A top player's income ?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Hey guys let's give up on sun yang mun yang discussion . really here is not a swimming site or the thread's name is not sun yang . every one has got unnecessary info about him .who is he we should talk about in this thread . its enough to know that zjk has made it to the top 10 list and ma long didn't unfortunately .

Yes you're right, at least one top tt player made it to the wealth list and ZJK is the only one listed twice on the top ten wealth list these years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
TT heading "top" in China is normal
TT benefits in China has always been really high for many generations now.
And if you are in the CTTA structure, you are sorted for life.

It just just silly to take what a swimmer gets or what basketball players get and assuming that is what TT gets and vice versa.
Each players value is determined by what the sponsor is willing to pay.
I recall Lebron James turning down an offer by Adidas and a year later Nike paid few times more than Adidas.
Now does that mean your American Footballer, or soccer or baseballer will earn the same as Lebron James based on Rain's illogical theory. Or Nike should of paid 1 to 1, as that is how the world should be in Rain's eye.

But anyways, in China, TT has value (numbers) in the public space, hence it is worthwhile to use TT players for advertisement

Outside the top 5 countries in the world, does your country use TT players as marketing images?

Chiang for example is now widely used in Taiwan recently, due to the Ai-Chiang, but not due to his player skills. A good looking and tall (model like look) does help him, but he was close to invisible before the wedding news broke out)
CCY is hardly marketed, CCA is even rarer
Girls side, I think number 2 is not even marketed....
I have to admin, Ai's PR team is really good.

How well is Dima advertise in Germany?
Wong in Hong Kong?
Feng in Singapore?
Han in Germany?

Outside the top 5 ranked countries:
Gauzy in France?
Freitas in Portugal?
Fergerl in Austria?
Karlsson in Sweden?
Calderano in Brazil?
Shibaev in Russia?
Aruna in Nigeria?
Groth in Denmark?
Drinkhall in England?

Okay, thats top 50 mens, of which all of them are professional athletes and will need to rely on Table Tennis as a source of income. It can be salary, competition bonus or using his table tennis image to make an income (sponsorship/endorsements)

Now if TT have ZERO Value in the country, then it will be difficult to make solid income. As we all know, only the hand full of few can get decent amount from a base salary.
What I listed about is is only like 15 countries, what about the other 15 countries in the world that can get players into the top 100.

TT salary at your 2nd tier (top 50-100) is already close to a joke as a professional athlete.
Who would want to sponsor a TT player? what ROI does it bring to such company?
Many countries are relying on Government, sport developing funds, Lottery and such.
But we know for sport to succeed, we need private companies involvement, but why should they be involved? is there ROI?

These are all solid questions to ask oneself, should you be the Agent for such player.
Fans only demand, agents will make it happen.

Sometimes as a coach, I want to guide the player to play forever and to have the Olympic dream. But on the other side, the same player would need to feed himself and have a family, house, car one day.

In Taiwan, all the top juniors coming out are from really income solid families. In a way we can say, the parents fortune (not super wealthy, but enough) to last the kid (tt player) a life time.
The others which less financial background. After a certain age, they would need to start earning money through coaching or career change.
And I am talking about juniors who had featured in the top 10 or top 20s in the world in they respective age categories - not your average joe and not just from Taiwan.

I am talking alot about Taiwan is because I spent a good 3 weeks with TPE management, sponsors, players, parents and coaches in Feb. And I have another 2 weeks with them in June.
I'm trying to learn what some countries did successfully and trying to mimic the pros somewhere else.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Another comparison I did before was, comparing your sporting codes to TT.
Where a player can take part in clubs/leagues/tournaments and make a good base salary and/or tournament bonus.
Due to my post above, I suggest we leave out sponsorship income potential and just look at playing income

Football/soccer, you can be in 2nd divisions in so many countries and earn more in base salary in the super league
Rugby, your average player can play in Japan's league or French league and earn more than top players in super league
Cricket - same
Baseball - same
Basketball - same

I'm not too familiar with other sports. but my theory is simple
TT has competition for parents/kids

A kid can grow up and be 1 in 10000 to earn an income in football that could be better than 1 in 10 in table tennis (this is really just a ball park figure but hope you get my comparison)

Last edited:
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Another comparison I did before was, comparing your sporting codes to TT.
Where a player can take part in clubs/leagues/tournaments and make a good base salary and/or tournament bonus.
Due to my post above, I suggest we leave out sponsorship income potential and just look at playing income

Football/soccer, you can be in 2nd divisions in so many countries and earn more in base salary in the super league
Rugby, your average player can play in Japan's league or French league and earn more than top players in super league
Cricket - same
Baseball - same
Basketball - same

I'm not too familiar with other sports. but my theory is simple
TT has competition for parents/kids

A kid can grow up and be 1 in 10000 to earn an income in football that could be better than 1 in 10 in table tennis (this is really just a ball park figure but hope you get my comparison)

Agreed. I dont know about other countries/leagues, but here in the UK, you dont have to be exceptionally good to play in the Championship division (not premier league) and earn 10 -15k sterling a week.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2013-01/07/content_27601603_3.htm

http://www.miaopai.com/show/AzPFRVym6c-ZUguiQNXaBozymtYzMAUn.htm

http://www.weibo.com/u/6156499535?refer_flag=1008085010_&is_hot=1

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http://www.sohu.com/a/142795033_114941

salary_list_2016.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
And overall it is great for the sport that a TT sportsman can bring in big money comparable to other top athlete's in the world. I never quite understood why tennis brings in more money than TT and it is heartening to see TT guys are getting traction in the sponsorship world.

Perhaps tennis has a well-established system with sponsorships for match rewards?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Perhaps tennis has a well-established system with sponsorships for match rewards?

there is 2 kinds of income here:

tennis: salary for the player, tournament bonus.
we all know some tournaments, just by showing up, the player can walk away with more money than winning an ITTF world tour.

sponsorship/endorsement:
This is a set income from a company who will pay the player in returns for xyz.
This was the main thing I mentioned above.
If that sport is nothing in your country, that means the "champion player" of that nothing sport is also nothing, hence valueless hence no roi for company, hence no money for the player

If you are a national champion of TT in your country, does that mean companies will come and ask you to be they brand ambassador?

I don't agree with drunix claiming tt guys are getting traction in the sponsoring world.
take out the main asian countries, how much else is there in the world?