Backhand rubbers? Is d09c too much for a beginner-intermediate player?

This user has no status.
I'm currently using Fastarc S-1 as my BH rubber on a FZD ALC. I'm doing ok with it, but I dislike the feel soft rubbers on backhand.
I've seen D09C being widely used as a BH rubber and I know it offers a lot of spin potential. While looking at the butterfly chart, it is rated below T05FX in terms of speed and my Fastarc S-1 is supposedly close to T05 FX in that regard.
I've not had the occasion to try D09C before, but I fancy the idea of a harder, spinnier rubber for my BH. I'm just worried that the sponge may be a bit too hard to engage at my level. What is your opinion on that?

Are there any other really spinny aprox medium hardness rubbers worth considering?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I thought S1 was kind of a dud. I think C1 is much better than S1 and might be more in line with what you're looking for, it is much grippier and feels harder and crisper. Its still on the softer side but it's not mushy soft IMO

This user has no status.
I use C-1 on FH and while I do think it's a good rubber, I think the spin potential is a bit lacking.
S-1 is nice, but the softneess makes it a bit harder to control when hitting hard into the sponge, atleast to me it feels that way, hence why I was looking at d09c ( potentially G09C, although that's a month away from release.. )

This user has no status.
Dignics 09c is fine for the backhand. Your blade is probably a little fast for you, so combined with softer esn rubbers you will struggle to control and receive is my estimate. The dignics could help in that case
Actually, the blade has proved a lot easier to control to me than my old Nittaku Acoustic. I do not know why, but the feeling the blade offers helped me control the ball a lot easier. My coach noticed that too the first time I've used it.
Although, when upgrading the blade, I went from Fastarc G-1 to C-1, not sure how much of a difference in control that would make since G-1 is not hard to control.

I appreciate the concern though :). Going back to my Acoustic with G-1 FH and R7 BH, I don't find it easier to use.

I've had one of the coaches at the club recommend me Acuda S2 for BH, because that's all he's been using for a decade. I believe that is a good rubber too, but I've been left wondering if there are better, more modern alternatives out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I'm currently using Fastarc S-1 as my BH rubber on a FZD ALC. I'm doing ok with it, but I dislike the feel soft rubbers on backhand.
I've seen D09C being widely used as a BH rubber and I know it offers a lot of spin potential. While looking at the butterfly chart, it is rated below T05FX in terms of speed and my Fastarc S-1 is supposedly close to T05 FX in that regard.
I've not had the occasion to try D09C before, but I fancy the idea of a harder, spinnier rubber for my BH. I'm just worried that the sponge may be a bit too hard to engage at my level. What is your opinion on that?

Are there any other really spinny aprox medium hardness rubbers worth considering?
It is not a easy rubber to use on backhand. You need a very advanced backhand technique to use this. It is quite unforgiving and stiff.

Esn 47 and below is much more versatile and accessible for backhand.

Reactions: Kolev
Jul 2014
I personally found G1 much easier to control than C1, the softer sponge on C1 made it a bit more unpredictable for me. Have you tried the G1 on your backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Actually, the blade has proved a lot easier to control to me than my old Nittaku Acoustic. I do not know why, but the feeling the blade offers helped me control the ball a lot easier. My coach noticed that too the first time I've used it.
Although, when upgrading the blade, I went from Fastarc G-1 to C-1, not sure how much of a difference in control that would make since G-1 is not hard to control.

I appreciate the concern though :). Going back to my Acoustic with G-1 FH and R7 BH, I don't find it easier to use.

I've had one of the coaches at the club recommend me Acuda S2 for BH, because that's all he's been using for a decade. I believe that is a good rubber too, but I've been left wondering if there are better, more modern alternatives out there.
A lot of the time beginners feel carbon blades are easier to control because of two things. One is the bigger sweet spot. When you can't consistently engage the sweet spot the shots of a wood blade can feel very different depending on where on the blade you contact the ball. The other is that many beginners' strokes are more direct and there's less hit-then-brush mechanic going on. When doing a proper drive, there's a lot of hit then brush to get the maximum speed and spin, and with a stiffer blade the timing needs to be more precise. With a more hitting stroke the directness of a stiff blade gives a more linear ball that requires less experience to interpolate where the ball will land.

This user has no status.
A lot of the time beginners feel carbon blades are easier to control because of two things. One is the bigger sweet spot. When you can't consistently engage the sweet spot the shots of a wood blade can feel very different depending on where on the blade you contact the ball. The other is that many beginners' strokes are more direct and there's less hit-then-brush mechanic going on. When doing a proper drive, there's a lot of hit then brush to get the maximum speed and spin, and with a stiffer blade the timing needs to be more precise. With a more hitting stroke the directness of a stiff blade gives a more linear ball that requires less experience to interpolate where the ball will land.
All in all, it's easier to drive and loop with the fzd alc. I didn't think much why that could be.

This user has no status.
I personally found G1 much easier to control than C1, the softer sponge on C1 made it a bit more unpredictable for me. Have you tried the G1 on your backhand?
The g1 is not too forgiving on backhand. Requires rather good technique, because of the hard sponge. That was my worry with d09c as well.

On FH I have no issues with it (g1).

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
It is not a easy rubber to use on backhand. You need a very advanced backhand technique to use this. It is quite unforgiving and stiff.

Esn 47 and below is much more versatile and accessible for backhand.
I see. I will wait and see where g09c will land, maybe see if I can find a acuda s2 or something similar as well to try out.

Jul 2014
The g1 is not too forgiving on backhand. Requires rather good technique, because of the hard sponge. That was my worry with d09c as well.

On FH I have no issues with it (g1).
G1 has a slightly stiffer topsheet, rubbers like Hype KR and Vega X which are rated at the same sponge hardness but have softer feeling topsheets play more forgiving in this aspect so you might like those- they just didn't last terribly long for me, I noticed that the grip and arc became more inconsistent for me within 2-3 months. I've been getting along pretty well with Baracuda on my backhand and it's proving to be more durable than the previous two rubbers I mentioned, its a little bit softer than G1 and the like but it maintains a solid and supportive feeling even when hitting hard- none of the collapsing feeling that C1 can get when you compress the sponge past a certain point, and it has excellent grip to boot.

Reactions: folie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
1. D09C will be better for serving and short game than these bouncy ESN rubbers but
2. D09C might be rated slower than T05FX by Butterfly but has a much higher ceiling
3. can you engage the hard sponge (D09C = roughly 54° ESN) of the D09C enough to use its potential?
There is a reason Ma Long or for example Cho Seungmin use a much softer 37° (47° ESN) rubber on backhand or why Kalinikos Kreanga uses an even softer Tenergy 05FX (42°/43° ESN) on his backhand.

Reactions: folie and latej
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I think 09c is good for backhand, for types of shots like: shirt game, serve, openup loop, counterloop; even it’s little bit on a harder side, it’s doesn’t feel too much hard, and since the grip of it is one of the best on the market, it’s easy to lift underspin besides of a hardness. But anyway if you more into very fast, soft rubbers for backhand it would be not your cup of tea for the first time, that’s for sure. But when you used to it, it should be very spiny, controlled rubber. But you should go thru all the balls with it, you need working on to bring the quality

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I'm currently using Big Dipper on backhand. In many ways it is very similar to D09c. At first I found it very unforgiving and difficult to use. For example, a lot of my BH loops didn't cross the net. Sometimes they would even hit my side of the table. It requires more acceleration and technique to loop with backhand.

Also D09c and BD both are less bouncy than typical tensor rubbers. So I found that BD plays better on BH with some booster. D09c would be more playable on BH with booster as well.

After 4 weeks of playing boosted BD on BH, I actually quite enjoy it. It's very powerful for drives and loops and its fun to hit. I don't notice the unforgiveness as much as before because I'm used to it.

Reactions: jammmail and folie