Cheap alternative to D05?

This user has no status.
Hello,

I want to build a cheap training racket out of a chinese FZD ALC (stuor) copy to train attacking half long balls without the fear of breaking or hitting my 300gbp setup on the corner of the table, but I don't really want to spend another 80gbp on a sheet of D05 for this purpose.

Is there any cheap rubber that plays similar enough to not throw my game off? Hardness being similar is important to me.

This user has no status.
Big Dipper 38 or AK47 Red would or boosted Aurora Max would be best options.
Are those not quite a bit softer than D05? Big dipper looks interesting, is it tacky though?

Glayzer is 2 degrees softer but it is the most similar thing to Dignics 05 I tried so far
That's still about 45gbp a sheet. I'm trying to build a cheap setup that's as close as it gets without breaking the bank, but yeah Glayzer being a step down from D05, I'm sure it plays similarly.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
Big Dipper 38 or 39 is a good option. It's tacky but pretty bouncy. With booster is even better.38 boosted is mushy, if boosting take 39 version. The hardest 729 Aurora Max with booster I think is good. I had the softest one. Only with booster. Ak47 red is ok. Really fast, on D05 level but not grippy. If you are ready to play through the sponge ak47 performs well

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Are those not quite a bit softer than D05? Big dipper looks interesting, is it tacky though?

That's still about 45gbp a sheet. I'm trying to build a cheap setup that's as close as it gets without breaking the bank, but yeah Glayzer being a step down from D05, I'm sure it plays similarly.
BD and AK47 Red are as hard or harder than D05. When I measure my AK47, it comes out over 50d ESN.

BD is not really tacky, its just barely grippier than regular matte rubbers.

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I second Glayzer.

Big Dipper and AK47 are cheap but they do not have much if any catapult effect.

I mean, do you want Xiom Vega Intro? it is as cheap as it gets with some catapult effects.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Ok so here is my issue with the other recommendations. The OP clearly wants something similar to Dignics 05 but on a budget. Therefore that is clearly not going to happen.

Dignics 05 has quite a bit of catapult to it so anything Chinese is out of the window. What is the point of perfecting the shot with a Chinese rubber, albeit linear and non-tacky one, when his goal is to go back to D05 for real matches and game?

In addition, Dignics 05 is not tacky. So why practicing the shot with hurricane 3 where the surface is tacky?

The only tensor rubber that is really really on a budget is Vega Intro, especially if you get 30% off on a bulk discount. If someone can come up with a tensor or Butterfly rubber that is cheaper than Vega Intro, then please spit out the name.

The only other thing I can come up with is to buy a worn D05 from a clubmate for 15 GBP if someone really wants to sell one.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok so here is my issue with the other recommendations. The OP clearly wants something similar to Dignics 05 but on a budget. Therefore that is clearly not going to happen.

Dignics 05 has quite a bit of catapult to it so anything Chinese is out of the window. What is the point of perfecting the shot with a Chinese rubber, albeit linear and non-tacky one, when his goal is to go back to D05 for real matches and game?

In addition, Dignics 05 is not tacky. So why practicing the shot with hurricane 3 where the surface is tacky?

The only tensor rubber that is really really on a budget is Vega Intro, especially if you get 30% off on a bulk discount. If someone can come up with a tensor or Butterfly rubber that is cheaper than Vega Intro, then please spit out the name.

The only other thing I can come up with is to buy a worn D05 from a clubmate for 15 GBP if someone really wants to sell one.

Yep. The OP's question is a fantasy question. If there was something just like D05 but inexpensive, there are a lot of people who would be using it. :)

This user has no status.
Yep. The OP's question is a fantasy question. If there was something just like D05 but inexpensive, there are a lot of people who would be using it. :)
Oh absolutely, which is why I wanted something similar. I'm aware I won't get a cheap rubber that performs the same.
I just want a similar level of hardness and speed for the sake of not needing to re-adjust too much on my shots.
I just want to practice attacking half-long balls without risking my nice setup. It's to get past that mental block where I'm afraid of attacking them or half-ass my shots/butcher my technique.

This user has no status.

It's not just the speed but the spin. The spin on a quality D05 or Hurricane stroke is unrivalled by other rubbers.

Reactions: Choosikick
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Oh absolutely, which is why I wanted something similar. I'm aware I won't get a cheap rubber that performs the same.
I just want a similar level of hardness and speed for the sake of not needing to re-adjust too much on my shots.
I just want to practice attacking half-long balls without risking my nice setup. It's to get past that mental block where I'm afraid of attacking them or half-ass my shots/butcher my technique.
From what I've read online, D05 is around 50d+ on ESN scale. Relatively affordable Euro/Japanese rubbers with that sponge hardness include DHS Goldarc 8 and Stiga Mantra H. A lot more options if you are willing to go down to 47.5d.

I don't think there are Chinese-made rubber (Goldarc is ESN) that would fit the bill. Non-tacky Chinese rubbers are usually designed for BH use and therefore softer than tacky rubbers in general. Plus very few of them would be able to match the speed to top-end Euro/Japanese rubber like D05 without boosting; but boosting will make the sponge even softer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The bad news is that it is largely a waste of time to look for something that plays like Spring Sponge.

The good news is that a lot of rubbers play well with the new plastic ball. ESN has produced a lot of new generation stuff to play with the plastic ball and many of its historical offerings do a good job as well.

From the ESN first Tenergy-like generation, I like Fastarc G-1 and C-1, but Genius, Hexer, Baracuda, Xplode, Eakza 7 and Vega Pro all have fans. And they are fairly cheap usually, they won't get you Dignics 05 effect, but you can use good technique with most of them and get very good results at levels below the top.

The next generation of ESN rubbers I am a bit less familiar with but I liked those as well. I mostly played Evolution MX-S because I don't like stuff that is boosted and loses its speed after a few months - I prefer stable performance rather than great performance followed by a big drop off. So I didn't really like the Rasants and Bluefires and even Evolution MX-P.

Most top level rubbers from ESN today, the Rasanters and the Dynarz and K3s, the issue is really whether you are ready to change after a period because of the way the booster wears off. But they all respond well to advanced technique. None of them are so much cheaper than Dignics that they fit your criteria. If you can't spend something in the realm of $40 or £40 on a rubber or more realistically $55 or £55, you have to manage the performance of the rubber yourself. Most of the newest ones are more targeted at being like Dignics 09c. But there are usually Dignics 05 analogs as well. But none are extremely cheap. And while one will have to adjust if changing equipment, it isn't a crazy or special adjustment, just lots of training hours to get used to the equipment.

I use a hard sponge, soft topsheet rubber right now from 2018 I believe called Golden Tango from Joola. It is a slower Dignics 09c to me, and I think Joola has a more boosted hybrid version (which if you have understood my rantings so far, I have no interest in). The main reason I use the rubber is that I know a USATT 2400 player who uses it on his forehand and I have a lot of experience using harder and tacky rubbers on my backhand (you need bigger swings but there are tradeoffs in pushing and control). It costs me about $36-$40 per sheet. I use it on reasonably fast carbon blades.

My main point in all this is that if you can't spend £45 on Glayzer, just get something that a player you like plays with and get used to it. I think we have USATT 2400+ using Fastarc C1 If Sarah Jalli's profile is correct, I make this point to say that once you know a player at a respectable level is using equipment to play the way you want to play, then you can tell the equipment will not be the main barrier to your development. I used Fastarc C1 until very recently with no regrets. One could definitely use G1 as well.

Of course ignore all this if you are at a really strong level already. But for me, while money is not a problem for me per se, I just prefer something I know a good player uses and whose performance doesnt change a lot throughout the life cycle of the rubber.

Finally Dignics 05 lasts a long time. If you buy and use a sheet, you could use it for up to a year. Maybe even more. You just have to put the racket in a case, clean it with distilled water and avoid leaving it out in hot weather. There is a good case to be made that most amateurs who want to use Dignics would get more value actually using it than testing tubbers that don't play like it. But the upfront cost affects their decision making adversely.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The bad news is that it is largely a waste of time to look for something that plays like Spring Sponge.

The good news is that a lot of rubbers play well with the new plastic ball. ESN has produced a lot of new generation stuff to play with the plastic ball and many of its historical offerings do a good job as well.

From the ESN first Tenergy-like generation, I like Fastarc G-1 and C-1, but Genius, Hexer, Baracuda, Xplode, Eakza 7 and Vega Pro all have fans. And they are fairly cheap usually, they won't get you Dignics 05 effect, but you can use good technique with most of them and get very good results at levels below the top.

The next generation of ESN rubbers I am a bit less familiar with but I liked those as well. I mostly played Evolution MX-S because I don't like stuff that is boosted and loses its speed after a few months - I prefer stable performance rather than great performance followed by a big drop off. So I didn't really like the Rasants and Bluefires and even Evolution MX-P.

Most top level rubbers from ESN today, the Rasanters and the Dynarz and K3s, the issue is really whether you are ready to change after a period because of the way the booster wears off. But they all respond well to advanced technique. None of them are so much cheaper than Dignics that they fit your criteria. If you can't spend something in the realm of $40 or £40 on a rubber or more realistically $55 or £55, you have to manage the performance of the rubber yourself. Most of the newest ones are more targeted at being like Dignics 09c. But there are usually Dignics 05 analogs as well. But none are extremely cheap. And while one will have to adjust if changing equipment, it isn't a crazy or special adjustment, just lots of training hours to get used to the equipment.

I use a hard sponge, soft topsheet rubber right now from 2018 I believe called Golden Tango from Joola. It is a slower Dignics 09c to me, and I think Joola has a more boosted hybrid version (which if you have understood my rantings so far, I have no interest in). The main reason I use the rubber is that I know a USATT 2400 player who uses it on his forehand and I have a lot of experience using harder and tacky rubbers on my backhand (you need bigger swings but there are tradeoffs in pushing and control). It costs me about $36-$40 per sheet. I use it on reasonably fast carbon blades.

My main point in all this is that if you can't spend £45 on Glayzer, just get something that a player you like plays with and get used to it. I think we have USATT 2400+ using Fastarc C1 If Sarah Jalli's profile is correct, I make this point to say that once you know a player at a respectable level is using equipment to play the way you want to play, then you can tell the equipment will not be the main barrier to your development. I used Fastarc C1 until very recently with no regrets. One could definitely use G1 as well.

Of course ignore all this if you are at a really strong level already. But for me, while money is not a problem for me per se, I just prefer something I know a good player uses and whose performance doesnt change a lot throughout the life cycle of the rubber.

Finally Dignics 05 lasts a long time. If you buy and use a sheet, you could use it for up to a year. Maybe even more. You just have to put the racket in a case, clean it with distilled water and avoid leaving it out in hot weather. There is a good case to be made that most amateurs who want to use Dignics would get more value actually using it than testing tubbers that don't play like it. But the upfront cost affects their decision making adversely.
I already have D05 on my main racket. I want something that I won't cry about if I break it on the edge of the table training how to attack half long balls.
Mantra H was an option I considered, but it's faster and softer according to reviews so I figured it may not be a great idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I already have D05 on my main racket. I want something that I won't cry about if I break it on the edge of the table training how to attack half long balls.
Mantra H was an option I considered, but it's faster and softer according to reviews so I figured it may not be a great idea.
Curious, how many rubbers have you broken attacking half long balls? Chipping the edge of the racket is very normal and is hobby hazard, but over time, you just accept that some balls you can't attack and you are okay with losing the point or pushing. But if you have broken a lot, then sure, get something cheaper but I don't think this is the kind of thing that should be influencing what rubber you choose to play with. And as an aside, I think looping half long balls is easier with tacky rubber but that is not important here.

This user has no status.
If you want something fast, hard, cheap, non-tacky, Chinese and durable, I think it's gotta be a Loki T3. The spin is nowhere near dignics.level (actually it's downright average most of the time) but on some occasions if you get your technique *just right* the spin can surprise you (especially with a Limba outer blade or something else that"s really spinny.) Speed-wise it's definitely in Dignics / Tenergy territory and has a good catapult like playing feel. It also lasts forever, and once it's really softened up with heavy hitting or age, then yeah - it can be a bit dignics like. Frankly it's a chronically underrated rubber IMO. If you can persevere with it and master getting spin out of its weird top-sheet, then it's almost tournament worthy.

The Loki Rxton 3 TOP is also very T3-like, but has a touch more spin, and a touch less speed -- I wouldn't compare it to Dignics though, it's too far removed.

The AK-47 Red can be very Dignics-like in performance, and is definitely tournament worthy... it's just not quite as hard, or as long lasting. Out of all the ones mentioned, the AK-47 is probably closest to your brief for my money, and it's ridiculously cheap to boot so the longevity doesn't matter. One sheet of D05 is the same cost as FIVE sheets of AK-47 Red, so who needs longevity? Do what I do... Buy five, change 'em often, and you can thank me later. 😎

If you want something cheap that actually really plays like a D05 though, get a second hand used D05. The above are all good rubbers, but they are still a step down from real dignics like performance... That step is smallest however with the AK-47 Red, which is why I use it on so many of my own blades.

Last edited: