Best rubbers under $10??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi,

Just wondering what rubbers I should go with for a penhold combo. Currently looking at either the 729 Super FX gold seal, KTL GREEN DRAGON PRO XT, or the 729-2 HRS NEXT GENERATION. I' also going with a 729 6030 penhold blade just fyi. Sort of beginner, learning RBP and using FH but I need a bit more control, but nothing too too slow.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
List of not too slow U-USD10 rubbers,

Blocker Driver Cornilleau Target Sound 37.5
Blocker Looper Friendship/729 FX Lightening (Lightning)
Blocker Looper Friendship/729 SST Cross
Looper Galaxy 9000 3 Star
Non Blocker Friendship/729 729 OEM
Non Blocker Kokutaku 868

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I've used classic Friendship 729 with great pleasure a few decades ago, and again when resuming play after my 25+-year hiatus. The current Friendship Super FX is nowhere nearly as tacky, and I found the red (with orange sponge) and black (with blue sponge) very different beasts. The red felt like hard plastic, somewhat grippy but zilch dwell time. The black felt somewhat bouncier, gave me a better feel, though that too is a very hard-sponged specimen.

It's nowhere near the ancient (eggplant-coloured) stuff, but still I liked the black, blue-sponged 729. It nudges a bit toward direct play, and is excellent for blocks, counterplay, and opening/smashing underspin flatly and speedily.

says what [IMG]
I've only ever extensively used 729 Super FX, the modern version. So I don't have that much to base my views on.

I understand the old one is great stuff so maybe you'd want to find someone who has one of those laying around somewhere preserved, apparently they exist. ;)

However for the modern ones:

I can't go into specifics much due to my inexperience and playing level, but I will tell you that if the blue sponge was sold with a red sheet, I would buy spares for both sides. I like it a lot.

The rubbers are not exactly slow, so slow as to hinder basic play, but you will need to turn the body fully to get any power out of them. However you can swing as hard as however hard I can swing and still reliably get the ball on the table as long as you topspin. My impression is that I don't really like it for backhand but it's good for forehand. Could just be my lack of backhand technique.

Blocks are really great and I feel it kind of cheats for you with the tackiness. Whatever it is, the control is really great. You just need to move into the shot a bit: passive blocks just fly off the end.

I'm not good enough at serving and over the table play to tell you how it really is.

I gave my setup, an ALL+/OFF- blade and 729 FX Blue Sponge / Orange Sponge to a beginner of one month or so that I have trained and drilled with. He has very basic conventional technique. He said he likes my setup a lot, and blocks especially are easy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can recommend Yinhe Moon (a bit over of 10$). It's not the greatest rubber, but worth to try. Non tacky, sufficient speed and spin. I played with it several months and it's durability is sufficient also.

If you insist on below 10$, go with the general rubber of friendship, a tacky classical chinese rubber. I tried some of chinese rubber below 10$, so there are no big differences between them imo.