Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I have a friend who is USATT 877 or so, but has an advanced forehand stroke - I believe I have posted video of him before. He is still struggling with the 800-1200 crowd. Initially, I used to think it was spin reading, but I realized a good part of it was that he wasn't looping with enough spin to raise his consistency. But I remember when I was like him and I felt I was looping with spin but people kept on telling me I was driving the ball, even when I felt I was trying to spin.

I think I have found a way around this conceptual dilemma. When I watched his matches, he kept looping to put the ball past his opponent and the opponent often stepped back and blocked him down. Sometimes, he would loop the ball too hard and miss. But what rarely ever happened was a loop that was slow and into the net. Or a loop that was slow enough that his opponent had to wait for it. Or that the loop was fast and dropped short. He often won the point when he produced these shots, but his default shot was based on looping the ball past the opponent, not on looping the ball on the table and seeing what the opponent did to it.

I know looping the ball deep is essential to trouble some opponents and drive them back so they don't take the ball early. That said, for players at the lower levels, I think the real issue is often that they do not know how to loop the ball short with quality. For them, looping hard, means looping the ball fast and with pace, not looping the ball onto the middle of the table. So combining a few concepts from the coaches I have worked with and myself, I will pace some emphasis on looping the ball short in my coaching and practice. MY instruction is that you can loop the ball as hard as you want to and ideally with as much spin as you want, but you need to keep it 6 to 12 inches and if possible more from the endline. Try to keep it low, try to make it fast, but keep it from the endline. If you can loop powerfully and hard with this kind of margin, your consistency will go up at the lower levels immediately and you can start looking at other placements seriously.

So how do you do this? IF you have a good loop, just work on it. It will usually require a slight adjustment to your usual contact point on the ball, but over time, with practice, you will get used to it. It pays off as you will be able to produce powerful shots under pressure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A bit similar to NL's favourite, mine is when I counter loop a heavy slow topspin ball that was generated from a backspin chop. But I think I have only successfully done it not in match situations less than 10 times in my whole life.
Probably something to look forward to in the future if I get to train more.

The bad knee posse doesn't get to do all those crazy wild shots often, so we take our highlights close to the table when we can ;).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Harsh ;)

And no I definitely do not need a yank to teach me! haha :)

:)

Hope everything is okay with your shoulder!

Thank you Yecats, it will be AFTER i go to the the physical therapist - was hoping i didn't need to but under Carl's advice, I will go.

says what [IMG]
Buying into the whole "More spin, less speed" thing that's being thrown around here has at least allowed me to vary my loop at three speeds nowadays. Placement is still pretty static, with slower balls being more short.

I play with the same players everyday, and their spin level is not usually too threatening, so I can manage it on their ball.

I couldn't do anything like this 3 or 4 months ago, so it's exciting. Just don't think I'm claiming some amazing level of control: just basic speed and arc variance against honestly pretty easy shots. I can't quite high-loop fast shots, for example. They always end up being more of a driving, faster shot. While slower and medium speed balls are easier to handle, especially backspin.

I think if someone is struggling to vary their loop, they should play some much weaker players. I think anyone here who posts regularly on this thread can do it much better than I can, if they aren't under normal pressure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Weaker players just by the nature of my club make up 50-80% of my playing time, possibly more. It does create some bad habits, but it creates an opportunity to develop good habits if you play with an emphasis on playing the right way and putting away the easy balls. It just takes less work to get the easy balls against lower rated players and the bad habit is that you can get away with a lower quality putaway shot sometimes, which means you have to focus on your recovery.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
I've been doing some drills today with my coach.

First video topspin (half table) vs block

second video random vs block

i've improved quite a bit but there is still a lot of work to do. I see my upper body is way too upright. I wish my coach reminded me so i could work more on it.

This user has no status.
good brothers, no one is crying at the end :)
its a pretty cool vid, you were really playing very well already

Haha thank you :)

Most of the time we are very sporting towards each other, but the fact that we are twins definitely means we are super competitive! It helps to keep us improving.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
9 points!!!! and i give you 0 points!! LOl at your 14 yr old self and your 21 yr old self -- both will kick this old man butt easily!

Thank you for sharing this vid Yecats!

Thought it might be interesting to post this video of my brother and I playing in a local junior final back in 2010 when we were 14. Enjoy :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Looking good Sir!

10 points please :)

i've improved quite a bit but there is still a lot of work to do. I see my upper body is way too upright. I wish my coach reminded me so i could work more on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Thought it might be interesting to post this video of my brother and I playing in a local junior final back in 2010 when we were 14. Enjoy :)

wow... Looks as if these kids grew quite well.
[EMOJI2]
Behind-the-back shot.... It has become a bad habit since I entered STIGA trick shot 2014.

Looks good when I pull it off though!

Either that or a BH flick from FH out wide to the opponents FH, like ZJK did to ML at 10-10 In the final set of the World Cup 2014 :) Not always effective, but really fun to do!

You've must have meant something like this here, right?
BTW: is this you or your brother?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
W O W

how many takes / minutes (or hours ?) to do that ??? very very very impressive

Around 20-30 mins of trying, but we managed to hit it twice in that time :)

Behind the back shots have become a bad habit of mine in matches when I'm out of position... Oopsy :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

You have already adapted your stroke plane to your stance - lowering your upper body is going to require some modifications to your stroke. I find the stroke itself interesting - very off the bounce and taking the ball early. Would like to see what blocking it would be like as most people would take the ball later but with a larger swing. Your rotaiton looks good so I suspect there is more to that ball than meets the eye. But I would truly wonder whether that is the right way to play for someone who would likely have a power advantage over most people when hitting the ball. But I guess variations help everyone.