Anders Lind discussing illegal serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
From my experience at the low level most people get offended when you call them out on serves. I once asked a woman to toss the ball (with a please) because she didn't toss at all and she told me I could have asked nicer. People like that go down as disrespectful in my memory. Old players have to be worst here. Every single one responds by saying they have been playing for x amount of years and no one has ever complained.
I’d say something like “you’re fortunate enough to witness this complaint you old hag”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Yes! Finally someone that speaks out. I've noticed the same thing too and it's getting worse. People are always trying to push the boundaries until they are told not to. It's just like little kids. They test the boundaries of how far they can push the parents until they're told not to.

It's up to the umpires and ITTF to tell them and enforce the rules. Until that happens it will get worse.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
It is NO problem for umpire to deal with those "bad" services. Umpire must have guts foremost. A lot of guts.

IMG-20231112-191744-329.jpg

IMG_20240522_174002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Metaxa
Much of this can be resolved with more well placed cameras and some AI to adjust for receiver's point of view. Now with fewer tables being used at WTT events I think this is feasible.
What about on amateur's level, You cant have cameras in all training halls ...
No, It have to enforceable WITHOUT a lot of technology.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Much of this can be resolved with more well placed cameras and some AI to adjust for receiver's point of view. Now with fewer tables being used at WTT events I think this is feasible.
I would just prefer that the rules be simplified to include the changes that Larry Hodges has continually spoken about (and which are implied in Anders Lind's discussion of the issues) and enforced. I don't think a serve should be dependent of the receiver's point of view, it should be exposed to both net posts and that infinite line that continues from there. The problem is that some people think that the offense of the banana flick is too strong but to me the obvious solution to that is to raise the net height even if slightly.

Truls largely does the kinds of serves that would be in vogue if the rules were enforced.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
It's not a matter of cameras, VAR system or simplification of service rules. Ultimately it will be up to the umpires to call an illegal serve. Most umpires ARE and WILL BE hesitant to call on illegal serves (especially on superstar players), in order not to disrupt the flow of the games.
Only if ITFF and WTT addresses the issue by giving specific instructions to the umpires, to strictly enforce the rules with no exceptions, while backing up umpires' decisions, the problem will be solved. Otherwise, we'll just be discussing it and discussing it endlessly...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I would just prefer that the rules be simplified to include the changes that Larry Hodges has continually spoken about (and which are implied in Anders Lind's discussion of the issues) and enforced. I don't think a serve should be dependent of the receiver's point of view, it should be exposed to both net posts and that infinite line that continues from there.

Yes, absolutely! That and the enforcing...

That older people are against, due to the momentum, is OK. It would be surprising if they didn't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
What about on amateur's level, You cant have cameras in all training halls ...
No, It have to enforceable WITHOUT a lot of technology.

Cheers
L-zr
Unfortunately, there's not much can be done at the amateur level. The will to enforce rules at the amateur level is near non-existent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Unfortunately, there's not much can be done at the amateur level. The will to enforce rules at the amateur level is near non-existent.
Most amateurs can't change to legal serves sometimes due to the loss coming after the change. But it can really stressful to play again these people. I think it is an individual thing. When I try a new serve, my first concern is always whether it is legal, but some people do not think so. Sometimes, if the illegal serves get to your nerve, just stop playing with these people. There are still many people serving legally.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Most amateurs can't change to legal serves sometimes due to the loss coming after the change. But it can really stressful to play again these people. I think it is an individual thing. When I try a new serve, my first concern is always whether it is legal, but some people do not think so. Sometimes, if the illegal serves get to your nerve, just stop playing with these people. There are still many people serving legally.
But what about amateur tournaments? You can't just choose not to play. I've actually thrown a game against a guy who didn't serve correctly. But it just hurts yourself because nobody cares at the amateur level.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
But what about amateur tournaments? You can't just choose not to play. I've actually thrown a game against a guy who didn't serve correctly. But it just hurts yourself because nobody cares at the amateur level.

How people played before this new rules? What you was doing? Pretend there is still old rules and any serves allowed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't find this to be undeniably true, especially when there is a certified umpire around. Many amateurs can and will adjust in the face of criticism and feedback, even to the detriment of their game, if there is a 3rd party to call the serves or if their violation is obvious to everyone watching and it is brought to their attention. Of course, some don't but that is true for anything.

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I don't think that they can't make legal serves, it's that they don't want to.
Especially older players, rely on illegal serves to score easy point and know that most opponents out of respect of their age or in order to avoid being "hostile", will just not complain.

Take for example this guy with the red shirt who makes illegal shovel serve. It's obvious that he's hiding the contact point on purpose. In fact I've seen him practicing it and trying to turn his body as much as he can to make it less visible to the opponent...

But then you will have the problem of moving from amateur to pro with illegal served. It is much much better to simplify the rules so that no technology is necessary.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I don't agree with Anders demonstration of what he says is incredibly illegal due to verticality. It has to be within 30 degrees of vertical. In his demo he says it's probably like 60 degrees which it does not look like to me. Here's his video at the timestamp where he demos an "illegal" serve:

Reactions: Loop Lob Smash