Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Thank you, this is how I want it to be. For morons, so I can't miss the point.

:rolleyes:

This is somewhat the conclusion I came to and seems to be what I've been yelled at for months. Is that so or is there something more?

*sigh*

okay, just think to yourself. one in the sock, three in the pocket, or zero holding the sharpened knife. Once you understand this, you should be fine.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
*sigh*

okay, just think to yourself. one in the sock, three in the pocket, or zero holding the sharpened knife. Once you understand this, you should be fine.
That sounds like a good riddle that doesn't mean anything, to get me occupied thinking about it forever so I don't come here.

I've seen through your tricks. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
That sounds like a good riddle that doesn't mean anything, to get me occupied thinking about it forever so I don't come here.

I've seen through your tricks. :p

And there's the dishonesty. so you're not stupid. you just wanted people to feel bad for you and give yourself an excuse for not understanding. calling yourself a moron who can't figure out what people are saying and then figuring that out within a minute. seems a bit dishonest to me.

says what [IMG]
And there's the dishonesty. so you're not stupid. you just wanted people to feel bad for you and give yourself an excuse for not understanding. calling yourself a moron who can't figure out what people are saying and then figuring that out within a minute. seems a bit dishonest to me.
I understood your explanation, because of it's simplicity. That's what I asked for.

What do you want me to do then? Pretend that I'm so smart that I can understand things even when I'm not sure if I do? I'm sorry if your expectations having to do with my social intelligence don't match with mine, but there's nothing I can do about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What do you want me to do then? Pretend that I'm so smart that I can understand things even when I'm not sure if I do?

NO! I want you to stop pretending you're something that your not. Don't pretend, period. Sorry, you're on my ignore list for the rest of the day, it's christmas, a day I shouldn't be getting frustrated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl, NL, I thought about your posts for a bit, and what you are saying is clear to me on the surface level. However I seem to be too dumb to understand why it's inherently wrong.

If I understood correctly, my postings sound like something that other people have at some point written, said or thought. That begs the question whether I really understood what I'm saying or if I'm just writing it to give off some kind of image of knowing things.

Now, I'm flattered that you think that I'm capable of having my own original way of thinking about things, but I fail to see how I can express things without it sounding like someone else or perhaps even directly stating something that has been stated before.

I seem to be very intellectually challenged, so if you would re-write the post in question to make it "better" so to say, then I'd appreciate it. Make it simple, otherwise the point will probably go over my head like this one.

In the spirit of Christmas,

1. You are young, so I get it. You really don't understand the importance of experience yet.
2. You have zero credibility in table tennis, so you are never going to say anything in table tennis that will make sense without your posting video to substantiate it.
3. Give details and examples. It is very easy to present examples of activities other than table tennis that you have tried out and which were less technical.
4. Tell stories of first hand learning. It is hard to do this when you are young and lacking experience, but in that case, you are better off just not talking at all if you want to maintain any degree of credibility or respectability. Like I have said though, you have repeatedly lied when doing this in table tennis so try to regain you credibility doing it with something else and hope for the best. If you honestly posted video and took advice, using the feedback to produce higher level shots that you could be proud of, you would probably have reached a decent credibility level 3 or 4 months ago, but you want to do this purely on your own terms so good luck.

Even with my physical issues, and having played TT for only 5.5 years in the US, in the years when they used to publish the players who played the most tournament matches, I was often in the top 10 until my physical issues got worse. That means I used to play over 150 tournament matches a year easily. Those are the kinds of things that give rise to the stories I tell you. I have gone to tournaments with 1400 players who played adult players I played 4-5 years ago. You might find it crazy, but there were kids I played with as teammates in 2011 who did not get good as quickly as I did and some of them stopped playing. There was even a kid who was 1500 when I first met him (Carl knows the kid and says he has ADD) when I was 500 but really playing at 1200 strength. I managed to beat him the first time I played him when we were both 1700. The kid beats me more than I beat him but he is roughly 2100 as I am but with a higher ceiling than I currently have because he is a lefty and more mobile.

My point here is that I have a lot of experience and my perspective is unique because most people who see me, whatever my issues, assume that I started playing seriously when I was much younger. No, I was losing to 800 rated kids when I first started playing in 2011 because I just lacked the understanding of spin to deal with their shots. Even when I was rated 1700, there were serves that I could not return because I could not read them and a player 600 pts below me could beat me by utilizing those serves. Those are things you have to experience or watch in person to see them, people like you who just read stories will never know from experience what that is like until you earn it.

But you are young so I get it. But the fact you are young makes it even more important that you are not rewarded for such dishonesty as the young people who are tend to do it even more and in the worst possible way. I only pray that your dishonesty is not such that we are only making you better at learning how to do it. But I can't win it all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Way back, in some post, talking about a different poster someone posted this cartoon that was very funny and accurate.

It was something about how if someone was posing as a physicist, it would x number of minutes to figure out that they were full of it. And then it went through various other fields of expertise where the person could pose as knowing what he was talking about for longer and longer.

The last one may have been a literary critic and that one was said to be able to get away with the BS indefinitely.

Often when Archo has posted I have been reminded of that cartoon. It fits pretty well.

Even here, the dishonesty of Archo trying to pretend he had some things right when he was regurgitating phrases he heard from others with no understanding of what he was actually saying.

Plagiarizing other people's content and placing it into a paragraph out of context does not actually mean you got anything right.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Here it is again for your enjoyment. As a quick aside re:Arch - it still boggles my mind that he penned that opus at OOAK. I'd really like to understand why.

Also - for someone posting from Finland I am amazed how correct Archo's English is. I mean we are talking 'native speaker' level here...

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
For 2017, my resolution is to never make a post on any TT forum without including video, unless I am responding to a specific question from another member that is directed towards me. Even if I am just asking an open-ended question, I will still include video from my own game which should clarify why I needed to ask the question in the first place.

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

All I can say about that is that I probably need to get my shit pushed in by some 1000-tier players at a tourney to know what you really mean. My view on things would probably change a lot after my 100 first league matches.

@Takkyu_wa_inochi

I'm only getting thrown around because my skin's thick enough to take it. ;)

Now that you mention it, I should probably order a copy of Larry Hodges' book. There's a lot of supposedly good material about table tennis in written form. How useful do you think books really are for improving as a player? In my case I could just misunderstand everything and spend more time reading than actually at the table.

@pgpg

I am a native English speaker all my life, so you're right about that, but I'm not too sure about my written material. I've always been among the top of the top nationwide in terms of English language schooling here, but the level is honestly embarrassingly low.

Having read a lot of truly great works in the language, I really don't want to fool myself into thinking my use of language is really any good. I've seen better clarity of expression here than I've ever produced myself.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here it is again for your enjoyment. As a quick aside re:Arch - it still boggles my mind that he penned that opus at OOAK. I'd really like to understand why.

Also - for someone posting from Finland I am amazed how correct Archo's English is. I mean we are talking 'native speaker' level here...

cache.php

Thanks pgpg. I was hoping whoever posted it or someone who remembered the specific cartoon would be able to supply it. This is gold.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
(Carl knows the kid and says he has ADD)

Benji's an awesome kid. But sometimes his mind jumps around like a Mexican jumping bean or like one of those DHS seamed poly balls Der_Echte is so fond of. :)

I remember him when he was like 800 and we all knew he would jump in level pretty damn fast if he stuck with it because his form and technique were really darn good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
For 2017, my resolution is to never make a post on any TT forum without including video, unless I am responding to a specific question from another member that is directed towards me. Even if I am just asking an open-ended question, I will still include video from my own game which should clarify why I needed to ask the question in the first place.
That's a bit restrictive but makes sense when asking questions about improving your game. I now realize how silly it was to ask questions about technique over the internet.

This user has no status.
@NextLevel

All I can say about that is that I probably need to get my shit pushed in by some 1000-tier players at a tourney to know what you really mean. My view on things would probably change a lot after my 100 first league matches.

@Takkyu_wa_inochi

I'm only getting thrown around because my skin's thick enough to take it. ;)

Now that you mention it, I should probably order a copy of Larry Hodges' book. There's a lot of supposedly good material about table tennis in written form. How useful do you think books really are for improving as a player? In my case I could just misunderstand everything and spend more time reading than actually at the table.

i was more thinking about a kind of books with sequences of still shots explaining the details of techniques frame by frame and with different angles

i don't have any english title in mind, but i have quite a few here in Japanese.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I had to cancel my TT session today as my ankle has not recovered yet. Sad times. I probably cant play tomorrow with my friends as well even though I only see them once a year. But I have taken the time to make a review that features a collection of my best points of 2016. To be honest, I did not really believe I actually did it, as it took a considerable amount of time to go through my videos, (ever since I made the bold move of recording all my matches starting very early this year).

I have created a new thread with the video so others can post there too if they decide to make one for themselves. I did it this year because I knew it won't be some time till I will get my skills back to my optimum, as the year ahead is going to be very busy for me to finish my final year of studies, and I am still currently suffering from this ankle injury... (very frustrating). But I will re-post my video here in case my fellow TTD chit chat friends miss that thread.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!