Complete video guide: How to cut and glue rubbers on a table tennis bat

This user has no status.
If anyone here did not know, the hand made blades that Charlie from Blades by Charlie makes are pretty freaking amazing.

Years ago, I got to try out three blades that he made for a friend named Rocky. I am pretty sure Charlie will know who I mean with just that name. They were, all three, not just amazing, but three of the 4 best blades I have ever felt. Rocky also had the 4th best blade I ever felt which was a Stiga Clipper from 1990. :)

For someone cutting in their home, even just not needing a surface for cutting can, for some, make things easier. Again, it is a choice. Either method works. In the long run you get to the same place where the cut looks professional and perfect....for me close enough is good enough....the question is, what tools would you prefer for cutting. And each person can make that choice him/herself.

I put the post I did in because, if the word "Complete" is in the title of the thread and only cutting with a blade is mentioned, adding information about scissors could make the information in the thread more complete. :)
Hah! Thanks for the useful info! Looks like I should now do a Super Complete Guide 😄

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hah! Thanks for the useful info! Looks like I should now do a Super Complete Guide 😄

Your video is good for people wanting to cut with a blade. That rotating table for cutting that way looks really nice, especially with the recess for the handle.

But if it is only about cutting with a blade, it is hard to say it complete while not mentioning anything about scissors. Still, my guess is, a majority of people on TTD would be more interested in trying to get the perfect cut with a blade than trying to get good technique to cut well with scissors. :)

So, I just wanted to add information because that is who I am.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I received my rotatory cutting board and I’m a bit disappointed ☹️
In the middle there is pin around which the upper part rotates and it sticks out and is irregular that I’m afraid to put new rubber on it to not be scratched or damaged somehow. But frankly speaking what to expect from something for ~20$ 🤦‍♂️
Probably I’ll have to sand it down a bit… ehh
IMG_4850.jpeg
IMG_4851.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I received my rotatory cutting board and I’m a bit disappointed ☹️
In the middle there is pin around which the upper part rotates and it sticks out and is irregular that I’m afraid to put new rubber on it to not be scratched or damaged somehow. But frankly speaking what to expect from something for ~20$ 🤦‍♂️
Probably I’ll have to sand it down a bit… ehh
View attachment 28368View attachment 28369
Oh dear - you did better than me however, mine arrived and it wasn't a rotary cutting board at all but a standard green cutting mat. The store has them both listed as Sanwei rotary cutting table but with two different pictures and apparently I chose the wrong one! Have re-ordered but not sure it was a great idea now seeing yours!

• Wow
Reactions: disaster3
This user has no status.
Haha yeah, I recently cut a Xiom Vega Korea with a box cutter and the result was HORRIBLE. Oil might have helped... The effect is only cosmetic, though. Looks ugly, doesn't affect the playing properties. And I alway use 12mm edge tape 😅

Do let me know when you have tried out the scissors. Might be a way to achieve reasonably good results with less "effort" than with a cutter.
I've finally done a setup with scissors. First time in a long while so I had to start slowly. I've noticed two things that mean I'll pretty much only use scissors for certain occassions.

1. For rubbers with the thin plastic covers on (Typically, Chinese ones), I haven't gotten a perfect cut round the edges. Example here.
2. My fingers don't enjoy the pressure from gripping the scissors while cutting :)

I'd certainly consider scissors if I'm out and about and if I want to cut rubbers to have a 1-2mm overhang (Which is hard to do properly with a cutting blade). Others may be quicker than me but I'm quite particular about my end product so I'm happy to take extra time if I need it.

Attachments

• Sanwei-TR3.jpg
    Sanwei-TR3.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Bruschk0v
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
When I use scissors I've noticed you shouldn't push forward while cutting. Pull a little while closing the blades, so there is no forward force, only the vertical force of the two blades cutting.
Thin rubbers are horrible to cut with scissors. I cut Xiom Vega Pro and the edge wasn't nice at all. Same with AK-47 blue sponge rubbers.

Reactions: The_TT_Bat_Guy
This user has no status.
can anyone recommend good scissors for cutting rubbers?
Using the scalpel I can't leave above 1-2 mm beyond the edge of the blade, and the ones I already have are really awkward to maneuver while cutting and there are such barbs.
View attachment 28965View attachment 28966
Reckon any with a curved blade would work nicely. I got the Revolution No.3 scissors and I recall that Donic also produces curved edge scissors

Reactions: disaster3