Blade for amateur/beginner switching from penhold to shakehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I'm a returning player considering myself to be near the beginner/amateur level having been coached in a club more than 6 years ago, who can do basic FH, BH rally practices and loops (but inconsistent) now.
I decided to make a switch from penhold to SH when I got back into the sport, considering how much more resources and equipment are available for SH players and a more consistent backhand. However, my current H301 is the penhold version, which I now use shakehand with. "Too fast" is how I'd sum up my current setup with the Hurricane 3 fh. Don't know if the handle also matters.
I'm fully aware of my subpar techniques and now practicing to improve them. Though I'm wondering if changing equipment could help, esp. for my penhold blade. I'm now looking at wood blades like Clipper Wood CR, Nittaku Acoustic, and some Butterfly blades like Lin Gaoyuan ALC and Viscaria. Also doubting if I should spend big on my first SH blade.
Still finding my playstyle. However I seem to enjoy flicking BH from close table having experimented and practiced with shakehand grip for now.
Could anyone comment on/suggest blades/rubbers suitable for my use case? Thanks in advance!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Based on what you have said:

Acoustic would be good.

Korbel or Tibhar Stratus Power Wood would also be good.

If what you are using is a little too fast, you might consider blades in the speed class of the blades above. The rest of the blades you mentioned are close enough to the speed class of the blade you are already using and finding too fast. Also the Korbel and the Stratus Power Wood are fairly reasonably priced.

Less expensive and just as good would be:

Xiom Offensive S. You may like that one.

With a blade in that speed class you can just use the same kind of rubbers you have been using and you should be fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I'm a returning player considering myself to be near the beginner/amateur level having been coached in a club more than 6 years ago, who can do basic FH, BH rally practices and loops (but inconsistent) now.
I decided to make a switch from penhold to SH when I got back into the sport, considering how much more resources and equipment are available for SH players and a more consistent backhand. However, my current H301 is the penhold version, which I now use shakehand with. "Too fast" is how I'd sum up my current setup with the Hurricane 3 fh. Don't know if the handle also matters.
I'm fully aware of my subpar techniques and now practicing to improve them. Though I'm wondering if changing equipment could help, esp. for my penhold blade. I'm now looking at wood blades like Clipper Wood CR, Nittaku Acoustic, and some Butterfly blades like Lin Gaoyuan ALC and Viscaria. Also doubting if I should spend big on my first SH blade.
Still finding my playstyle. However I seem to enjoy flicking BH from close table having experimented and practiced with shakehand grip for now.
Could anyone comment on/suggest blades/rubbers suitable for my use case? Thanks in advance!

Never tried the Acoustic or Lin Gaoyuan, but both the clipper and viscaria will be faster than your 301.

I tried switching to shakehand last year, didn't stick. But Victas Koki Niwa wood (or an older TSP swat) would be a nice step down from Clipper, or you can give Fextra a try for cheap in a similar family.

For carbon, Nexy Yoo Nam Kyu or Butterfly Innerforce ALC should be a bit slower but not much than your 301. Crisper feel.

Reactions: Tango K
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Acoustic (all wood) is a good blade, Acoustic inner plays a little faster but still keeps the woody Acoustic feel. haven’t tried the Acoustic outer. I like the Acoustic blades I’ve tried but prefer Primorac all wood.
BTY Viscaria is faster than the acoustic inner, too fast for me, so it maybe similar for you, but many people love this blade!!!!
BTY Primorac all wood is another very good option, fast enough and versatile. Good for feeling. This is one of my preferred blades!!! If I hadn’t had a couple of blades made by Sergio (SDC blades) one of which is based on a Primorac all wood. Then I would be using a BTY Primorac all wood, I have 2 of them. The made in Japan version, which have a different gluing process etc and are slightly more expensive. The std (Euro made) blades are also extremely good value and very popular, a good blade to start with!!

If you feel you need a little ‘more’ then you can upgrade and won’t have broke the bank buying a Primorac.

Reactions: Tango K