Cybershape Carbon & Head Heavy Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Hi there! Lately been going back and forth with my cybershape carbon and FZD alc (viscaria). I do like FZD alc's more balanced feel opposed to the head heaviness of the cybershape ( i have 2x 09c stuck on them, so you can imagine how head heavy the cybershape feels). Nextlevel probably knows what i mean haha. However.. don't particularly like the feel, but i think it suits my game a lot (offensive game with 3rd and 5th ball attacks and violent brushing). I feel my shots have more penetration with it than with fzd especially when a bit far away from the table.
Anyway.. can someone share pros and cons of head heavy setups? What technique is better suited for head heavy blades,etc? Would snappy BH be better with it.. better whip effect?

Also.. has anyone had both cybershape carbon and it's CWP version with the weights? I wonder if those 6 or 9 grams magnets could balance it a bit, but then it could become very heavy.. Both setups now are about 185grams btw. Couldn't find information on the difference for example with the 9 gram magnet against the normal cybershape carbon..

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi there! Lately been going back and forth with my cybershape carbon and FZD alc (viscaria). I do like FZD alc's more balanced feel opposed to the head heaviness of the cybershape ( i have 2x 09c stuck on them, so you can imagine how head heavy the cybershape feels). Nextlevel probably knows what i mean haha. However.. don't particularly like the feel, but i think it suits my game a lot (offensive game with 3rd and 5th ball attacks and violent brushing). I feel my shots have more penetration with it than with fzd especially when a bit far away from the table.
Anyway.. can someone share pros and cons of head heavy setups? What technique is better suited for head heavy blades,etc? Would snappy BH be better with it.. better whip effect?

Also.. has anyone had both cybershape carbon and it's CWP version with the weights? I wonder if those 6 or 9 grams magnets could balance it a bit, but then it could become very heavy.. Both setups now are about 185grams btw. Couldn't find information on the difference for example with the 9 gram magnet against the normal cybershape carbon..
Hi exotick, I understand what you mean, ultimately, in table tennis, we cannot avoid the fact that we are participating in athletic activity, and in any athletic activity, being stronger is a huge help, all other things being equal.

There is a guy (well a couple) I look at his game and wonder why he is a good table tennis player despite not being particularly athletic and I realize that just like me, it is because we are relatively strong and that makes our shots have more quality even when we don't seem to be doing a lot. So being stronger helps a lot. And being stronger in the small muscles (grip in the fingers, biceps, internal and external arm rotation etc.) helps. Many TT players should get a light weight of 2-5lbs and do their strokes slowly and quickly with it over time as a minimum. Doing this while working with a therapist would eliminate most/many of the complaints that people have about using blades of this or that weight or even tennis elbow.

I realized early in my use of the blade that the Cybershape is much faster than the reviews give it credit for, I got a Mizutani SZLC in a search for speed and couldn't quite tell what I was gaining vs the Cybershape.

So good luck with your search for technique, but ultimately, while in the short term, your touch and feel and ability to play will not be radically improved by strength, staying fit and healthy will build your body for the long term and doing drills that improve your strength in your arms over time will make table tennis healthier for you. You don't need hypertrophy in the arms per se since a lot of table tennis is tied to whipping the tendons, but strength is not only developed through hypertrophy. The bones and tendons play a role as well as stronger muscles and visibly larger muscles aren't everything for muscle density.

Long story short, the problem with using a heavier blade is ultimately a strength problem as well as an adaptation problem - as with all strength problems, you can either use something lighter or try to get stronger. Getting stronger takes time but regardless of the blade you use, it is worth it. The adaptation problem helps you get used to the blade, but if you don't solve the strength problem (or just use something lighter), you will be using something that will cause you pain.

For some people, the real issue is also balance (think about carrying a 10lb barbell with weight 5lbs on each end, vs carrying one with 10lbs on one end and nothing on the other). This is what head heaviness causes in some people and sometimes, putting more weight in the handle helps. But even in that case, strength improvement can help.

Just trying to expand how some see the problem.

This user has no status.
Head heavy setups, particularly the Cybershape works best for strong forehand oriented players. Because you have more weight in the hitting area of your bat, your swing at the ball will be harder. But you may get problems with using your full wrist on backhand strokes.

If you look at Truls with technique, his backhand doesnt use to mich wrist. Thats why it works so well for him.

If you were to give Fan Zhendong a Cybershape, he probably wont like it. Backhand flip oriented players (like FZD and ZJK) seem to prefer the Viscaria type of blade. The weight of that blade is more thowards the handle.

I experienced this as well and I went back to my old bat. Although the Cyberspace is great to hit forehands with, my backhand started to become awkward under pressure, making me lose lots of backhand exchange rallies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Head heavy setups, particularly the Cybershape works best for strong forehand oriented players. Because you have more weight in the hitting area of your bat, your swing at the ball will be harder. But you may get problems with using your full wrist on backhand strokes.

If you look at Truls with technique, his backhand doesnt use to mich wrist. Thats why it works so well for him.

If you were to give Fan Zhendong a Cybershape, he probably wont like it. Backhand flip oriented players (like FZD and ZJK) seem to prefer the Viscaria type of blade. The weight of that blade is more thowards the handle.

I experienced this as well and I went back to my old bat. Although the Cyberspace is great to hit forehands with, my backhand started to become awkward under pressure, making me lose lots of backhand exchange rallies.
I do agree that the head heaviness of the Cybershape makes it harder to play backhands if you are used to a certain balance, but it is not something you can't adjust for and a Cybershape isn't that much worse than a Dima blade or a Harimoto which both also have larger shaped heads. The main thing with the Cybershape is that the handle is also smaller, so the whole approach requires grip changes that not everyone will be comfortable making. But whether forehand or backhand, powerlooping is special because the balance takes the blade forward.

This user has no status.
Head heavy blades destroy my wrist and forearm lol, just because I do a lot of chiquita and aggressive spinny BHs.

Also I get a lot less spin from the cybershape than the viscaria because it's not so streamlined, I get less racket head acceleration and speed from the cybershape, with the same stroke.

Reactions: kindof99
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Head heavy blades destroy my wrist and forearm lol, just because I do a lot of chiquita and aggressive spinny BHs.

Also I get a lot less spin from the cybershape than the viscaria because it's not so streamlined, I get less racket head acceleration and speed from the cybershape, with the same stroke.
Hey you! Yes you the BH dominant guy! Go play with your Viscaria and other Innerforce variants. Leave us FH dominant in peace with our head-heavy lil'toys, where tutti-fruiti strokes are not required.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Yes i can see how the blade doesn't favour chiquita and flicks, but that's not a problem for me. It indeed has advantage on power loops be it fh or bh. Can't agree with Blahness saying "a lot less spin" with the cybershape lol. It's not that much different of a blade.. and also spin for most shots come from the rubber. Also less speed and acceleration ? Completely opposite for me on the training i did yesterday when i tried both. I think you didn't give it enough time and was quickly thrown of because of the head heaviness.
I wonder if CWT and 9 gram magnet does fix the balance a bit, will that remove the advantage on the power loops then? Or only head heaviness matters and not the balance? Truls mentioned he uses 3 grams which makes it SUPER head heavy as i just found a comment that normal cybershape carbon balance is between 6 and 9 grams (someone can confirm this?) .

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Hey you! Yes you the BH dominant guy! Go play with your Viscaria and other Innerforce variants. Leave us FH dominant in peace with our head-heavy lil'toys, where tutti-fruiti strokes are not required.
What other Innerforce variants do you mean? Harimoto ALC is also head heavy right? And for what kind of players do you think head heavy can be a good thing regarding physique, size, strenght of the player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
This question is in my mind; when one state head heavy blade, what does it do best?

A) Looping?
B) Smashing?
C) Driving?
D) All of the above?
E) Other than all of the above: what then?
It would do all of those best in some circumstances and some of those worse in other circumstances.

Head heavy means that it's more difficult to build and change the momentum of the blade. Think of a sledgehammer versus a stick. When you can use your body and have ample time to get power to your target it'll be a more powerful weapon. But it's a detriment when you have to be reactive to the ball and just trying to make contact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Head heavy is better for pretty much all forehand attacking shots. Handle heavy better for short game and backhand.

Reactions: kindof99
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Head heavy is better for pretty much all forehand attacking shots. Handle heavy better for short game and backhand.
I would imagine such a powerful blade don't even need modern tensor rubber. Ol'skool Euro rubber like Mark V should be fast enough with plenty of horsepower to spare.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
A crazy idea, a loco idea came into my mind:
  • Custom blade maker to make Cybershape head ( 8% larger head-size compared to regular oval shape head I was told ) to increase the hitting sweet-spot.
  • 10.9 mm super massive thick one ply hinoki using wood from choice wood taken from above 300 years old tree ( meaning super dense wood )
  • Head heavy? Oh yes please!
  • Spring sponge for that catapult feeling.

Gozo, don’t…
Get a nice slow blade in normal weight that forces you to hit harder and work on your strokes for some time. You will improve believe me. I fixed my FH this way, it took almost a year but now I am ready to speed it up. Be careful though it takes a lot of toll on the shoulder…

Cheers
L-zr