Chinese Trials for World Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
2 tickets will be given after this trials. I bet ML will take one of them. I think the top 4 will go and it is the fifth player FB who is at risk at the moment with all loses. Will see if he can do better in the latter stage to impress LGL.

Yan An is also 0-4 - Amazing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Day 3 schedule (5 Mar 2017):

13:05

Xu Chenhao vs Zhang Jike
Zhu Yuling vs Wu Yang

13:30
Fang Bo vs Ma Long
Zhou Yu vs Yan An

13:57
Fan Zhendong vs Zhou Qihao
Lin Gaoyuan vs Liu Dingshuo

14:22
Li Jiayi vs Ding Ning
Mu Zi vs Wu Yang

14:47
Wang Manyu vs Liu Shiwen
Guo Yuting vs Zhu Yuling

15:12
Xu Chenhao vs Ma Long
Chen Meng vs Chen Ke

15:40
Xu Xin vs Zhang Jike
Liang Jingkun vs Zhou Qihao

16:05
Fang Bo vs Fan Zhendong
Li Jiayi vs Liu Shiwen

19:00
Ding Ning vs Feng Yalan
Wang Manyu vs Yuan Xuejiao

19:25
Zhang Jike vs Zhou Yu
Yan An vs Liu Dingshuo

19:50
Xu Xin vs Ma Long
Lin Gaoyuan vs Zhou Qihao

20:20
Xu Chenhao vs Fan Zhendong
Li Jiayi vs Feng Yalan

20:45
Liu Shiwen vs Yuan Xuejiao
Liang Jingkun vs Fang Bo

21:10
Ding Ning vs Chen Ke
Wang Manyu vs Wu Yang

21:35
Chen Meng vs Zhu Yuling
Mu Zi vs Gu Yuting

Last edited:
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
20 year old Zhou Qihao defeats Ma Long!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FITTFWorld%2Fvideos%2F1677219785641351%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
The days for Yan An and Fang Bo seem to be over without ever really having started. They are at the same level as +- Freitas, which is not good enough for the chinese team. I thought they would progress and replace the "older" generation. I remember back when Zhang Jike and Xu Xin suddenly came up (Ma long was already there), they really demanded that spot in the Worlds,... they were just better than Ma Lin and Wang Liqin from 2010 on. Now Ma Long is 28 and his days are definitely not counted yet, for which I am thankfull, you have to love his consistency, determination,... He is more a superstar than ZJK in my eyes

This user has no status.
I hate that I can't understand what they are talking. Also fans shouts sometimes somthing funny.. :D

Thank god ZJK beat FB 2:1 even missing 4 serve receive in game 3. :)

FB suffered all loses and ranked 12, :( and next he has to face ML and FZD tomorrow. Bad luck.

Hey, anyone familiar with what FB and ZJK were saying at 6:1 in 2nd game? They both laughed and I think commentators gave an explanation, but it's in Chinese :) Did FB think it was a let? And what was ZJK's joke?

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hey, anyone familiar with what FB and ZJK were saying at 6:1 in 2nd game? They both laughed and I think commentators gave an explanation, but it's in Chinese :) Did FB think it was a let? And what was the ZJK's joke?

He probably told " dude come on now, we both know you belong to the basement" :cool:

This user has no status.
The score that is shown on the tables; how does it work? Is it a projection?

I suspect it's post, like how they show the first down in football games (only visible to tv). At least, that is how it appeared to me (the digits appeared to almost float). I'm likely wrong, can anyone verify one way or the other?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I suspect it's post, like how they show the first down in football games (only visible to tv). At least, that is how it appeared to me (the digits appeared to almost float). I'm likely wrong, can anyone verify one way or the other?

I think the graphics are ON the table and visual to players also.

Sometimes the graphics are probably distracting but, only the players can confirm this. In most matches the score appears inbetween bpoints so I guess the players are a bit distracted. If anyone has better info please provide!

Last edited:
Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
Xu Xin takes no prisoners here. Maybe I shouldn't have doubted him

Liked this, because I too have begun to doubt XX, but to be fair I've begun doubting penhold rather than XX. penhold still appears to be not well suited to the new ball, where as XX is good enough to compensate for its inherent shortcomings... at least for now.

This user has no status.
I think sending the older but not successful generation, like yan an and fang bo, is pointless. They should invest their time on LJK, Xu ChenHao, Liu DingShou.

Lin Gaoyuan does not have enoug hpower. Zhou Yu has good technique but somehow he didn't win in international tournament last few years.

I also think Xu Xin cannot do much more to win major tournaments because the penhold style is just harder to play with.

The penhold grip is not as solid/sturdy as shake hand. It offers more in way of spin, but you compromise a little stability and control (relatively speaking).

Penhold for me involved a lot more wrist and grip conditioning and strengthening compared to shake hand. The new ball being heavier adversely affects this grip. (Even if it is by a fraction of a percentage, hindrance is still hindrance, more so at the higher level).

I do miss that about the celluloid ball :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
The penhold grip is not as solid/sturdy as shake hand. It offers more in way of spin, but you compromise a little stability and control (relatively speaking).

Penhold for me involved a lot more wrist and grip conditioning and strengthening compared to shake hand. The new ball being heavier adversely affects this grip. (Even if it is by a fraction of a percentage, hindrance is still hindrance, more so at the higher level).

I do miss that about the celluloid ball :(

I agree with you about the spin and stability.

In my view, it is the BH defense that suffers the most. XX just cannot defend as solidly as FZD can. WH's defence back then weren't particularly good as well (but the older generation in general cannot defend as well). The fact that the limited wrist-angle-range while in RPB mode probably contributes to the difficulty in defence.

This user has no status.
This is the graphic representation of the Phase 2 so far. It helped me to better understand who beat who (and it looks like almost everybody beat everybody).

Attachments

• The marvellous 12.jpg
    The marvellous 12.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 156
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
1.There are just a few player who plays penhold, so it's harder to find top players than shakehand. But there are good players among the youngsters. Xu Fei is really talented, Liu Dingshuo and Yu Ziyang are just a step ahead. In the junior championship Harimoto beat a chinese penholder kid and despite the loss he was selected for a reason.
2.Xu Xin's game is based on his forehand. His excessive footwork plus his devastating forehand power and stability was enough for a while. Unfortunately this style has some weaknesses: close to table players could find patterns what are simply killing his game. If his opponent is stable enough, he can exploit these patterns. Look at what FZD does with him! But Xu Xin isn't stupid and he tries to advance his backhand to cancel these weaknesses. Changing habits is extremely hard.

I think nothing is wrong with penhold, just good coaches mostly teach shakehand because: 1.they were shakehand players, so why would they teach penhold? 2.they see that in modern TT only a few penholder is successful and they think therefore shakehand must be superior in modern gameplay.
The other problem is that because of simply unluck the most talented players learned shakehand and current penholders have their own problems.

Reactions: yuri.saldon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
This is the graphic representation of the Phase 2 so far. It helped me to better understand who beat who (and it looks like almost everybody beat everybody).
The first question what popped up in my mind is 'What's the total amount of degrees in that graph?' :)