a journey of tensor and hurricane

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Often people tell about how great hurricane 3 is, but after using it for 2 years i find myself going back to a tensor rubber.

The confidence of hurricane is truly great, but what do you miss?
I switched from using Hurricane 3 neo to Rhyzen 50 pro to really find out.

Mostly tabletennis on higher amateur level is winning by making less mistakes on your own strokes.
I find a medium hard tensor way more reliable then Hurricane 3 neo.
Of course the tack/grip is higher on Hurricane and that gives you confidence. But i find myself never relaxed with it. Always tried to loop better and harder, when a tensor rubber is easier to use.

The ease of use makes everything feel natural and safe. I don't have to find specific angles or speed in wrist to win the point with spin. You can really go for it.

I don't feel like this is a hot take, even tho there are many H3 users in TTD community. Many just get better results with non tacky rubbers.

What do you guys think about this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I used tenergy for almost two years and i just made the switch to hurricane neo 3 on my forehand. so far i'm loving this transition. I love the feeling of "gripping & ripping" slingshot effect that the chinese rubber has. easier to block too but you still have to be active and with a purpose to block effectively.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I think you are both right and wrong.
For me the tensors are a "finished product", you buy it and you play it as it is.
Sticky chinese rubbers are "raw" when we buy them and we boost them to suit our playing style or until we like "the feel".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Often people tell about how great hurricane 3 is, but after using it for 2 years i find myself going back to a tensor rubber.

Mostly tabletennis on higher amateur level is winning by making less mistakes on your own strokes.
Of course the tack/grip is higher on Hurricane and that gives you confidence. But i find myself never relaxed with it. Always tried to loop better and harder, when a tensor rubber is easier to use.

The ease of use makes everything feel natural and safe. I don't have to find specific angles or speed in wrist to win the point with spin. You can really go for it.

I don't feel like this is a hot take, even tho there are many H3 users in TTD community. Many just get better results with non tacky rubbers.

In contrast, I find tacky rubbers easier to use for amateurs.

For amateur you can land the ball easily with tacky rubbers. If you brush thin you still land it. If you do a power loop, you still land it. It gives you so many variations.

It’s much harder for tensor because it is designed to land the ball long.

Reactions: ttarc and lodro
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
-- A bad workman can't find a good tool.

This proverb means that a person who always performs his work unprofessionally will usually lay the blame on anything except himself. He will blame the quality of his equipments, or other external factors, rather than take the responsibility for his own failure.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
-- A bad workman can't find a good tool.

This proverb means that a person who always performs his work unprofessionally will usually lay the blame on anything except himself. He will blame the quality of his equipments, or other external factors, rather than take the responsibility for his own failure.
On the flip side, there is another proverb that says "if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life thinking its stupid (or has no skills)"

I think the middle ground is where it actually falls. Equipment can make a difference, but using ma long's set up won't magically turn you into ma long. You have to work at your craft, but undoubtedly, there are tools that will work better for you than other tools.

cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Why not try a hybrid like Tihbar K2?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
On the flip side, there is another proverb that says "if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life thinking its stupid (or has no skills)"

I think the middle ground is where it actually falls. Equipment can make a difference, but using ma long's set up won't magically turn you into ma long. You have to work at your craft, but undoubtedly, there are tools that will work better for you than other tools.

cheers.
first time I see igor type so much and your reply has just silence him again
haha

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
H3 is driving a manual sports car. Everything DIY, you get the max fun if you can drift.

Dignics and modern hybrids is like modern automatic with pedal shifters, sports mode etc. You just focus on enjoying the driving and leave the rest of the work to the machine.

Tenergy and older tensor is like standard auto. Good for everyday driving ( general club players and up to high level local league players / provincial ). You just want an easy to use equipment at the word GO!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think it just depends. I have been using hurricane for a few years now. A couple month ago, I set up a blade with black Tenergy 05 2.1mm on the forehand side. After two practice session, I just ripped the rubber off and it is without a blade currently.

If you move from hurricane back to tensor, then great! Tensor probably works for you.

For me, I have used tensor here and there but hurricane gives me 3-4 points per match on serve. I just cannot do that with say MX-S or Rakza 7 soft. No matter how hard I use my wrist or engage the sponge, the serve is just not as spin as I would have if I had used Hurricane.

Also, Hurricane is tacky and is spin sensitive. So when you return serve you have to read the spin very well. However, Tenergy and ESN rubbers are bouncy so if you are not careful in returning serve, you can easily push or block the ball out. So in the serve return category, hurricane and tensor are about equal in my book.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I think it just depends. I have been using hurricane for a few years now. A couple month ago, I set up a blade with black Tenergy 05 2.1mm on the forehand side. After two practice session, I just ripped the rubber off and it is without a blade currently.

If you move from hurricane back to tensor, then great! Tensor probably works for you.

For me, I have used tensor here and there but hurricane gives me 3-4 points per match on serve. I just cannot do that with say MX-S or Rakza 7 soft. No matter how hard I use my wrist or engage the sponge, the serve is just not as spin as I would have if I had used Hurricane.

Also, Hurricane is tacky and is spin sensitive. So when you return serve you have to read the spin very well. However, Tenergy and ESN rubbers are bouncy so if you are not careful in returning serve, you can easily push or block the ball out. So in the serve return category, hurricane and tensor are about equal in my book.
My service game has definitely improved with the hurricane. I’m hardly using my backhand serve any more since the pendulum and tomohawk have become thst much more effective. It’s also a lot easier for me to return short with both the hurricane and dignics 09c….

Reactions: JJ Ng and lodro
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
it depends on how you want to win points. I've tried both types of rubbers and decided to stick to Chinese even though I love the feeling of power shooting my opponents with tensors

With Chinese rubbers I win more points with serves, short push, spinny shots. As I get older, I tend to play tricky shots near table more often so Chinese rubbers give me a boost in that area.

says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
ive switched from tensor to chinese back to tensor and then back to chinese multiple times now

i have to say that i like using both tensor and chinese, FH or BH doesnt matter

the only reason i go chinese right now is bc i am a penny pincher, tensors r expensive for what they are

i can produce my own power so i am not far worse using chinese rubber

Reactions: JJ Ng and TT Lover
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
ive switched from tensor to chinese back to tensor and then back to chinese multiple times now

i have to say that i like using both tensor and chinese, FH or BH doesnt matter

the only reason i go chinese right now is bc i am a penny pincher, tensors r expensive for what they are

i can produce my own power so i am not far worse using chinese rubber

Any Chinese rubber play like tensor rubber 45 degrees of sponge hardness in your experience ?

Thank you sir.

Best regards,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I am on the same boat as the OP. For the last 3 years I have been playing exclusively with H3(Prov BS/OS, Nat BS) and yes my service and push were a tad more dangerous, but up to certain level of opponents. When I play better players it doesn't really matter. What matter is my ability to finish the point with ease. Smash and drive are way faster and consistent with euro/jap and when off time I still have a chance to put the ball on the table with some pace and spin. Most important for me is that now my shoulder is not screaming painfully on every third shot or so......so I may continue practicing with H3 but when playing competition I am taking out my Dignics or similar.
Last but not least, some 20 years ago when I turned 40 I had vigour, strength and the ball had spin. Now most of it is gone and it's much too late to change completely my style

Reactions: Topspinslinger
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe try a hybrid? i think tackier rubber on the forehand is good:
- easier to make spin so get more safety since you get mor arc
- more spin in serves
- a little slower so easier to return serves and better at third ball attack

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
IMHO, it really depends what the player demands from the equipment.
Some have mentioned that they use tensor so that they can get easy access to power and speed to finish the point. So if find yourself struggling/hesitating to hit with 70-100% power during match conditions, a little help from tensor will be good
Some have mentioned they use Chinese rubbers for the tack and control. If you are comfortable with rallies or controlling the tempo with spin and placement, tacky rubbers will be good but you have to understand that to finish a point, you have to be committed with your stroke.

Play more with your mates and do discussions about your playstyle and game play and decide if you want a rubber to make up for your weakness or boost your strengths