Custom Blade For Someone Returning To Sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2024
Hi friends,

I’ve recently started playing table tennis again after a very long break (~15 years haha). I play once or twice a week, so pretty casual player. I’ve bought a stiga bullet pre-made blade, and while its not bad I do remember when I used to play back in the day with custom made blades they were a lot faster and had more spin (I like to play offensively). What combo would you recommend for ~$80? I tried looking myself but the choices and combos are more then overwhelming :)

For context: I live in the US so I’d have to be able to ship it here and ideally would be from one of the retailers that glue the racket for you! Oh and I have shakehand grip.

THanks!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Petr Korbel with both side Rozena.

Petr Korbel + 2 Rozena = $80.00?? Korbel is about $60, and Rozena is about $34 each. My addition says that comes to somewhere between $125.00-$130.00 depending on the price he finds for the blade and rubbers.

It would be a nice setup. But not for someone wanting to spend approximately $80.00 total.

Novarac23: Most places ship to USA. So don't worry about that part.

If you look for blades and rubbers made in China, you can find stuff that is pretty decent but not expensive. Definitely better than the Stiga Bullet you are using now.

Sanwei Fextra 7 is a blade to look at. It is a decent speed and a lot of people really like it. And it is pretty inexpensive. There are other blades that are as good for the same price. Maybe some of the real TT Equipment Junkies on TTD can come in and make some recommendations.

As an example of a Chinese rubber that might be okay for you: Friendship 729 Focus III Snipe is pretty inexpensive. 2 sheets cost less than 1 sheet of Rozena. It is a Chinese rubber that plays a little like a Euro/Japanese rubber rather than a traditional Chinese rubber (hard sponge tacky topsheet is traditional Chinese rubber). Focus III Snipe is soft sponge, grippy non-tacky topsheet.

But you also might like tacky rubbers which, a lot of people like these days because they work well with the 40+ Poly ball.

Anyway, hopefully some of the people who know more about equipment that is very good but very inexpensive come on here to help you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
some adviced blades are
Neottec Voodoo Classic $ 30
Yasaka Sweden Extra 40
Tibhar Lebesson 40
Donic Persson Powerplay 40
Donic Persson Seven 40
Donic Appelgren allplay 35
Sanwei Echo or Parla or Fextra
Stiga allround 25
Yinhe Earth E3 20
Yinhe N-1 20
DHS W3010 25

rubbers
xiom vega europe
xiom vega intro
Yinhe Moon 12
yinhe big dipper 38*
Yinhe Mercury

shops:
tabletennis11.com
www.dandoy-sports.com
www.aliexpress.com (you have to glue it yourself...)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Looking for peasants' set-up? Carl's your man.

Alternatively if you are looking for something that have the je ne sais quoi: look for Gozo, Helping the EJ community since 2021.

If you did read, he did list an approximate number for his budget:

What combo would you recommend for ~$80?

I read the "~" to mean "approximately". But maybe he can clarify. But the number he did list was $80. And $130 is not approximately $80.

So....I am just actually reading what he wrote and trying to help him. The setup you mentioned would be pretty nice. If he wants to spend more money, the setup you mentioned would be a fine option. But he can get something that performs just about as well for less than half the price if he wants.

The person on the forum who may know the most about the best inexpensive options is @TensorBackhand .

So, maybe TensorBH can jump in with some advice.

Reactions: AdamTT
Hi friends,

I’ve recently started playing table tennis again after a very long break (~15 years haha). I play once or twice a week, so pretty casual player. I’ve bought a stiga bullet pre-made blade, and while its not bad I do remember when I used to play back in the day with custom made blades they were a lot faster and had more spin (I like to play offensively). What combo would you recommend for ~$80? I tried looking myself but the choices and combos are more then overwhelming :)

For context: I live in the US so I’d have to be able to ship it here and ideally would be from one of the retailers that glue the racket for you! Oh and I have shakehand grip.

THanks!
If you are willing to spend a bit more You can get a real good equipment. My advice is buy a good blade and som cheaper rubbers because you will change them anyway and you won’t notice much difference in the beginning.

I’d say 50-100 buck on the blade and 2*20 bucks on the first rubbers. This will give you a long term blade and some good Chinese starter rubbers.

Cheers
L-zr

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I ended up purchasing a blade from coals tt (premade buster combo). We’ll see how it shakes out, but it looks like he has good reputation. It will likely be better then what I have :) Thank you for all suggestions!
I hope you like it. I have been buying from Cole for more than a decade, he's a cool dude with great customer service and has always prioritized affordable gear, even if his website is a little old fashioned.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl