Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I would say , tape your fingers and keep playing ...
Take care to not sand too much, always is better sanding and playing to see if it is fine, because if you sand more than the necessary is no way out to recovery that blade but if you don't sand the sufficient you can sand more.

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeffM
says what [IMG]
@UpSideDownCarl

Well, it kind of was a rhetorical question. This is a chit chat thread: you guys don't always need to be in serious coach mode.

I really do appreciate the want to help us when we're in need, though. It's some work to analyze video footage and provide detailed insight. I really am grateful that I have a place I can do that, for free even.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl

Well, it kind of was a rhetorical question. This is a chit chat thread: you guys don't always need to be in serious coach mode.

I really do appreciate the want to help us when we're in need, though. It's some work to analyze video footage and provide detailed insight. I really am grateful that I have a place I can do that, for free even.

Get a girlfriend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hahaha. That is sound advice, but I didn't mean that kind of need. :rolleyes:

Usually, when you want to just get sympathy, you speak to your girlfriend. When you want problems solved, you talk to your guys. But seriously, there is something insincere about some of your table tennis chit chat - that is how it comes across. When most of us are just having a bad day, we don't speak about our technique.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
Usually, when you want to just get sympathy, you speak to your girlfriend. When you want problems solved, you talk to your guys. But seriously, there is something insincere about some of your table tennis chit chat - that is how it comes across. When most of us are just having a bad day, we don't speak about our technique.
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. What exactly is not okay about my writing? That I don't write like "most of us"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
@the backhand punch video

I like to step forward with my right foot to do this shot (like in the opening point of the video), it's actually one of my better ones. I find women usually have this stroke down pretty solid.

@ arch playing poorly
When your chitchat is asking a question without us having insight to what could be wrong among the thousands of possibilities, it's tough to talk about it. And it really gets us nowhere since we would probably give advice that wasn't the issue at hand. It's like me asking, "Why aren't my serves spinny enough?" there could be a thousand answers about going through the ball quickly, whip mechanics etc. So now I start focusing on going through the ball quicker, but oh crap! Now all the balls are going long! So people tell me to maybe make contact when the ball is lower, aim for a different part of the table or whatever. Nobody realized the reason my balls actually didn't have enough spin on them was because I was playing with a paddle that didn't have rubber on it.

says what [IMG]
Ah, I think I understand now. The question comes off as insincere because I haven't provided anything that someone could realistically answer it with, right?

That's my mistake: I was just chit chatting. I think if I just keep playing and listening to better players and observing, I will eventually not have silly problems like this. It's not something I need to "solve": I'm getting better all the time even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

NL, I'd be happy to get looped off the table. It'd be a good learning experience, even if it'd be a beatdown. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. What exactly is not okay about my writing? That I don't write like "most of us"?

Here is my problem. I see how these guys let you save face and act like you were just "chitchatting". Part of me is okay with you saving face but I think you saying this is a rhetorical question is a dishonest answer. And you have already explained, in the past, more than once, what is wrong with how you write things.

One time, didn't you say, something like: "I exaggerate things to illicit a response!"

So, here, let me break this down. You said:

Today my forehand shots were consistently going off the end. Smashes and loops alike.

I think it was just a bad day, but it feels like I needed to close the angle more than normal. My opponents haven't suddenly increased their spin, so what gives?

If this was really just you saying how you played today it probably would have just been this:

"Today my forehand shots were consistently going off the end. Smashes and loops alike. I think it was just a bad day."

Or, more concise:

"Today I just had a bad day on the table."

The stuff I edited out is just an attempt at baiting people into a response. You actually haven't said anything that is worthy of a response. But then your inner drama queen decides that you want attention even though you don't really have anything to say.

So, the question, and the statements that set up your question, are simply disingenuous. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here is my problem. I see how these guys let you save face and act like you were just "chitchatting". Part of me is okay with you saving face but I think you saying this is a rhetorical question is a dishonest answer. And you have already explained, in the past, more than once, what is wrong with how you write things.

One time, didn't you say, something like: "I exaggerate things to illicit a response!"

So, here, let me break this down. You said:

If this was really just you saying how you played today it probably would have just been this:

"Today my forehand shots were consistently going off the end. Smashes and loops alike. I think it was just a bad day."

Or, more concise:

"Today I just had a bad day on the table."

The stuff I edited out is just an attempt at baiting people into a response. You actually haven't said anything that is worthy of a response. But then your inner drama queen decides that you want attention even though you don't really have anything to say.

So, the question, and the statements that set up your question, are simply disingenuous. :)

We're not letting him "save face", we are just accepting that he is fundamentally dishonest and never going to change. At least, I am speaking for myself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Arch, I think a problem is that you're smart, and manipulative. The kind of chit chat you were fishing for was more of a "how do I get out of a funk" chit chat. You didn't want to ask this though. The biggest problem is that over the internet, you can't really see/judge how smart the people you're talking to actually are. I didn't notice at first what your goal was but NL saw right through it. You actually just wanted to talk about the problem and not get a real solution. Fishing for comfort opposed to just coming out with what you really wanted.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We're not letting him "save face", we are just accepting that he is fundamentally dishonest and never going to change. At least, I am speaking for myself.

Okay. As long as it is out there that he is fundamentally dishonest. And that it wasn't just him simply writing that he had a bad day and that the question was simply rhetorical.

I accept ttmonster's mature attitude and the idea that he can ignore Archo when Archo is playing the role of attention seeking whore.

But when Archo faux innocently asks:

What exactly is not okay about my writing?

I think it is worth putting it out there that he is what he is: dishonest.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
@JeffM

I feel your pain :(. I had painful fingers, shoulder and elbow when I start playing seriously. They all come and go so I hope yours will heal very soon as well. The thing is I always found myself going one level up after the pain is gone! So just stay positive for a better tomorrow :rolleyes:.

I once used some finger protector to ease the pain when I want to keep playing. That helps but in the long run I learn to sand the shoulder deeper till a point I feel total smoothness and the pain is forever gone. And a softer grip with varying pressure point also helps.
finger protector.jpgCarbonado shoulder.jpg

I see you sand yours deep but reasonable as long as you find it fits. I have once mimic Wang Hao and sand the shoulder to an extreme L shape. That helps a lot with the index finger as there is barely any contact but not overdoing it is always a good advise. :eek:
HH1 shoulder.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Thanks for the feedback guys. So today I went to the uni club and had a hit, as it started running again after exams have finished.

I was quite worried that it may not end well for my finger, so I put 1-2 layer of coban bandage (non-adhesive to skin) around the joint, and just start playing slowly. After 30 min or so of hitting, it still felt fine, apart from the loss of touch and too many service errors from not playing for 3+ weeks.

Then I played a set of singles, and then played 3 matches of doubles, and no pain was experienced in that playing period of time.

It is looking good at the moment, but I will continue to monitor it as it may be worse tonight after I rest it.

says what [IMG]
@UpSideDownCarl

I suppose your analysis is quite a good one. It makes good sense now when I think about it. If this kind of writing bothers you, I'll try to lessen it.

However I must say that NL was very smart indeed and got some value out of what I said: he talked about closing the angle, and what bad it might do. I did not think about whether closing the angle extremely is the correct response or not to balls going off the table, but his comment gave something new to consider.

If my question really was "How do I deal with balls suddenly flying off the end even when I don't know why?" then he gave me something to consider. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried to close the angle, but looked at how I'm brushing the ball, or how I'm rotating into it instead. Maybe if I figured out the reason, I'd have felt I played "really well".

Now I'm not terribly sure if I really did have a bad day, because I remember the talk about playing players much above your level and not being able to read and adapt to the spin and having balls go left and right into the net and over the end, and feeling like "your shots just aren't working today" even if you're playing really well for your level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl

I suppose your analysis is quite a good one. It makes good sense now when I think about it. If this kind of writing bothers you, I'll try to lessen it.

However I must say that NL was very smart indeed and got some value out of what I said: he talked about closing the angle, and what bad it might do. I did not think about whether closing the angle extremely is the correct response or not to balls going off the table, but his comment gave something new to consider.

If my question really was "How do I deal with balls suddenly flying off the end even when I don't know why?" then he gave me something to consider. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried to close the angle, but looked at how I'm brushing the ball, or how I'm rotating into it instead. Maybe if I figured out the reason, I'd have felt I played "really well".

Now I'm not terribly sure if I really did have a bad day, because I remember the talk about playing players much above your level and not being able to read and adapt to the spin and having balls go left and right into the net and over the end, and feeling like "your shots just aren't working today" even if you're playing really well for your level.

And yet you wrote somewhere (I think your original post or a response to ttmonster) that your opponents could not have suddenly increased their spin. See the dishonesty at work? Now you are trying to say that the opponent is at a higher level...

says what [IMG]
And yet you wrote somewhere (I think your original post or a response to ttmonster) that your opponents could not have suddenly increased their spin. See the dishonesty at work? Now you are trying to say that the opponent is at a higher level...
No, I'm not. I'm 99% certain that they hadn't just increased their spin.

I used the above as an example to prove that you might think you're having a bad day, but it's really because of things you might not be aware of that would be there even if you're on fire and playing the best game of your life.

Maybe I should have made it more clear that I'm not thinking that my example is also what happened.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
@UpSideDownCarl

Archo, why are you bothering putting yourself through all of this questioning of your motivations? Why not start a new thread, title it something like "Archo's Antics and Agonies" then include some real video of you playing real games with whoever you play with, and invite response? That way your rhetorical responses would be on topic and you might get some authentic help as well.