Which rubbers do you consider superior to tenergy 05?

There you speak of Xiom Omega 7 Tour "i-select".

Is that some kind of modification of the standard Omega 7 Tour?

The factory boosting for the i-select is the closest to what the sponsored xiom pros are using. Also, the quality and durability is a bit further enhanced.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Mx-p for me is not a superior to tenergy 05 but maybe on par. Tenergy was slightly better in looping and serving and sponge durability (for me) but worse in smashing, blocks, short pushes and price. Counter looping is about the same.
Still keen to try mx-d, hopefully my current pair of mx-p will wear out soon and I'll be finally able to try mx-d.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

A few examples please Yogi? Especially (for those that don't really like hard rubbers) of any that are more-or-less the same hardness as T-05?

Unfortunately, all are above 50 degrees. Xiom Omega 7 Guang and Ying.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
In low-impact mechanical testing, older grippy models are already comparable to T05 in spin, such as G-1 and Rakza X. Latest grippy ones such as Ventus Extra is comparable to T05 in both speed and spin. All 3 are roughly 47.5°. In terms of area-to-weight ratio, G1 is closest to T05. The other rubbers released in the same time frame respectively should not be that far off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
In low-impact mechanical testing ...
I watched a handful of those videos and I must say the results of the G-1 : T-05 comparison don't surprise me at all. The G-1 is about 10% slower, and has about the same spin (a tiny bit more, in fact).

I would be interested to know what the comparisons would look like at mid-to-high impact. I don't know if there's a reliable way to objectively test that though.

Nevertheless, a pretty cool set of videos!

Reactions: zeio
Jan 2018
To test at higher speeds, a custom robot is necessary, such as the "Chiquita-kun" at JTTA.

Butterfly is capable of testing impacts at over 22 m/s, roughly equivalent to a loop kill. They have a custom test bed for that.

It's amusing over 13 years later T05 is still so competitive that ESN can't match it pound for pound. T05/D05/Rozena weighing in at ~70g shows Butterfly's prowess at the molecular level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What level do you guys think you need to be to really benefit from great rubbers? Feel like rubbers with great grip only work if the player is good enough to actually make spin and to feel a difference. I also believe that many rubbers that can make great spin also are more sensitive for the opponents spin so maybe not so good to use those rubbers if you are not on a certain level.

Reactions: Peppa Pig
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
What level do you guys think you need to be to really benefit from great rubbers? Feel like rubbers with great grip only work if the player is good enough to actually make spin and to feel a difference. I also believe that many rubbers that can make great spin also are more sensitive for the opponents spin so maybe not so good to use those rubbers if you are not on a certain level.

Depends on the player. If he gets more control from extra spin than he loses from extra spin sensitivity then it's a net benefit. The balance comes down to style as much as level. Delicate over the table play probably needs a higher level than mid distance looping.

Reactions: JBH7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
To many opinions and statements made without facts to back them up.
I read threads like this and shake my head in wonder.
If there was as data base of all the rubbers with their normal and tangential COR as a function of impact speed and angle, would it make a difference to the discussions made on TT forums? It would remove a lot of the opinions or would it?

Why is tacky rubber spinnier?
Control is a function of the player, not the equipment.

Perhaps I should start a thread about control in engineering/physics terms.

It takes skill to produce spin with tacky rubbers but yes tacky rubbers are spinnier than non tacky ones of you know how to properly contact the ball. This is why playing correctly is important. There are things that are pretty obvious and can be felt when you have been playing with the correct skills and not with a recreational/basement pingpong type of skill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
It takes skill to produce spin with tacky rubbers but yes tacky rubbers are spinnier than non tacky ones of you know how to properly contact the ball. This is why playing correctly is important. There are things that are pretty obvious and can be felt when you have been playing with the correct skills and not with a recreational/basement pingpong type of skill.

l am no expert l am quoting one here "very top chinese coach coach Lin on you tube , tenergy was not added to by butterfly for 12 years ,they had the best selling rubber and it played the best , then last years they brought out dignics 05 09 then tenergy 19.. this shows 05 had been overtaken by better rubbers they needed some new rubber! so new stock is out ! Lin says only 3 series are better than tenergy oxiom 7 series and stiga mantra [not DNA] series + G1 but G1 is no good for backhand ?? ,,, he has yet to test others !

l am no expert l am quoting one here "very top chinese coach coach Lin on you tube , tenergy was not added to by butterfly for 12 years ,they had the best selling rubber and it played the best , then last years they brought out dignics 05 09 then tenergy 19.. this shows 05 had been overtaken by better rubbers they needed some new rubber! so new stock is out ! Lin says only 3 series are better than tenergy oxiom 7 series and stiga mantra [not DNA] series + G1 but G1 is no good for backhand ?? ,,, he has yet to test others !

Hurricane 3 outsells the Tenergy 05 due to lesser price and performance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Dignics rubber are superior to Tenergy. more grip, more spin. Only for blocking and flat hitting i think Tenergy is better than Dignics.
oh, and Dignics last longer than Tenergy. I play with T80 on FH and D80 on BH, i buy them at the same time, so i clearly see the FH grip dying before the BH, although i'm a BH oriented player.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Eureka! Eureka! Eureka!

I have found the true answer to this million dollar question, " what is better than a Tenergy 05 rubber? "

And my answer to this million dollar question, " what is better than a Tenergy 05 rubber? " as I recently found out is;

" Two sheets of Tenergy 05 rubbers! "

One for FH use and the other for BH use. This should be the ultimate answer to the above question, period.

• Haha
Reactions: cytivrat and JeffM