Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hah. I'd been watching video of myself playing, and I tend to do this kind of circular windmill backhand, be it a flick or topspin.

I'd thought it was technically a mistake, but it worked, so I've let it stick. Now I'm watching Ma Long playing Sun Wen, and Sun Wen has this huge backhand that does a similar circular motion! Maybe it has it's uses then... :rolleyes:

Sun Wen's backhand is not huge and it is extremely standard and good technique. You either have a very vivid imagination or/and a lot to learn, take your pick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I was talking about this video

If it is fake then it is a most brilliant fake video I have ever seen!

Totally real, he can also skateboard on those nunchucks instead of on wheels and a board. If you aren't a troll I'm guessing you haven't played long. The ball doesnt stop flying midair for people to hit it. Also balls break. The force exerted by the nunchucks would break the ball. Mythbusters wasted an episode on this obvious one here.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I was talking about this video

If it is fake then it is a most brilliant fake video I have ever seen!

Bruce Lee's daughter Shannon posted this Video a while ago on FB.
Instantly i've asked the same question, and she said it's real and that she was there when they recorded that video.
I must admit, it sounds quite unlikely, but that's exactly what she wrote.
Maybe you can ask her yourself. She used to answer to comments on her FB page....

This user has no status.
bruce lee's daughter shannon posted this video a while ago on fb.
Instantly i've asked the same question, and she said it's real and that she was there when they recorded that video.
I must admit, it sounds quite unlikely, but that's exactly what she wrote.
Maybe you can ask her yourself. She used to answer to comments on her fb page....

I think Bruce LEE would lose to the Octopus though

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
its a fake it was made by a chinese ad agency ... and its not even the real bruce lee .. if you look closely when the camera comes closer you can tell that the guy is not bruce lee ... here is the interview with the ad agency , you can find the discussion if you search with "JWT Beijing" on that web page

http://www.agency.asia/issue-02/126-interviews/237-jwt-beijing.html

just tells you Shannon is using whatever she can to make money out of the bruce lee brand .. sad ... but thats the way it goes with most famous brands and their legacies ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
its a fake it was made by a chinese ad agency ... and its not even the real bruce lee .. if you look closely when the camera comes closer you can tell that the guy is not bruce lee ... here is the interview with the ad agency , you can find the discussion if you search with "JWT Beijing" on that web page

http://www.agency.asia/issue-02/126-interviews/237-jwt-beijing.html

just tells you Shannon is using whatever she can to make money out of the bruce lee brand .. sad ... but thats the way it goes with most famous brands and their legacies ...
She probably realizes that most intelligent people know it is not real and is just having fun with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

Probably both.

However I'm talking about his BH loop opener against backspin, not any of his other BH strokes. It gave me this impression of a quite large stroke that takes a somewhat circular motion. Of course, many players execute it that way, but his stood out.

It's probably unfair for me to put you on the spot like this but you just don't know what you are talking about. What pisses me off is that this is the kind of crap you like to do - not post video, say nonsense and then start acting like you know what you are talking about. Below is the Sun Wen match.

First of all, circular backhand strokes are standard good technique, the larger circles being adapted to slower balls or situations needing more whip/power. Secondly, Sun Wen is not special in this regard. Let's look at a very popular video and let me hear you say that Sun Wen's backhand is larger than this one. And this is from a very obscure player that most of us have never heard about.

Here is another "small" backhand opener from a player that many of us have never heard about (of course, I am not focusing on the beautiful counter and celebration). Feel free to post the Sun Wen video or time in the video with his larger backhand opener that you are looking at. And I can show you at least one video of Zhang Jike doing the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

Well, all you said is good and well, but what part of "stood out" and "gave me this impression" do you not understand?

It could be the camera angle, his body type, the color of his shirt, whatever, but now I really noticed that movement and just how circular it is.

Okay, wiseguy. You are back on my ignore list.

says what [IMG]
Okay, wiseguy. You are back on my ignore list.
I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to post my personal impression of someone's technique, and how I've noticed something similar in some of my own strokes. :rolleyes:

I'd much more so prefer if you actually just said "First of all, circular backhand strokes are standard good technique, the larger circles being adapted to slower balls or situations needing more whip/power. Secondly, Sun Wen is not special in this regard." without picking a fight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to post my personal impression of someone's technique, and how I've noticed something similar in some of my own strokes. :rolleyes:

I'd much more so prefer if you actually just said "First of all, circular backhand strokes are standard good technique, the larger circles being adapted to slower balls or situations needing more whip/power. Secondly, Sun Wen is not special in this regard." without picking a fight.

It's not an accident that your original post had neither video of the Sun Wen shot or your shot. Eventually, this stuff is going to catch up to you because I highly doubt that this dishonesty is a table tennis thing.

At some point you have to realize that what you call "picking a fight" is a response to your habits. But I have found that it is probably easier to just ignore you permanently so that I will pick fights no more.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

That's a good point. I actually have the video uploaded, so I could have just linked timestamps to both of them. Perhaps then I could have received feedback on what I could do better on said shot(s). If you put it like that, then my apologies.

I think in the next video I film, I will not take it so easy with my opponent, so you can actually see some backhands with a bit more quality that actually land as well. I would rather receive feedback on those than old footage where I'm not exactly looping.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My point is that a lot of TT improvement takes place at a level of detail and work that makes such advice largely superficial. Without a coach or an expert who is willing to address the specific problems you are having, and without putting in the hours at the table, it is difficult to make progress in this sport. General advice only goes so far in addressing the complexity of table tennis. And depending on how good you want to get, some general advice is more relevant than others.

This whole paragraph is gold.

I have to be honest, this forum is fun and entertainment for me. Do I learn from it? Sure. Are there other factors that contribute more to learning TT? Most definitely.

For me, this is an online community that at this point I sort of feel at home in. If people feel they learn some stuff from the forum, that is great. But, really, nothing can replace table time.

And as solace to those who feel: "but what if I am doing everything wrong and have to unlearn it?" I am going to say, don't worry too much about that. Table time is still table time. Brain processing, reading spin, tracking ball placement. Seeing things better, they also happen during table time.

I grooved some bad strokes for years. Years. The FH was a big pain in the butt to change. But now my FH is not so bad. Not perfect. But decent and the eye hand coordination that allows one to track balls with different spins and adjust as it happens, still develops when you simply get on the table.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
@NextLevel

That's a good point. I actually have the video uploaded, so I could have just linked timestamps to both of them. Perhaps then I could have received feedback on what I could do better on said shot(s). If you put it like that, then my apologies.

I think in the next video I film, I will not take it so easy with my opponent, so you can actually see some backhands with a bit more quality that actually land as well. I would rather receive feedback on those than old footage where I'm not exactly looping.

No offense, and it might just be me, but IMHO in your next vid you should try to wear sports clothes, mate!!

Wearing street clothes while playing seriously makes our beloved sport look like a recreational fun time activity, like playing cards or something e.g....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Today I played 4 matches, 3 players in total. All of which were around 2000 level +/- 50 . I beat them all three of them 3-0 and then the first I had beaten wanted a rematch and I beat him 3-2. Good day for me.

10 points please ;-)

Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS!!