Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
I've got 2 big tournaments this weekend; i will have the opportunity to have a private lesson on Friday but not sure i can play again tomorrow or Thursday.

Yday 2hours with our Korean TTD friend, today my usual teammates. I feel in great form, I'm not winning that many training matches actually but i feel the quality is there. I can feel how much i've improved against pimples. I used to be totally scared about playing a pimples player before, short or long. Thats not the case anymore.

Of course, some players are just too good, and i got my usual weekly losses, but i KNOW the good tactics and know when i got the good feeling, so i can reproduce it more and more often: play these guys with light spin. Always be active on the ball. a simple block would die in the net. Don't be afraid of rallies.

I feel more confident with my new serves. The shovel serve where i try to mimic Miu Hirano is now 25% of my serves. I think it suits well my game.

I hope I'll win a lot of games in the tournament, but more importantly that i can exhibit the same (or even better !) level than at training. If I do so, i'm confident i'll get better results than i have had in the past. I believe it will be the case, anyway i'll bring the camera...

says what [IMG]
Here they are. Fourth part is not edited at all: it can go **** itself. It crashed on me in the very end, being the 2nd video to **** up on me.

After my most recent HDD wipe I had to do, I lost all my utilities, so I can't even edit video properly locally. Oh well...

Yesterday and today has been a shitty table tennis day, and I can't spin the ball at all right now, but I guess I am better than in my last videos. Opponents are...quite bad.

All related thoughts welcome.

If this kind of editing makes you want to fling yourself off a cliff, or if it's the best thing you've ever seen, do tell me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Stop looping like Boogar, Archo. Do a real topspin! :p

Yes.

Archo, you are looping like a person that has spent too much time thinking about their FH loop technique. You need to step away from the table, do some shadow swings, and make the racket produce the loudest WHOOOOSH!!! sound possible. Then step up to the table and make that sound every time you swing, no matter what.

Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
Yes.

Archo, you are looping like a person that has spent too much time thinking about their FH loop technique. You need to step away from the table, do some shadow swings, and make the racket produce the loudest WHOOOOSH!!! sound possible. Then step up to the table and make that sound every time you swing, no matter what.
Yes, I agree.

Today, I just wasn't making any spin, so I was reluctant to swing faster. I used to play this kind of slow, shit game against worse people, but I noticed that they can handle spin better than speed. So I can just spin the ball up with a lot of racket head speed and they will be able to rally with me if the placement is easy.

Well, everything was broken today. I tried to swing faster and more relaxed, but it just ended up as flat hitting. Back to my old habits again.

Maybe in the next video.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I tried my best but chicken wing-itis has really got me this week!
Chicken wing topspins are usually very fast or very spinny. I am not convinced by your excuse. SchemeSC has given both you and Boogar some good advice. We need real topspins in 2017. We can't be chatting about the same old stuff as last year. This is the year where Archo becomes an TTD certified coach. Seriously, we want real topspins, even if they fly 20 feet off the table. Do multiball if necessary. But only real topspins allowed.

says what [IMG]
Chicken wing topspins are usually very fast or very spinny. I am not convinced by your excuse. SchemeSC has given both you and Boogar some good advice. We need real topspins in 2017. We can't be chatting about the same old stuff as last year. This is the year where Archo becomes an TTD certified coach. Seriously, we want real topspins, even if they fly 20 feet off the table. Do multiball if necessary. But only real topspins allowed.
Roger. From now on, 150% commitment on all shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Roger. From now on, 150% commitment on all shots.

Web instruction is difficult... no, not 150% commitment... please, that leads to tightness and frustration... What I am looking for is whippy technique being used to create fast racket head speed. In fact, if all you do is snap the forearm properly and do nothing else but that, and I seriously and literally mean NOTHING ELSE BUT THAT, I am okay. But the shadow tip that SchemeSC gave you is important. It's one of the best measures of racket head speed out there, no speedometer or timer required.

Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
Web instruction is difficult... no, not 150% commitment... please, that leads to tightness and frustration... What I am looking for is whippy technique being used to create fast racket head speed. In fact, if all you do is snap the forearm properly and do nothing else but that, and I seriously and literally mean NOTHING ELSE BUT THAT, I am okay. But the shadow tip that SchemeSC gave you is important. It's one of the best measures of racket head speed out there, no speedometer or timer required.
It was a joke, don't worry.

Actually, funny thing. Today my spin was so terrible that I did just that long after I filmed these. Just went close to the ball and snapped my forearm with whip. It was easy to time because there was not much body involved.

It wasn't a ton of spin but it was far better than what I was doing earlier. It was a kind of good reminder as to what's really important. I just couldn't do a real swing and time the snap at all today.

I think I will slowly start getting it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It was a joke, don't worry.

Actually, funny thing. Today my spin was so terrible that I did just that long after I filmed these. Just went close to the ball and snapped my forearm with whip. It was easy to time because there was not much body involved.

It wasn't a ton of spin but it was far better than what I was doing earlier. It was a kind of good reminder as to what's really important. I just couldn't do a real swing and time the snap at all today.

I think I will slowly start getting it.

If you want a reliable match topspin, you don't brush the ball, You hit the ball with the racket at an angle. Then the trick is how to improve the dwell and get heavy spin? You do it by hitting the ball on a part of the ball that is not spinning that much and the shaping the stroke with a trajectory that imparts the spin you want to put on the ball. That is modern topspin technique, That is why the forearm snap is so important, and why people who don't use it properly develop limited forehands - brushing is a limited part of the equation and is really not as important as the path of the full stroke, especially as determined by the most flexible and whippiest part (the forearm snap).