Butterfly Petr Korbel (Do they actually differ?)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi guys,

I play with two people who use the Korbel blade. One is the made in Japan version, the other the Korbel with no Japan markings.

I have seen lots of conflicting views on the two countries of manufacture. I have seen people say that the Japan Korbel plays different/better than the European made Korbel.

I tried both, however there were different rubbers on each blade. So perhaps I can't evaluate this well. But for me I wasn't sure if they played all that differently. Maybe just that the finish quality was better on the Japan Korbel.

Has anyone else got any feedback on the subject matter? Do you feel like one plays better than the other? Or are you like me and cannot understand why some people find them so different in play?

Any view is appreciated, it'd be good to see people's experiences!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Japan ver. size blade 157x150 weight 87-91 gr Made in Japan. Plays Aleksey Liventsov
Euro ver. size blade 159x151 weight 84-87 gr. Made in Estonia. Plays Aleksander Shibaev.

This user has no status.
Japan ver. size blade 157x150 weight 87-91 gr Made in Japan. Plays Aleksey Liventsov
Euro ver. size blade 159x151 weight 84-87 gr. Made in Estonia. Plays Aleksander Shibaev.

Liventsov plays with some Butterfly Zhang Jike (maybe ALC) for some time now.
Shibaev plays with some Clipper-like (some red plies) blade with Korbel handle.

I've played with euro Korbel before switching to Carbonado145, and I really liked it (and I still play sometimes with it because of that nice woody feeling). It's very balanced blade and can do it all - good speed, spin, feeling and control.

Gionis is playing with european Korbel. Also not so long time ago Pitchford and Kallberg was playing with it (now both switched to Viscaria).

Never tried Japan version, would be really interesting to hear from someone who tried both.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I have tried both, in simple terms you can say that the Euro version feels "hollow" compared to the Japanese version. I still think both versions are good blades but maybe by influence by have read about the Japanese version before I have to say that the Japanese version felt better. A player from USA who at the moment plays in the same club as me used it before he switched to a Rosewood VII and when I tried his Korbel I could feel a difference even if I didn't know it was an another version untill he told me. More stabile/solid and with a touch that just felt better even if I normally like a bit lighter blades. Can compare it to using a light Clipper vs using a heavy Clipper.

Last edited:
Reactions: ridderz65
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Shibaev plays euro Korbel ! Shibaev.jpg

This user has no status.
Zlodei-2, it's just another up-to-date image found on google. Black handle with yellow lines around (check google how bty zhang jike alc/zlc looks like). Maybe he's just changing his blades in every tournament, I don't know, but lately in pics/videos I saw him playing with this blade. Maybe he got back to Korbel, I don't know also. I just provide info that I saw lately. That's it.

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 12.21.12.jpg

This user has no status.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459545572.441713.jpg

Thanks... I did not have my paddle with me, when I asked...

When I was reading the reviews, I thought mine felt like the Japan version... More solid.

Now it is confirmed I have the Japan version!!!

Thanks again for your follow up.

Ps: I save some $$$ by having to address my EJ needs, now that I know the better version of the two [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D