blade and head heavy

This user has no status.
Balance the blade on a ball of course. :)

If the ball position further to the handle side than blade midpoint, your blade is head light.

To control the weight balance further,

You can put something heavy, like lead ballast for golf, on the handle end, to shift the balance to head light. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Topspinner, you simply have to try a lot of stuff until you find for yourself what is good for you. If you have a blade you like and the rubbers make it a little head heavy, you could add cushioned grip tape to the handle to add 7-8 grams, this will make a HUGE difference and sometimes this is enough to balance it out to be acceptable.

The forum knows MY reputation in this matter... the world is not enough. I gotta take the sucka apart and add weight directly. You can do this safely if you are careful, but try out the grip tape idea first, it is less invasive.

says Aging is a killer
I like to try an allround blade that's a bit slower then the YE. I dont like it to be head heavy too much with med-heavy rubber like baracuda. How can I select a blade like that?

You have to experiment and see for yourself what sort of overall weight and balance that you like. Complete bats during 1970 - 1990 tended to be pretty light. I have a couple of old Stiga Alser plus MarkV bats that about 156g. Today's heavy rubbers causes bats to come in at about 185-195g on average.
I assume that the latest blades have compensated the balance to accommodate the heavier rubbers.
A slower blade than the YE is the Stiga Allround. It doesn't cost much.

This user has no status.
I'm not sure if I interpret you correctly, but is everyone here talking about head-heavy as something bad? When the Bluefires on my Stiga Rosewood V recently "died" I had to use my spare setup in a tournament, Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon with a pair of Tenergy 64. That blade feels really head heavy compared to my RW V and has a lot less feeling. But to my surprise my TT friends tells me I play a lot better with this blade. I brush the ball a lot more and does the correct movements (well, "more correct than before" would be more correct, I guess). It all becomes more self-guided. And yes, I won the tournament. Still don't like the feeling, so I'm considering trying my RW V with a couple of T64s next...

Head heavy isn't bad at all in fact, if you can handle it. Chinese players always go for hallowed handles and really head heavy setups (usually the standard size of their blade is even bigger than for us, resulting in an even more head heavy racket).

The more you train, the more you will get benefits from an head heavy setup. But if you dont train several times a week, head heavy racket will cause more troubles than benefits.

It is not a matter of liking it or not, everyone will prefer a balanced racket for comfort.....it is a matter of efficiency, despite prefering a balanced racket for confort, you might be more efficient with an head heavy racket and the more you train, the more you will be.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you want a really good Off- blade that is balanced well and has a solid handle (not hollowed out), get an OSP Virtuoso Off- and ask for the small head (157mm x 150mm which is really a normal sized head) and ask them to make the blade 85-86 grams. That blade will be as good as it gets for an Off- blade with good feeling and balance.

Because they make the blade after you order it, when you start playing with it, the blade takes about a week to break in and start playing really well. But after that, it plays AMAZING with so much control and ball feel. And the balance is perfect.

86 grams will feel really light since the handle is solid. But with that blade I feel like I can put the ball exactly where I want.

My Nexy Peter Pan feels pretty similar but there is more weight in the head.

The Virtuoso may be a similar speed as the Extra but unlike any of the blades from the large TT companies, Virtuoso has a solid handle and the balance is pretty even between the handle and the head once heavier rubbers like Tenergy are on it.

That includes blades like the Stiga Allround Evolution (hollow handle).

So for a slower Off- or All+ blade I would get a Virtuoso. By the way, I would say my Virtuoso is All+ or even All. It is slower than any of the Off- blades I have tried. But if you got one at 89-90 grams instead of 85-86 grams, then it would be on the high side of Off- and that would feel really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk