Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
There is a lot of stuff wrong with your strokes and approach to the game vs dead balls. You may not think you played well, but for your technique, you pretty much did the best you could. You had to play shots all the time using the forehand and backhand technique you showed in the first three shots of the point at 8:48 but on most of your points you have all these wild swings that may work against some topspin players but will not get the job done in general. You need to learn to swing at the ball the same way ALL the time with only minor changes to contact point to create different results. Your backhand technique is too large and flat. Make it smaller and wristier - it lacks whip.

You need to learn to wrap the ball consistently with your strokes. Look at what this guy is doing here - start slowly doing and and build up speed - this is one way to get safer spin on your shots.

http://d5f8dr1gz94y6.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/f89a2fc064c1d4f5ab19a0b3a5798a9a.mp4

There are many backhand videos but the basic motion is to think about unsheathing a sword or throwing a frisbee. In your case, I would work with throwing a frisbee. You have a good reverse serve, so just use your reverse serve motion. What you do right now for your backhand loop, you should just retire it completely.

EDIT: In general, I think you are trying to get rid of the ball way too fast with your stroke approach in general. You need to learn to "hold the ball longer", so to speak. Sometimes, you do it, but try to do it all the time, except against heavy topspin where the approach is slightly different. Try to load the ball with spin and not to drive the ball past your opponent. OVer time, you will get better at being able to select which shot to use.

Thanks for you words NL. I will try to implement this.

Now do you think i should switch forehand rubber from H3 to a softer non tacky rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for you words NL. I will try to implement this.

Now do you think i should switch forehand rubber from H3 to a softer non tacky rubber?

From the video, yes. You are not swinging consistently with the effort that H3 demands, you are not counterlooping close to the table vs heavy spin and most of the players at your level are not serving you short so what are you gaining?

If you like hard Euro sponge, try something like MX-P or Omega V Tour. But even then, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, for your current style, things like Tibhar Genius or Andro Hexer worked even better for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
From the video, yes. You are not swinging consistently with the effort that H3 demands, you are not counterlooping close to the table vs heavy spin and most of the players at your level are not serving you short so what are you gaining?

If you like hard Euro sponge, try something like MX-P or Omega V Tour. But even then, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, for your current style, things like Tibhar Genius or Andro Hexer worked even better for you.

I just checked my black rubbers and I have a 1,9 Rakza X and a max Vega Pro...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I just checked my black rubbers and I have a 1,9 Rakza X and a max Vega Pro...

Vega Pro is a bit hard, but it is a good step down from the Chinese rubber - it was once considered the best T05 substitute in terms of arc when power looping and topsheet grip so it will get the job done, even though the newer rubbers have some different advantages. Rakza X is also good and since it is relatively hard, 1.9mm won't make a difference. I would go with the Vega Pro for now but either is good. If you want something more recent, Rakza X.

EDIT: The one thing I will say though is that you can look at Jeff M and what he does with his stroke. IF you probably accelerated your wrist more at the point of contact, you might get away with the Chinese thing. It's just that now, you are not getting the right spin contact depth - you need to deform the rubber more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Multiple choice :

1. You were too tight , could be you were not relaxed
2. You were not getting as much spin as you normally do
3. Your angle was not closed enough

3C1 + 3C2 + 3C3

2 to the power 3 -1 = 7 possibilities archo ...

Today my forehand shots were consistently going off the end. Smashes and loops alike.

I think it was just a bad day, but it feels like I needed to close the angle more than normal. My opponents haven't suddenly increased their spin, so what gives?

Reactions: NextLevel
says what [IMG]
Multiple choice :

3C1 + 3C2 + 3C3

Seems like it's a bit of all of those. Just one of those days.

It was still something seeing a high smash go right off the edge against a light ball, then get another, attempt to correct, and still have it go off the edge.

I hit some and missed some but this is unusual.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Multiple choice :

3C1 + 3C2 + 3C3

I am imagining all the possible solutions and recommendations I can give in the absence of videotape...

So I decided to imagine how Archo would play but I could not, so I decided not to write what I could have written had there been videotape...

The one thing I will say is this: closing your angle in table tennis will get you nowhere fast. I have explained why before. I will do it again: there is only some much you can close your paddle before your run the risk of missing the ball entirely. Modern loops come round the side of the ball for first contact before imparting spin so that you have more surface area to hit the ball with when it is moving at higher speeds or has heavier spin.

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

I'm not really asking for a solution: I think it's not a real issue and just a combination of many things, namely playing badly and just undeveloped touch.

However your point on closing the angle is interesting. I understand you can hit through topspin, or avoid it. How would you go about counterlooping a very heavy topspin ball, without changing the angle to an extreme degree?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

I'm not really asking for a solution: I think it's not a real issue and just a combination of many things, namely playing badly and just undeveloped touch.

However your point on closing the angle is interesting. I understand you can hit through topspin, or avoid it. How would you go about counterlooping a very heavy topspin ball, without changing the angle to an extreme degree?

Changing the contact point changes the angle. And spin avoidance makes the extremes much less extreme than they would be without it. Respinning heavy spin relies upon avoidance to a good degree - the ball will be off your paddle before you can even do anything if you take the spin on the equator.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Today my forehand shots were consistently going off the end. Smashes and loops alike.

I think it was just a bad day, but it feels like I needed to close the angle more than normal. My opponents haven't suddenly increased their spin, so what gives?

And, yet another example of classic Archo trying to fish people into idiot mode. :) Where is the video tape for this again? Why are you asking without footage? Oh yeah. Because you are Archo, and your inner retard wants to "illicit a response" to nothing.

I say the reason this was happening is that Archo needs a ZJK SZLC with Pro version Tenergy on both sides.

Hey wait, I played a match last night against this guy and he kept getting points no matter what I did. I pushed short, he flipped it or pushed short. I pushed long, he ripped it. I served short he gave me awkward shots that were hard to handle. I served long he either ripped it or gave me awkward shots that were hard to handle. My spin was really good for my level of play but it was no good. He wasn't anything special. But for his level of play he was playing okay. What was I doing wrong? Did I need more spin? Should I close my racket more?

Oh wait, you want video footage. I'll get back to you in a few months. But, in the mean time, theoretically, based on the information, what do you think I was doing wrong? Is it that I need a lobotomy? Or something else?

hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry Archo, I just could not resist giving this question the attention it deserved. :)

Reactions: Shuki and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would say we should come to an agreement that going forward we treat every question from Archo as a "rhetorical question" :) ... mostly for literary effect ... lets just say he is using a table tennis forum to get better at his second language :) ... no harm done I suppose if we think along those lines ... wait I have been thinking along those lines for quite some time now , and hence the rhetorical answer with high school algebra thrown in :D

And, yet another example of classic Archo trying to fish people into idiot mode. :) Where is the video tape for this again? Why are you asking without footage? Oh yeah. Because you are Archo, and your inner retard wants to "illicit a response" to nothing.

I say the reason this was happening is that Archo needs a ZJK SZLC with Pro version Tenergy on both sides.

Hey wait, I played a match last night against this guy and he kept getting points no matter what I did. I pushed short, he flipped it or pushed short. I pushed long, he ripped it. I served short he gave me awkward shots that were hard to handle. I served long he either ripped it or gave me awkward shots that were hard to handle. My spin was really good for my level of play but it was no good. He wasn't anything special. But for his level of play he was playing okay. What was I doing wrong? Did I need more spin? Should I close my racket more?

Oh wait, you want video footage. I'll get back to you in a few months. But, in the mean time, theoretically, based on the information, what do you think I was doing wrong? Is it that I need a lobotomy? Or something else?

hahahahahahahaha.

Sorry Archo, I just could not resist giving this question the attention it deserved. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
So many new posts! Apologies as I have not had the time to catch up on them, as I have been busy working on this, and would like to show my progress.

Top view:

IMG_20161203_004820.jpg

Side view:

IMG_20161203_004852.jpg

I am thinking I will try to sand the edge more vertically tomorrow so that the whole thickness will be dented, instead of leaving the bottom layer of carbon on. I think if I can do it correctly, it will alter the contact point of the blade with my finger, which may solve the problem.

Once I am done with the index finger side, I will work a bit on the thumb side even though it isn't causing me much problem, as a mean of preventing injury in future.

Also I went to see the GP again. She says without a specific memorable trauma injury, she does not think it is a 'bone bruise', and she recommends me to have a go at playing and see if it is ok again. She says my power and range of movement is normal, and it isn't producing any pain on the spot when she presses on it. I am not 100% comfortable with what she is saying, so I don't think I will be playing too soon. But what I will do now instead of playing is to make sure the sanding is done to my satisfaction, so that when I do try and see if my finger is ok, (probably 2-3 weeks from now), I have the best / most objective answer to whether I am fit to play or not again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would say , tape your fingers and keep playing ...
So many new posts! Apologies as I have not had the time to catch up on them, as I have been busy working on this, and would like to show my progress.

Top view:

View attachment 11512

Side view:

View attachment 11513

I am thinking I will try to sand the edge more vertically tomorrow so that the whole thickness will be dented, instead of leaving the bottom layer of carbon on. I think if I can do it correctly, it will alter the contact point of the blade with my finger, which may solve the problem.

Once I am done with the index finger side, I will work a bit on the thumb side even though it isn't causing me much problem, as a mean of preventing injury in future.

Also I went to see the GP again. She says without a specific memorable trauma injury, she does not think it is a 'bone bruise', and she recommends me to have a go at playing and see if it is ok again. She says my power and range of movement is normal, and it isn't producing any pain on the spot when she presses on it. I am not 100% comfortable with what she is saying, so I don't think I will be playing too soon. But what I will do now instead of playing is to make sure the sanding is done to my satisfaction, so that when I do try and see if my finger is ok, (probably 2-3 weeks from now), I have the best / most objective answer to whether I am fit to play or not again.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Top view:

View attachment 11512

Side view:

View attachment 11513

That is what you are looking for in terms of sanding. Your Dr may be right because she is seeing your finger up close and personal. But you certainly could have banged it or banged it multiple times without realizing it because you were playing.

Anyway, how you are sanding the wing so your index finger's joint will be on a flatter surface should really help. After you are done sanding to your satisfaction, if you tried hitting for 20-30 min, you would know if you can play or not. If at any point in that 30 min you feel playing is a problem, you would know to stop and wait for a few weeks.

Reactions: JeffM