Advice on badminton shoes (for table tennis use)

says Aging is a killer
Gliding is really bad in sports that are not about specially gliding like ice skating.
How can you position your body if your feet glide in an angle or you don't desire? You can't even begin to move in any direction since you're just sliding.

Zwill, I think that you are mixing up gliding and sliding. Gliding is when the player is moving so smoothly across the floor that it appears that he is just floating, that is, gliding. Sliding is is like a car drifting around a corner, that is, the tyres (shoes) are always planted to the road.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Hey Zwill! Thanks for your input on the difference between gliding and sliding. When it comes to finding the right shoes for your sport, it can definitely make a big difference in your performance. Have you checked out sportsuncle.com for some great options? They have a wide range of shoes for various sports, including cricket shoes that might interest you https://www.sportsuncle.com/cricket-shoes. Happy playing!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I just bought these badminton shoes, do you think they will be good for table tennis?
1000007497.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I used Asics Gel Rocket for years. But then I got a later model that fit a bit bigger than the previous. My feet were moving too much inside them and it wrecked my feet. I couldn't even play a match without having to sit down. Even after switching shoes, the pain went on for months.

I switched to Yonex Eclipsion for a year. They were stable, but with a small uncomfortable toe box. My feet healed after wearing them for about 6 months.

Now I use 65Z2, which is a much better fit. The extra room for the big toe is important. I have also recently ditched my Asics running / walking shoes and adopted Altra Torin and Provision shoes.

You are only as powerful and quick as the weakest link in the chain. Using shoes that allow my feet to function properly was an important step to improving my overall athletic ability.

says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Its difficult to identify the brand/model of the ones you bought. I use a badminton shoe (Victor A922) since more than a year and I'm happy with stability and grip. I'm not sensitive to weight and so the extra 50-80g per shoe, do not really matter to me. I had several specific table tennis shoes from various brands (Mizuno, LiNing, XIOM et al), but I don't find them any better suited. So take whatever gives you the best feel and grip and don't worry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Recently I bought a Kawasaki A3305 to use in gyms where there is basically PVC floor right on top of concrete. So to have more sponge in the midsole than in a table tennis shoe.

This Kawasaki to me is basically a Yonex Aerus Z clone, and I don't mean that it looks the same but function wise it's a clone. Very light shoe under 200g and I have to say it has some nice features. One is the great grip, the carbon plate which I don't think is much use in table tennis but who knows. The rubber band for the tongue so it doesn't slide away, the kind of ridged insole that makes my socks not slide at all.

For about a third the cost of a Yonex it's great.
IMG20240506203205.jpgIMG20240506203213.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240506203210.jpg
    IMG20240506203210.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Its difficult to identify the brand/model of the ones you bought. I use a badminton shoe (Victor A922) since more than a year and I'm happy with stability and grip. I'm not sensitive to weight and so the extra 50-80g per shoe, do not really matter to me. I had several specific table tennis shoes from various brands (Mizuno, LiNing, XIOM et al), but I don't find them any better suited. So take whatever gives you the best feel and grip and don't worry.
It is the mizuno wave claw 3 badminton shoe

Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
It is the mizuno wave claw 3 badminton shoe
Looks like the wave claw is with 300g not too heavy for a badminton shoe, but around 75g heavier than the TT specific Mizuno Wave Drive 9.

Again, for my personal preference, the weigth has never been a factor. For me stability and grip are more important and here the badminton shoes are way better. In TT shoes I never get this tight feeling and start having movement within the shoe.

So I think you should be fine with your choice.