I thought 1950 was about right, maybe I had a good night today and maybe I can reach better soon next tourney. Either way, Next Level is the real thing and if you doubt it, I will kick Ur azz over the internetz, Carl's improvement in many match situations is OBVIOUS, but he never had me serving to him during that time, he had TRICKS up his sleevies.

Edmund Seun is such an under-rated force in the NYC and national scene, he needs to be discussed as a study.

ALL, I mean EVERY one of who showed up are CLASS people and can BE and ARE indeed TT LEADERS in every way dedicated motivated sincere no-shyt TT luvin sacrificing souls who will move the sport forward in USA and later the world.

Our group discussion/leadership conference at the diner produced the conclusion that despite many REAL financial, cultural, and physical barriers to growth, the REAL ANSWER lies with finding a way to get children more involved in playing TT at the school levle in HUGE numbers. Abe has a jump on things and we need to clone Abe x1000 to get a start.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will start with some photos:

362084ee9ecf4908fa6bf7d2696a89e8.jpg

67afddd709d237e307a9a67a7a435afb.jpg

e6f736b7a697b69e7cdef81f7c35f7bb.jpg

3fcde95f762e06baadaea0e934da937c.jpg

Those are photos taken during a doubles match. On the near side are Abe and Der_Echte. On the far side are NextLevel (Laj) and PingPongHolic (Ming)

Der_Echte was trying to educate Abe in doubles strategy but, true to form, Abe made most of the winning shots for their team even when Der_Echte was in the way. Hahaha. No, that wasn't always true. But NextLevel and PingPongHolic were too good a team for William and Abe.

Sent from my OuterSpacePhone using TroubleMakerTalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played a lot of great matches (lost of all them). Lost to Der Echte (he should be called HTS_Man, or High Toss Servy Dude, not BH_Man), Lost to Carl's BH Smashing friend dude (that guy makes me want to bring back my smash game) and lost to PingPongHolic (he plays faster that even the kids I know so his pure athleticism and deception is going to make him a very high level amateur soon). Carl wanted to get in on the beat up NL act as well. Carl is a nut like his internet character.

Went out of dinner and left NY after 2:30 am. Going to play a tournament today. So either my opponents thank you guys for wearing me out or despise you for preparing me - we shall see.

BH Man taught me a lot of TT when the camera was off unfortunately. So did PPH. I learned a lot yesterday so hopefully I will be teaching a lot too once I figure it out.

Thanks guys for a great time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So the meetup did help...lol:D Congrats!!!

I had DeWitt down 1-2 games, 2-5 4th set at Westchester in January (or December) before collapsing after a ball busting point. This win at least lets me close the chapter on that loss. And I think BH Man's demonstration of a few things helped me appreciate DeWitt's game better and even something that has always confused me more clearly.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NL, I know we talked about a lot of stuff, but what tangible things did I manage to clearly articulate in spite of myself?

BTW, I metup with Carl and PP Holic again tonite at SPiN.

More LULZ, great practice, goofing around in doubles with a dude who showed up at our table, Carl and PP Holic puttin' on a SHOW training that looked so good, they had two customers come over and watch courtside as a real interest.

Had another PP Holic meal in China town this time and also with Carl. Too bad I don't live in NYC, the three of us would likely form a council to rule the city somehow. Personally, I would just be satisfied with getting large numbers of school children to WANT to be in TT.

Man this stuff is great, not just the TT action, but also the personal and group interaction.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NL, I know we talked about a lot of stuff, but what tangible things did I manage to clearly articulate in spite of myself?

I always tried to understand the link between grip pressure and racket acceleration as inputs and ball quality as outputs and you gave me stuff to think about. I wish I had taped it because it would have been pretty good to study.

When I read everyone rambling (HAHAHA) now and put your voices all to your posts, they all read better and make much more sense.:p No, seriously.;)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
NextLevel, Congratulations for doing so well and taking a match from Richard Dewitt. That is awesome stuff and your rating will go up decently as a result.

As far as our OCD Table Tennis extravaganza, here is how I will sum things up.

First, Der_Echte is always trying to underrate himself. The first time I met him he was trying to say he was probably a level lower than me and I would probably win all my matches against him. LOL. I know my level and NextLevel, Der_Echte and PingPongHolic are solid players well above my level.

Before we all met this time Der_Echte was saying he was a level to a level and a half lower than NextLevel. The truth is, I am a level and a half lower than NextLevel and Der_Echte. We know that it is not a guess. And NextLevel and William are really at the same level. If they played 10 matches they probably would have gone 5-5. In the one match they played, 3 of the 4 game went to deuce and the first game had a score that made it look like it was from the days of 21 point games.

My friend Paul Misir, is SmashFan on MyTT. NextLevel, PingPongHolic and Der_Echte are really all about the same level. If they played each other enough matches they would be going back and forth over and over.

NextLevel said: "Played a lot of great matches (lost all of them)."

That could make it sound like he did not win any matches. That is not the case. But the matches he won against me, I guess you could not call them "great" matches. Hahaha.

The first match he crushed me and the score may as well have been 3-3-3. :) The next match we played later, he didn't play hard and for the first two games of the match he let me control the action and after I was up 2-0 he started forcing me to take more uncomfortable shots. Yes: he won 3-2. He is enough better than me he can spot me 2 games and win. And I don't think NextLevel is going to give too many mercy matches.

I did sort of make sure that NextLevel and SmashFan got to play each other and Der_Echte and PingPongHolic. I should have made Der_Echte play PPH also but I've seen those guys go at it before and I did not realize they would duck each other so I didn't bother. :)

Another thing to know about NextLevel: his shots are hard and fast and have a ton of spin. A high percentage of his FH loops are about a foot and a half above the table a foot before the end line and then they arc down fast and land, and KICK like a mule. He pushes the pace more than anyone else there at the club last night. He is much better than you could possibly tell from his videos. He is a really solid player. And even though he says he doesn't move much, he moves and he moves more than he may even realize.

One thing I saw in Der_Echte's game that I had not seen before, he took a lot of FH shots going to the BH side. He took a bunch of shots where he stepped around his BH to take the FH. And most of those were solid winners placed where the opponent wasn't going to get them.

I played everyone as well and against SmashFan, NextLevel, PingPongHolic and Der_Echte, I was not going to win any matches because I am just not at their level yet. That being said, Der_Echte and PingPongHolic can tell how much my level has changed since they last saw me in November of 2014. I am a couple of levels better than I was back then. But have a couple of levels to go to catch up to them still.

Now, 42andbackpains says he is rated 1421 and the USATT rating page supports this assertion. However, he is a much better player than the rating he says he has. I am not sure how he got that. But I suspect he sandbagged to be able to enter under 1500 and win.

We played a match and, yeah, I did win and yeah, I did win 3-0 but he was pretty close in all the games. And I played a high school kid later whose rating was 1779 and I had way less trouble against the high school kid than I did against 42andbackpains.

Against the high school kid, after winning the first two games at 5, the last game I was doing my best to let the kid get points and was going to let him win the game but he did something that pissed me off when he was up 9-7 so I decided to take the match then and there and won 11-9 in the 3rd game.

So I think, if 42andbackpains played a few more tournaments, it would be a matter of time till his rating was over 1600 maybe even over 1700. His technique is definitely solid. But it seems he is just coming back after a long layoff from play. And I can tell from his strokes that he used to be a much higher level player than he is now.

All in all, we had so much fun that Der_Echte, PingPongHolic and I had to do it again for a few hours today.

Der_Echte already said something about that. I will say just a bit more. It was just a bit unfortunate for Der_Echte and PingPongHolic that on Sunday nights Spin NYC pulls down a few projector screens and plays music videos from Broadway Musicals way to loud for real table tennis play. If you were a sociologist watching odd behavioral traits in NYC hipsters, this would have been a great location for doing research. But loud weirdos singing loudly and badly with a crowd of happy young men avidly focused as they stare at the screen for the likes of Bette Midler is not exactly my cup of tea and I am not sure it goes so well with hearing the contact and the bounce of the ball to have your eardrums bombarded by that kind of assault.

Even still, we had a blast and a great dinner in NYC's Chinatown. Where we got to talk about getting more kids involved in playing the sport as one of the sanest options for growing the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here is the playlist - Youtube can be very flaky when you associate a match to a playlist when uploading so it took some time to get all the videos together:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtSNEzDr3s4QfdQD3_B6ICvu

May do an edit someday if we want to advertise but right now, just look for the match you have in mind - it may be longer than you would like to watch but feel free to skip around. And of course, sometimes, someone may have messed with the camera and made it not quite what it should have been.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is the playlist - Youtube can be very flaky when you associate a match to a playlist when uploading so it took some time to get all the videos together:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtSNEzDr3s4QfdQD3_B6ICvu

May do an edit someday if we want to advertise but right now, just look for the match you have in mind - it may be longer than you would like to watch but feel free to skip around. And of course, sometimes, someone may have messed with the camera and made it not quite what it should have been.

It is pretty awesome how you were able to video so many of the matches. Thanks.