Copy Services

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Hey guys :)

you all know, that we can learn a lot from the stars. the youtube videos show us a lot of slow motions and detailed movements from the stars. so.. what i would like to know, if some of you tried to copy a service. or if someone know, which service is really good.

i tried to copy ma longs, zhang jikes and ovtcharows service. dont know how to call the services, but their standart services :D

so ma longs service is really good, if you can do it short, that the ball can bounce twice on the table. and if you can hide the bat a bit behind your body, there is a good spin variation possible and the opponent cant really see, which spin you use. but the service went 90% to long, so that my opponent could attack all time.

so i tried ovtcharows backhand service. its really hard to hit the ball the edge of the bat to get the most possible spin at this serve. but the movement is very fast, so that the opponent cant really see, if you are doing sidespin or topspin/overspin. and if you serve into the forhand side, there is a high possibility, that the return will be very high, so that a topspin is possible. but if the opponent is able to return the ball very short, you got the problem, that you have to handle all the rotation and its very difficult :D

so i tried the last option. zhang jikes serve. and by god, its the best service, i´ve ever tried. and it works so ****ing well :D you can put so much variations on that serve. side, under, topsin ... more or less ... short or long .. backhand or forehand. when i tried this service in my first training session, all my opponents often failed. even the players, which play one league higher than me (4th league) had big problems and failed 3/8 serives directly and the other five returns were so high or long, that i could easily do a point with my topspin. i use this serve for two or three weeks now and i really like it. everyone says "god ..this damn serve" .. its really funny. i only have the problem, that the services went long, when i do much spin on it, but i try to fix it soon :)

This user has no status.
Yeah, ZJK's serve are really good, especially the inside-out serve. I find it pretty hard to learn because it is a pretty strange motion for the beginning. It took me one month to figure it out and then the hype began^^ Everyone in the youth section and also some of my coaches tried to learn this serve, but I can tell that it is pretty effective in lower leagues and often leads to a direct point :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Werner Schlager is worth looking at. Mechanically, his serves are very fundamental and they are great serves. He won a World Championship largely because of how good his serves are. In the end though, as you learn and develop your serves, I think you want to make them your own rather than copying what someone else does. At a certain point I think serves are about feeling the ball and touch.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Werner Schlager is worth looking at. Mechanically, his serves are very fundamental and they are great serves. He won a World Championship largely because of how good his serves are. In the end though, as you learn and develop your serves, I think you want to make them your own rather than copying what someone else does. At a certain point I think serves are about feeling the ball and touch.

Indeed Sir Carl. Schlager always inspired my serves but that doesn't make me copy his serves.
His serves back then could make even a pro bear fear, esp. in decisive points. Genius.
IMO copying won't always work because everyone is different and TT is a very fundamental sport where even height could affect one's game very much.

Btw where have you been Sir Carl, haven't seen you for quite some time I guess :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I tried to copy Ovtcharov's tomahawk serve. Figured out I didn't quite have the touch to do it like he does so I modified it to better suit me. It quickly became my best serve. He usually gives me crap about it when I see him.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I like that, ITTF pros talking smack. That is an aspect of the sport that ought to be in any sport, but not go overboard. I do not see both opposing players to hold a public press conference, a weight in bare chested, then a stare-down and further smack talk, yet it would be fun to see some of these elements in our sport for the lulz.

I agree with everyone in that trying to copy someone's serves in most cases does not work for the player. However, there is certainly a LOT of value in studying players' best serves to find elements to apply to your own serves to improve them. Developing touch and control is such a tricky thing to do that requires a LOT of practice, which many of us never do enough of to get the needed results.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Hey guys :)

you all know, that we can learn a lot from the stars. the youtube videos show us a lot of slow motions and detailed movements from the stars. so.. what i would like to know, if some of you tried to copy a service. or if someone know, which service is really good.

i tried to copy ma longs, zhang jikes and ovtcharows service. dont know how to call the services, but their standart services :D

so ma longs service is really good, if you can do it short, that the ball can bounce twice on the table. and if you can hide the bat a bit behind your body, there is a good spin variation possible and the opponent cant really see, which spin you use. but the service went 90% to long, so that my opponent could attack all time.

so i tried ovtcharows backhand service. its really hard to hit the ball the edge of the bat to get the most possible spin at this serve. but the movement is very fast, so that the opponent cant really see, if you are doing sidespin or topspin/overspin. and if you serve into the forhand side, there is a high possibility, that the return will be very high, so that a topspin is possible. but if the opponent is able to return the ball very short, you got the problem, that you have to handle all the rotation and its very difficult :D

so i tried the last option. zhang jikes serve. and by god, its the best service, i´ve ever tried. and it works so ****ing well :D you can put so much variations on that serve. side, under, topsin ... more or less ... short or long .. backhand or forehand. when i tried this service in my first training session, all my opponents often failed. even the players, which play one league higher than me (4th league) had big problems and failed 3/8 serives directly and the other five returns were so high or long, that i could easily do a point with my topspin. i use this serve for two or three weeks now and i really like it. everyone says "god ..this damn serve" .. its really funny. i only have the problem, that the services went long, when i do much spin on it, but i try to fix it soon :)

I've also wondered this.. But I've tried to look at players all the times that has good services. The players that has the best serves in my opinion is:

- Alan Bentsen
- Ma Long
- Jan Ove Waldner
- Michael Maze

I have tried to copy them, but found out that I can make them much more effective in my game with a few modifications. For example I have mixed some motion together, Allan Bentsens motion on Ma Longs reversed sidespin/backspin service. Before it was difficult for me making them bounce 2 times, but now its easy. I now try make the service bounce 3 times when practising, but it's not as easy as the two-bounce because of the spin involved. All you have to do is practise ;)

I have also mixed the Waldner sidespin motion with a no-spin service, and it fits great!

Everything in table tennis is individual, but it is not bad to look at others and get inspired. Have that in mind everybody! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I've also wondered this.. But I've tried to look at players all the times that has good services. The players that has the best serves in my opinion is:

- Alan Bentsen
- Ma Long
- Jan Ove Waldner
- Michael Maze

I have tried to copy them, but found out that I can make them much more effective in my game with a few modifications. For example I have mixed some motion together, Allan Bentsens motion on Ma Longs reversed sidespin/backspin service. Before it was difficult for me making them bounce 2 times, but now its easy. I now try make the service bounce 3 times when practising, but it's not as easy as the two-bounce because of the spin involved. All you have to do is practise ;)

I have also mixed the Waldner sidespin motion with a no-spin service, and it fits great!

Everything in table tennis is individual, but it is not bad to look at others and get inspired. Have that in mind everybody! :)

i think the best is, to have two really good serves and not ten ordinary serves. that was my problem before. now i start to train just two serves, but with spin variations :)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
i think the best is, to have two really good serves and not ten ordinary serves. that was my problem before. now i start to train just two serves, but with spin variations :)

Exactly. That is what i am thinkin' too :)

Using mainly my reversed sidespin/backspin service and the no spin that looks like side spin. To surprise my opponents I sometimes throw in a fast topspin service, but it is smart to stick mainly with two really good services.