Chinese Trials for World Championships 2017

This user has no status.
Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread, but when is Stage 2 taking place?

ZJK has confirmed he is playing Stage 2, but surely he can't have recovered so quickly if It is in the near future...

:)

Apologies, I just read further up that it starts on 9th March.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
When xu xin, ma Long, Zhang Jike retire... (which will be similar timing with Fang Bo, Yan An and Zhou Yu a bit after..?)
I imagine the top 4 it will be something like
1. FZD (I would predict he'll probably have a longer reign than Ma Long...)
2. Lin Gaoyan
2. Liang JingKun (though he needs to up his psychology)
4. zhou Kai (?)
Tbh, I also hope Xue Fei can make it up there, atm I can't see it happening but Penholders are slowly nourished, so who knows...
what do you guys think?

i agree that fzd probably will have a longer reign than ma long, maybe he will make a history by winning two grand slam titles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
When xu xin, ma Long, Zhang Jike retire... (which will be similar timing with Fang Bo, Yan An and Zhou Yu a bit after..?)
I imagine the top 4 it will be something like
1. FZD (I would predict he'll probably have a longer reign than Ma Long...)
2. Lin Gaoyan
2. Liang JingKun (though he needs to up his psychology)
4. zhou Kai (?)
Tbh, I also hope Xue Fei can make it up there, atm I can't see it happening but Penholders are slowly nourished, so who knows...
what do you guys think?

Lin Gaoyan might have a chance but I didn't see enough of him yet. tbh I don't think any of those in the trials right now become one of the top 4. I don't see them becoming better than ML even if he is 34+, but maybe I am underestimating the value of a personal coach.

It appears to me that ML, FZD, ZJK were all way ahead when they were 18-20 than those guys are right now. I think the first one that gets kicked might be replaced by WANG Chuqin in some years.

Reactions: romanzdk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Lin Gaoyan might have a chance but I didn't see enough of him yet. tbh I don't think any of those in the trials right now become one of the top 4. I don't see them becoming better than ML even if he is 34+, but maybe I am underestimating the value of a personal coach.

It appears to me that ML, FZD, ZJK were all way ahead when they were 18-20 than those guys are right now. I think the first one that gets kicked might be replaced by WANG Chuqin in some years.

but Wang chuqin didn't have much power last time I saw a highlight of him. So he is not going to be a CNT leader. It is too soon to judge who is coming up alongside with FZD.

This user has no status.
Stage 1 results of the Table Tennis Chinese Trial 2017 (Marvelous 12)
Men: ranking
1Fan Zhendong 2Ma Long 3Lin Gaoyuan 4Xu Xin
5Liang Jingkun 6Zhou Qihao 7Zhou Yu 8Yan An
9Xu Chenhao 10Liu Dingshuo 11Fang Bo 12Zhang Jike(withdrawn due to ankle injury)

Female ranking:
1Liu Shiwen 2Ding Ning 3Feng Yalan 4Mu Zi
5Zhu Yuling 6Wu Yang 7Wang Manyu 8Chen Ke
9Chen Meng 10Li Jiayi 11Yuan Xuejiao 12Gu Yuting

Drawing result of Stage 2Table Tennis Chinese Trial 2017 (Marvelous 12)
Women:
Group A_Chen Meng Vs Wu Yang
Group A_Mu Zi VS Yuan Xuejiao

Group B_Gu Yuting Vs Ding Ning
Group B_Wang Manyu Vs Chen Ke

Group C_Li JIayi vs Zhu Yuling
Group C_ Feng Yalan Vs Che Xiaoxi

Men: (Zhang Jike has withdrawn due to ankle injury Zhou Kai, rank after Shang Kun in the teamround robin competition, will substitue his spot in stage 2)
Group A_Fang Bo Vs Xu Xin
Group A_Xu Chenhao Vs Liang Jingkun
Group B_Shang Kun Vs Lin Gaoyuan
Group B_Yan An VS Zhou Qihao
Group C_Zhou Kai Vs Ma Long
Group C_Liu Dingshuo VS Zhou Yu

The leader of stage 1 will take the spot to wttc skipping stage 2. Stage 2 will be scheduled on 9, 10 March (day off for 8 March). Format of stage 2: (the remaining 11 + 1 substitute player= 12 players) are divided into 3 groups of 4 and play a round robin within the group. The top player of each group will play a round robin, the winner will take the second spot to wttc 2017.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
What bothers me is how one dimensional FZD plays. He obviously has a great touch, but if you look at Ma Long he plays way more diverse with spin variations. Fan's goal seems to outpower his opponents rather than outsmart them. we will see how his development goes, it took Ma Long 25 years to be the complete player he is right now.

This user has no status.
Stage 1 results of the Table Tennis Chinese Trial 2017 (Marvelous 12)
Men: ranking
1Fan Zhendong 2Ma Long 3Lin Gaoyuan 4Xu Xin
5Liang Jingkun 6Zhou Qihao 7Zhou Yu 8Yan An
9Xu Chenhao 10Liu Dingshuo 11Fang Bo 12Zhang Jike(withdrawn due to ankle injury)

Female ranking:
1Liu Shiwen 2Ding Ning 3Feng Yalan 4Mu Zi
5Zhu Yuling 6Wu Yang 7Wang Manyu 8Chen Ke
9Chen Meng 10Li Jiayi 11Yuan Xuejiao 12Gu Yuting

Drawing result of Stage 2Table Tennis Chinese Trial 2017 (Marvelous 12)
Women:
Group A_Chen Meng Vs Wu Yang
Group A_Mu Zi VS Yuan Xuejiao

Group B_Gu Yuting Vs Ding Ning
Group B_Wang Manyu Vs Chen Ke

Group C_Li JIayi vs Zhu Yuling
Group C_ Feng Yalan Vs Che Xiaoxi

Men: (Zhang Jike has withdrawn due to ankle injury Zhou Kai, rank after Shang Kun in the teamround robin competition, will substitue his spot in stage 2)
Group A_Fang Bo Vs Xu Xin
Group A_Xu Chenhao Vs Liang Jingkun
Group B_Shang Kun Vs Lin Gaoyuan
Group B_Yan An VS Zhou Qihao
Group C_Zhou Kai Vs Ma Long
Group C_Liu Dingshuo VS Zhou Yu

The leader of stage 1 will take the spot to wttc skipping stage 2. Stage 2 will be scheduled on 9, 10 March (day off for 8 March). Format of stage 2: (the remaining 11 + 1 substitute player= 12 players) are divided into 3 groups of 4 and play a round robin within the group. The top player of each group will play a round robin, the winner will take the second spot to wttc 2017.

The ITTF have confirmed that ZJK will be playing stage 2, unless there has been a further update?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
The groups are propably not put randomly, looks like Liu wants to test Fang Bo: first against XX who he has beaten in Qatar but looked strong in stage 1 and then probably LJK who is his direct opponent for the (probably last) spot. I think he wants to give him a chance, "show me how much you want it"

So far ZJK does not appear in the schedule

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
So ZJK is out according to this video BY ittf

https://www.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/videos/1680892081940788/

Smart thing to do , he should have taken a break in 2015 instead . The chinese really push their players beyond their limits when there is no need to. Franziska ovtcharov and Han ying aborted playing because of injurues in the german champs to recover yet you see so many chinese occasions like ZJK, guo yue in the past, yan an getting trained to death

Its totally understandable that ZJK is a money making machine for chinese tt & sponsor companies but if he cannot play he has no worth. Pity they had to destroy his physical condition to actually understand that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
What bothers me is how one dimensional FZD plays. He obviously has a great touch, but if you look at Ma Long he plays way more diverse with spin variations. Fan's goal seems to outpower his opponents rather than outsmart them. we will see how his development goes, it took Ma Long 25 years to be the complete player he is right now.

I find some of what FZD does incredible, but generally he's all-or-nothing and doesn't mind spraying the ball around while trying to crush incoming balls from close-in. Technically a very demanding approach, but not great for rallies or spectacle for the viewers. My worry is that he will never have to learn anything else other than this - the plastic ball allows this kind of one-dimensional approach IMO. Perhaps as he gets a bit older and has to slow down a bit, he'll be forced to do something different, but I'm not so sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
According to the website: https://marvellous12.sports.qq.com/mans2.php

It seems "groups" are not really groups but 3 different draws (you can see it on the right side). If that's the format, we have 6 semifinals, then 3 finals and then a group of 3 players (the 3 champions playing against each other?)

Will they play to the best of 7 this time?