Chinese Trials for WTTC 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I just started watching and it's already over...
That was less than 25 mins lol. ML was great as always with the service/receive game as well as his location and pace variations, but today he performed well above his usual in longer rallies and when he can do that at his age he's simply unstoppable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I thought that Ma Long was in complete control in the final, with no signs of aging. More energy, covering the corners well, stepping around and above all counter-hitting superbly on the BH, his weaker side! Fan Zhendong's form was disappointing.

The Women's final seemed to be less dynamic, but Sun Yingsha has perhaps gained a bit of extra arm power to complement her superb technique and movement. Does anyone know what happened to Wang Manyu and Chen Meng? Did they get beaten in the semis? I don't see the top Chinese women as being absolutely outstanding, but, unlike in the Men's, there don't seem to be any big challenges emerging from the rest of the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
These matches don't have stakes except for the up and coming players. The up and coming players have to win the whole event to get selected. The regulars inevitably qualify by ranking unless the upcomers take a spot. It would have been more interesting if say Xu Yingbin, Xiang Peng, Xu Fei or Lin Shidong had been in the mix. Then they would have been playing for a WTTC spot and the incumbents would be playing to deny them.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I thought that Ma Long was in complete control in the final, with no signs of aging. More energy, covering the corners well, stepping around and above all counter-hitting superbly on the BH, his weaker side! Fan Zhendong's form was disappointing.

The Women's final seemed to be less dynamic, but Sun Yingsha has perhaps gained a bit of extra arm power to complement her superb technique and movement. Does anyone know what happened to Wang Manyu and Chen Meng? Did they get beaten in the semis? I don't see the top Chinese women as being absolutely outstanding, but, unlike in the Men's, there don't seem to be any big challenges emerging from the rest of the world.
I think the gap between the women is currently too large as the challengers have one massive demerit or another and there is a large group of at least 4 Chinese women each battling for supremacy. Chen Meng is probably already well past her shelf life to be honest and will do a lot to stay relevant but I think Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu and Wang Yidi have it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think the gap between the women is currently too large as the challengers have one massive demerit or another and there is a large group of at least 4 Chinese women each battling for supremacy. Chen Meng is probably already well past her shelf life to be honest and will do a lot to stay relevant but I think Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu and Wang Yidi have it.
Wang Yidi had a terrible trials, at this rate Chen Xingtong will take her place.

Chen Meng had a foot injury, Wang Manyu had fevers, presumably COVID. Sun Yingsha seems to have improved her BH as well, had quite a few powerful shots to end points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wang Yidi had a terrible trials, at this rate Chen Xingtong will take her place.

Chen Meng had a foot injury, Wang Manyu had fevers, presumably COVID. Sun Yingsha seems to have improved her BH as well, had quite a few powerful shots to end points.
Wang Yidi is national and Asian Cup Champion. The default 5 are Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Wang Yidi and Chen Xingtong. There are no stakes for those 5 players.