Blade Thickness vs. Weight Combo

This user has no status.
Not to be rude but you are going a little overboard with this. You already have a thread on the exact same question which is still on the front page. https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...-V-Non-Commercial-Pro)-Ideal-Weight-Thickness

Everyone already answered your question in the previous thread. You won't feel a difference at your level, however, yes, the heavier one will be more powerful. If you are going to ask the question, give the people you are asking the question to the respect of reading their answers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Appreciate it.. Not that I didn't read everything there at least once. The answers in that thread mostly pertained to relationships between weight and power, whereas I'm wondering what adding another variable does. This is more of a theoretical discussion regarding the relationship rather than a choice. I already bought the thinner heavier one.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you have two blades that are indeed the "same" blade and one is 5.83mm thick and one is 6.1mm thick, the difference in thickness is enough to consider them two different kinds of blades.

I believe in your other thread the thinner one was of a newer make but there was a question of if it was one of the commercial ones or one of the "pro" model ones. Is that right?

A thinner blade should have more flex. A thicker blade should be stiffer. Stiffer gives more direct power into the ball. Flex gives more dwell and is better for looping.

If DHS is trying to make the same blade and the difference in thickness is that far off, either they changed the thickness of plies and therefore have changed the blade, or they are doing something very wrong to have the blades with an almost 0.3mm thickness differential. The first two blades, the differential was 0.06 which is a fairly acceptable differential. But 0.27 is a differential that is more than 4x larger the 0.06 differential of the first two blades.

But, ultimately Cktenders has a real good point. You are looking at this entirely the wrong way.

The choices laid out on the other thread still apply. Since you are
Not trying either blade, this is the method for determining the best blade:

1) make a cue card for each blade.
2) put the cue cards on a dart board.
3) drink 6 beers and 6 shots of tequila.
4) put blindfolds on.
5) spin till you are totally dizzy.
6) throw till a dart lands on one of your cue cards.

AND THAT IS THE BLADE you should choose.

You are trying to turn something that is not a rational decision into a rational one. And there is no way you can figure out which blade will be "better"--whatever that means since you already have determined that neither blade will be good for you!--without YOU at least trying them to decide which you like better and which feels better in your hand.

So, I have a thought for you. Why not buy both.

But really, I am sure either blade should be fine.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thank you Carl. Your posts are always meaty with good stuff. Thinner equals more flex. That's the info I was looking for that wasn't in the other thread. But you're absolutely right, I'll never be good enough in my life to be able to tell the difference.

If you have two blades that are indeed the "same" blade and one is 5.83mm thick and one is 6.1mm thick, the difference in thickness is enough to consider them two different kinds of blades.

I believe in your other thread the thinner one was of a newer make but there was a question of if it was one of the commercial ones or one of the "pro" model ones. Is that right?

A thinner blade should have more flex. A thicker blade should be stiffer. Stiffer gives more direct power into the ball. Flex gives more dwell and is better for looping.

If DHS is trying to make the same blade and the difference in thickness is that far off, either they changed the thickness of plies and therefore have changed the blade, or they are doing something very wrong to have the blades with an almost 0.3mm thickness differential. The first two blades, the differential was 0.06 which is a fairly acceptable differential. But 0.27 is a differential that is more than 4x larger the 0.06 differential of the first two blades.

But, ultimately Cktenders has a real good point. You are looking at this entirely the wrong way.

The choices laid out on the other thread still apply. Since you are
Not trying either blade, this is the method for determining the best blade:

1) make a cue card for each blade.
2) put the cue cards on a dart board.
3) drink 6 beers and 6 shots of tequila.
4) put blindfolds on.
5) spin till you are totally dizzy.
6) throw till a dart lands on one of your cue cards.

AND THAT IS THE BLADE you should choose.

You are trying to turn something that is not a rational decision into a rational one. And there is no way you can figure out which blade will be "better"--whatever that means since you already have determined that neither blade will be good for you!--without YOU at least trying them to decide which you like better and which feels better in your hand.

So, I have a thought for you. Why not buy both.

But really, I am sure either blade should be fine.

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If Soju does the job then it would work every bit as well as Tequilla or Tequila.

young dude, I am not so sure the issue is whether you would be able to feel the difference. You probably will be able to feel the difference.

But there is no way, by numbers on a page that you can tell which one you will like better. And it is guaranteed that what you like better now will like change when you are 5-7 levels higher than you are now.

Here is a story. I've told this before. So there are people on the forum who have heard this before.

A friend of mine is trying two blades. One is a Cornilleau Hinotek All+ and one is a Jonyer H. I try them and I say, I like the Hinotek and it feels faster and crisper. This woman who is a pro tries them both and says the Jonyer is the far superior blade and that it is faster and has more control and gets more spin. In fact she said that she didn't see any reason for using a blade as slow as the Hinotek when it had such poor control.

Now why did we have such different responses to the blades, such different feelings about the blades?

Well she was an awful lot better than me and her contact was better than mine and I was hitting flat and she was looping. I did not have the technique to feel what she felt.

For hitting flat the Hinotek was and still is, better. For looping the Jonyer is WAY WAY better. But I couldn't feel it because I wasn't really looping even if I thought I was.

Once I could really loop I darn sure could feel it.

But you would be better with a 5 ply all wood blade than the blades you are EJing about. And there is no way to tell which one you will like more or which one will be better without having the damned thing in your hand.

These blades are made mostly of wood. It's like asking which woman you would like better based on their dimensions and weight as though you could tell their looks, personality and demeanor from looking at numbers. Technically the blades are supposed to be the same blades. Those numbers don't mean anything until you feel and compare the two. And when you are 5-7 levels higher the one you like will probably be different from the one you would like more now.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Here is a story. I've told this before. So there are people on the forum who have heard this before.

Hahahaaa.
[Emoji2]
Not only once, Carl, but i still don't get tired of reading it, 'cause there is so much behind it, and people especially young people tend to overestimate their levels and often compare themselves to pros.
So excellent sample, Carl.
[Emoji106]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hahahaaa.
[Emoji2]
Not only once, Carl, but i still don't get tired of reading it, 'cause there is so much behind it, and people especially young people tend to overestimate their levels and often compare themselves to pros.
So excellent sample, Carl.
[Emoji106]

Yep, I probably have told that story 10 or more times. The understanding that as our level improves and we get better, how we touch the ball and what our hand can feel changes. And the things that make a blade feel good to us will also change.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is really something that is hard to explain to a newer player who is playing at a mid or low level.

You can't really buy a blade at that level, and expect that you are buying it for when you are higher level.

When you are higher level you will actually have a decent idea of what will be best for you and you will simply get it and use it.

What you think you will want to use when your level improves and what you actually will want are not really related.

However, getting a memento to put on a wall is totally fine. And if that is what is going on, then the difference in the numbers on the chart really are besides the point. And my money says they are both fine blades. But that a hand made blade from someone like:

Ross Leidy: http://rossleidy.com
or
OSP: http://ospblades.com
or
Blades By Charlie: http://www.bladesbycharlie.com

Now, I've tried blades from all three of those hand made, custom made blade makers. I have and am using one of my 4 blades by OSP. I felt the Ross Leidy blade I tried was exactly what the player who had it made wanted and it felt pretty darn awesome. And the blades that Charlie made for Rocky Wang which I tried may have been the most addictive of the bunch.

But a mass produced "custom" blade, supposedly made for Ma Long....well, I guess I already know that wouldn't interest me.

It is fair that it interests some. But I dislike the hype around special black tag or specific serial number blades from Butterfly. And I think somehow CNT fans blow the value of DHS specialty products out of proportion too.

I will agree that there are higher level players who can feel, utilize and appreciate the differences. So I am not denying that the differences exist. It just seems, so many of the people crazed by the fever to obtain these kinds of products will really have very little idea of what they have or what actually makes it special.

For a decently high level player, the difference between H3 commercial and H3 National may be worthwhile. For a player working on his loop, not really....well....really not. $20.00 commercial H3 and Haifu SeaMoon Booster is awesome enough.

Last edited: