Chinese Trials for World Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I agree that CTTSL market in China has suffered in recent years but there was a burst last year, which had nothing to do with ZJK and ZJK's fangirls. The same holds true for the trials. There are at most 1000 ZJK's fangirls from all around the country to see him this time. The number of 1k is bigger than that of DN, ML and so on (maybe 2-3 fold of each other player). But the number of 1k is not big at all considering his 8 million Weibo followers, and it is not big enough if you add up the fans of other players. In addition, a lot of people just enjoy watching live stream with commentators such as Wang Nan, Zhang Yining, Wang Liqin, Ma Lin and Chen Qi. These world champions commented a lot on the techniques and performances of the players and shared a lot of funny stories in the past few days. I don't see a must to attract those people to watch the event in the stadium in person when they get a better option of live stream, especially on the afternoons of workdays.

ZJK has more fangirls and more Weibo followers than any other CNT player. However, it is very funny that the number of 8 million Weibo followers is frequently mentioned in table tennis news. The number of Weibo followers only means the number of Weibo accounts which follow his account. A person can get multiple accounts. The number of followers is not a big deal as you can easily find a person with more than 10 million followers, who is not a celebrity at all. Also as I mentioned, ZJK released a single song for fans to download (0.3 Euro for each download, no limits for how many times one can download), there were 200,000 downloads in the first 10 days. What would you say about his 8 million Weibo followers? The slogans of ZJK's fangirls shown or screamed in the trials are "I only like ZJK", "Nobody can stand by ZJK" and so on. They do not give a shit about table tennis or CNT - this is not my personal bias; this is the prevailing opinions in popular Chinese table tennis forums.

And FYI, I was born and grew up in China and I read daily news and gossips in Chinese though I am currently working abroad. I don't mind sharing more info of CNT, for example, what the commentators mentioned above said, what LGL really meant during the press conference yesterday, if some people are really interested.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you can spot it. The CTTSL had far less attendance than the trials. Only in semifinals and finals the stadiums were almost full. I dont consider 500-1000 people (max) in a stadium satisfying attendace in cities with million citizens. TT in china is suffering a slow death since years ago its just that with characters like ZJK it can get more popular again.

zjK had the most weibo followers even before Rio . We all know chinese policies around its athletes, first of all they are soldiers so I highly doubt that ZJK is free to choose what he is going to do with his career.

Please dont tell me that LGL said "its up to him" cause its a lie, LGL will tell in media what people want to hear. Wang hao didnt want to retire he said it many times yet he was somehow "retired"

p.s. For your information, I have a brother living in china suzhou and get to visit 2 times, so Im not making anything up, I know about chinese mentality/philosophy and authorities first hand. Im not claiming I know better, but I have a good taste :)

I agree that CTTSL market in China has suffered in recent years but there was a burst last year, which had nothing to do with ZJK and ZJK's fangirls. The same holds true for the trials. There are at most 1000 ZJK's fangirls from all around the country to see him this time. The number of 1k is bigger than that of DN, ML and so on (maybe 2-3 fold of each other player). But the number of 1k is not big at all considering his 8 million Weibo followers, and it is not big enough if you add up the fans of other players. In addition, a lot of people just enjoy watching live stream with commentators such as Wang Nan, Zhang Yining, Wang Liqin, Ma Lin and Chen Qi. These world champions commented a lot on the techniques and performances of the players and shared a lot of funny stories in the past few days. I don't see a must to attract those people to watch the event in the stadium in person when they get a better option of live stream, especially on the afternoons of workdays.

ZJK has more fangirls and more Weibo followers than any other CNT player. However, it is very funny that the number of 8 million Weibo followers is frequently mentioned in table tennis news. The number of Weibo followers only means the number of Weibo accounts which follow his account. A person can get multiple accounts. The number of followers is not a big deal as you can easily find a person with more than 10 million followers, who is not a celebrity at all. Also as I mentioned, ZJK released a single song for fans to download (0.3 Euro for each download, no limits for how many times one can download), there were 200,000 downloads in the first 10 days. What would you say about his 8 million Weibo followers? The slogans of ZJK's fangirls shown or screamed in the trials are "I only like ZJK", "Nobody can stand by ZJK" and so on. They do not give a shit about table tennis or CNT - this is not my personal bias; this is the prevailing opinions in popular Chinese table tennis forums.

And FYI, I was born and grew up in China and I read daily news and gossips in Chinese though I am currently working abroad. I don't mind sharing more info of CNT, for example, what the commentators mentioned above said, what LGL really meant during the press conference yesterday, if some people are really interested.

I'm interested

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

i'm very interested too, please share with us

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews

yesss . tell us pleaseee . i was looking for other sport stars's weibo like badminton champions lindan & chen long or some swimmers who are big stars in china but their followers were not more than zhang jike's . even liu shiwen's followers are more than this years badminton olympic champion chen long . I mean its not just zjk but other CNT players are favorite as well . well it shows TT is the most loved sport in china at least after olympic . But again you are a native there and surely know more than us .

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2017-03-07/doc-ifycaafm5487934.shtml
http://310pe.co/complex/bingbanqiu/201703/539496.html
guys i found this news in chinese . you can read them by google translate in google chrome if u are sooo interested :D

and sth else :rolleyes::eek::p the closing ceremony of 1st stage

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Schedule of stage 2 (Men) 9th March (GMT+8)
1435 Xu Xin Vs Fang Bo (A) L
1435 XU Chenhao Vs Liang Jingkun (A)
1527 Lin Gaoyuan Vs Shang Kun (B) L
1527 Yan An Vs Zhou Qihao (B)
1617 Ma Long Vs Zhou Kai (C) L
1617 Liu Dingshuo Vs Zhou Yu (C)

Schedule of stage 2 (Women) 9th March (GMT+8)
1410 Chen Meng Vs Wu Yang (A) L
1410 Yuan Xuejiao Vs Mu Zi (A)
1502 Ding Ning Vs Gu Yuting (B) L
1502 Wang Manyu Vs Chen Ke (B)
1552 Feng Yalan Vs Che Xiaoxi (C) L
1552 Li Jiayi Vs Zhu Yuling (C)

Broadcast schedule (GMT+8)
1410 Chen Meng Vs Wu Yang (A) L
1435 Xu Xin Vs Fang Bo (A) L
1502 Ding Ning Vs Gu Yuting (B) L
1527 Lin Gaoyuan Vs Shang Kun (B) L
1552 Feng Yalan Vs Che Xiaoxi (C) L
1617 Ma Long Vs Zhou Kai (C) L

*Matches will be played one after another. Besides of the first match, others are the predicted starting time and are subjected to changes

*I am just a table tennis fan. These are the translation of what I can find on the website and do not speak for the official site

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

im interested also :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014
Yes you're right. if in stage 3 every player wins 1 and loses 1 match though, they start over at 10-10 and keep doing this until one player wins both his matches, from what I understood :D
Again, its written on that page. Would be great, if someone who could speak chinese, can translate it properly.

From Google Translator i got that 3 winners of stage 2 will go to the stage 3 and winner of stage 3 will get the ticket. (next 3 players will be selected by LGL?)

Reactions: romanzdk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Stage II: For each group (A, B, C), the person who wins 2 knockout matches (BO3) will proceed
Stage III: The person who beats the other 2 will get the WTTC ticket. The first round is BO3. If no one wins 2 matches after the first round, the second round is BO1. If no one wins 2 matches after the second round, the third round is to start at 10-10.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Stage II: For each group (A, B, C), the person who wins 2 knockout matches (BO3) will proceed
Stage III: The person who beats the other 2 will get the WTTC ticket. The first round is BO3. If no one wins 2 matches after the first round, the second round is BO1. If no one wins 2 matches after the second round, the third round is to start at 10-10.

The Chinese coaches must love coming up with this kind of stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Actually they are. They even stand attention and coaches have military ranks.

ofc i dont mean soldiers like in a battlefield or with regular army training. but military philosophy applies in discipline and behavior aspects.

punishments etc are also a part.

PLA for example "people's liberation army" the team of wang hao and fan zhendong is actually the military force of china (pla has other teams in sports also and participates in chinese national games every 4 years) . If Im not mistaken LGL also served there as a player
Some of the players have military training because they are from the PLA but you cant label the whole national team as soldiers. As for what you call 'military philosophy' such as punishment, well that is widespread in all forms of sports, take football clubs, players are banned or fined for any wrongdoing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
In a Western democratic country of course they are not. But somewhere else on Earth...

merrycnt1.jpg

That's military training that LGL introduced because he thought it would help their training which is only for a couple of days once a year or less. They are not part time soldiers or something. And also the whole training is very light-hearted and the videos you see they're mostly messing around.

Reactions: Xylit
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Some of the players have military training because they are from the PLA but you cant label the whole national team as soldiers. As for what you call 'military philosophy' such as punishment, well that is widespread in all forms of sports, take football clubs, players are banned or fined for any wrongdoing.

I think what he means is that the players "serve" for the nation. They can not choose their club for example (e.g. the top 4 are all playing for different teams) or the tournaments they participate in like european players can. They are like a symbol for the greatness of China and should represent that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

One more time : I didnt label them as soldiers with the dictionary meaning. The philosophy,punishments,behavior,respect to superiors, program is almost like in the military. Total different situation than in the west.

If timo boll is not sleeping by bedtime then no one will punish him, not the same situation in CNT.

Ma wenge was kicked from the CNT for not waking up early and being right on training time. ZJK was kicked because of his behavior towarsd coaches. He was accepted back and in 2009 he was punished again and didnt participate in WTTC 2009.

Guo Yue was kicked from the CNT also . Dont get too busy/excited with semantics and word meanings. If the west training philosophy is not similar to a military training program then the chinese one is definitely similar if not of the same philosophy. Punishment and obedience to superiors were born/invented in military regimes