2024 WTT Champions Incheon 03.27-03.31 Korea

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Nah, that one I like it, but I like H VS S better.
The quality of some of the shots that Sun Yingsha made in that match were flat out amazing - it gave you a good idea of how Hayata's defence frustrates regular players but Sun Yingsha ran down and attacked *everything*. The lack of highlight videos for these matches will hurt WTT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
The quality of some of the shots that Sun Yingsha made in that match were flat out amazing - it gave you a good idea of how Hayata's defence frustrates regular players but Sun Yingsha ran down and attacked *everything*. The lack of highlight videos for these matches will hurt WTT.
True, the react time and agility of both them really amazing me. Hayata did a good job on the first set. Third ball attack. Body straight line defense. So enjoyed the match.

It's a result of two things - one is desperation and a desire to get into a rally quickly. But the more critical thing is having practice partners on the level of the opponent to make you realize this is a huge mistake. Harimoto can do what he did against 99% of players and get decent results blocking and countering. The four or five player that he can do it against and not get good results under pressure all come from one country that he almost never gets to train against.

Look at Liang Jingkun and imagine you are Harimoto or LYJ - how are you going to practice against that backhand variation, often off the bounce, using hard sponge Tacky rubber on both sides? I sometimes feel sorry for the opponents.
I think these is a pretty flawed service. Tactically, anyway. :unsure:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think these is a pretty flawed service. Tactically, anyway. :unsure:
I can't see the image but I don't doubt the services were flawed, I am juat saying that Harimoto serves long more than average. Watch the finals of the Japanese Championships and see how many times the announcers called it out and how often he won the points against power looper like Togami. Then of course contrast this with what happens when he is playing Oh Junsung and Fan Zhendong.

Even Felix does it a lot. Then he plays Ma Long and then Ma Long kills a few with his forehand. You just sometimes have to know who not to that stuff against.

Reactions: Metaxa
I can't see the image but I don't doubt the services were flawed, I am juat saying that Harimoto serves long more than average. Watch the finals of the Japanese Championships and see how many times the announcers called it out and how often he won the points against power looper like Togami. Then of course contrast this with what happens when he is playing Oh Junsung and Fan Zhendong.

Even Felix does it a lot. Then he plays Ma Long and then Ma Long kills a few with his forehand. You just sometimes have to know who not to that stuff against.
Oh that's pity the link won't open. It's a "reel" from Instagram that I saw passing on WTT between Darko Jorgic & LJK. Darko served from his FH with his BH to LJK's FH, who pushes there with his BH....

This user has no status.
To be honest its a big disingenuous to say that. Darko did a backhand serve from his forehand yes, but this is common for a lot of backhand service players who want to serve into the opponents wide forehand.

LJK was aiming to give a backhand flick from the serve as he was winning a lot with backhand openers from serves (see why he did that serve from the FH side, to make it wider and harder to flick well) but decided at the last moment not to and pushes. but its obvious that wasn't the plan.

while that may look odd as its not mechanically ideal, it actually was application of tactics. This worked as LJK was forced to push when he wanted to flick.

This user has no status.
LJK's style is uninspiring - strong BH close to the table 🥱🥱. But this boring style tends to be the most effective
It's not so simple. He also has immense shot quality on his balls, and his short game is actually quite good. It's the kind of "shut down the opponent" style that ZJK really excelled at back then.

LJK long push is also probably the best in the game at the moment. That wrist snap generates such huge underspin on it that it is giving everyone trouble.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh that's pity the link won't open. It's a "reel" from Instagram that I saw passing on WTT between Darko Jorgic & LJK. Darko served from his FH with his BH to LJK's FH, who pushes there with his BH....
I think @passifid Is right, there is nothing that prevents you from wanting to Chiquita a ball, see that the ball is not what you expected, then push it, or even to see that the ball is what you expected, but decide it is a smarter play to push into the opponent's forehand since the ball is 90% likely to come back to the forehand side and you trust your forehand countertopspin. In fact, how Darko usually wins points is when opponents push into his backhand and then he kills the ball with his backhand back into their forehand and the down the line shot is too fast while they are recovering back into the backhand waiting on a cross court shot. Because Dima does this backhand push habitually doesn't mean the play itself is bad. The problem for Dima is that his lack of serious alternatives makes him exploitable vs a certain level of player.

This user has no status.
Hugo for some reason doesn't like to just do an opening loop with the BH, staying there and exchange BH-BH rallies. He just wants to loopkill the ball ASAP even when he makes 10001 mistakes doing that. He also somehow refuses to open his racket angle against stronger backspin, often compromising his body positioning to do an outrageous loopkill. I think he would play better if he trained a lot of medium power BH countering and loops focused on spin variation, consistency rather than all out crazy power.

ZJK used to love playing like that until he entered the CNT national team and they kept drilling him on these medium power consistency.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
wow really all of a sudden everyone is 2600 with all the analysis with precision, down to the specific details ;)
Lol, when I watch a match (like table tennis) or a game (like basketball), my mind is shut off. I just want to see good interesting rally. I really do not care much about tactics.

When I play a match, yes, I am constantly thinking about testing out the opponent's forehand, backhand and the middle with various serves. And trying to vary my return so my opponent does not always third-ball attack me.

I am very impressed by people analyzing these matches because top players don't really have a lot of weaknesses.

For example in the Hayata vs Sun Yingsha match, I just see a lot of amazing shots! I don't really see any tactics at all, except two players duking it out, trading punches and playing the best they can!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Lol, when I watch a match (like table tennis) or a game (like basketball), my mind is shut off. I just want to see good interesting rally. I really do not care much about tactics.

When I play a match, yes, I am constantly thinking about testing out the opponent's forehand, backhand and the middle with various serves. And trying to vary my return so my opponent does not always third-ball attack me.

I am very impressed by people analyzing these matches because top players don't really have a lot of weaknesses.

For example in the Hayata vs Sun Yingsha match, I just see a lot of amazing shots! I don't really see any tactics at all, except two players duking it out, trading punches and playing the best they can!
Some former CNT players comments on tactics are pretty good. Of course if you do not understand chinese, it is going to be tough. Watch a couple of matches and you will understand the tactics that players use. Like LJK, usually he will play more slow spinny games at the end. And pinch Hugo on his forehand short and then play to his wide backhand...