60 y.o. Ni Xialian won SF/F WTT Feeder Havirov 2023

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Maybe the ITTF should let players have two rackets or more, like in badminton. Players will have a spare racket to deal with pimples or OX, or change their strategy for the next game. The dynamic of the sport will be very fascinating, IMHO.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Maybe the ITTF should let players have two rackets or more, like in badminton. Players will have a spare racket to deal with pimples or OX, or change their strategy for the next game. The dynamic of the sport will be very fascinating, IMHO.
Very interesting idea...I like it.

Reactions: turbozed and Kopp
This user has no status.
It is clear it was the pips that hindered the player who plays with normal backside rubber a lot here.
These pips are a disgrace for table tennis and should be a separate competition.
Matches like this one clearly prove this fact.
The fact that more and more pips rubbers are being considered illegal to play with in ITTF competition proves this problem.

Ask most pro and amateur players what they think about pip players and it will become very clear these pips are ridiculing our sport.
Could you be able to explain to somebody why a 60 year old could win a pro tournament in any other serious sport?

Reactions: Metaxa and Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
It is clear it was the pips that hindered the player who plays with normal backside rubber a lot here.
These pips are a disgrace for table tennis and should be a separate competition.
The fact that more and more pips rubbers are being considered illegal to play with in ITTF competition proves this problem.

Ask most pro and amateur players what they think about pip players and it will become very clear these pips are ridiculing our sport.
Could you be able to explain to somebody why a 60 year old could win a pro tournament in any other serious sport?

What's the problem with pips? I started playing TT when both sides could have the same color and perfectly hidden serves were perfectly legal. As long as the returned balls are predictable one can come up with good tactics against pips and win matches. No, it's not easy to play against but it is a very good training in reading spin, focusing on the opponent and one own's strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I have no problems with people playing with pips. I mean Joo Sae-hyuk was such an exciting player to watch. I actually hate that ITTF are banning some of the pimple rubbers.

When the blade has two colors to distinguish which side is which, to me, that is fair game. I use inverted on both sides. If I know the red side is inverted and black is long pips, and I still lose, that is my problem. I think it adds excitement to the game and when I play pips players, I have to think harder.

Let us use basketball as an example, if people are good, they can just jack up three pointers. They don't need to drive to the basketball and dunk. People literally are jacking up more and more three pointers each season. Is that bad for the game? Steph Curry is quick but nobody will mistaken Steph Curry with Vince Carter, Michael Jordan, or Giannis Antetokounmpo. Variation makes a sport exciting.

In tennis, many amateur players win many matches doing drop shots and move you all over the court while they are sipping beer. Should drop shots be banned in tennis?

Xi wins this event but let us be honest, she is not coming to win the World Championship. A tennis pro who uses drop shots and varying strategies without a hard punch or good serve will not win Wimbledon either. Hasn't there been a lot of talks about how boring men's game in tennis has become? Serve, and ace. Serve and a high return, put it away. Done. 40-0. Next game, change of serve.

variation is actually good for a sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I do think this is only possible due to her special style and equipment (if she was a two winged away from the table looper kreanga style it probably wouldn't work at her age) but then again thousands of people do play pips and never get better than like 1400 or so. It doesn't make a bad player play good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

It's funny you say this because there is a prominent member of this community that firmly believes that current pips are not quite disruptive enough (though he's been oddly absent after this big result).

60 year old women beating 20 year old pro players in their athletic primes is nice and all.

But let's shoot for the moon and introduce technology so disruptive that 60 year olds have a shot at being the WTTC champion!

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
It's funny you say this because there is a prominent member of this community that firmly believes that current pips are not quite disruptive enough (though he's been oddly absent after this big result).

60 year old women beating 20 year old pro players in their athletic primes is nice and all.

But let's shoot for the moon and introduce technology so disruptive that 60 year olds have a shot at being the WTTC champion!

One normal rubber on one side for serves and on the other side an ultra sticky rubber? Just catch the serve or serve return, move to the opponents side and wait some minutes for the ball to drop ;)