Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
Yecats,

Lefties play right handed people all the time, but right handed people don't play lefties as much.

Right handed people need to adopt a different strategy and hit into different spins against lefties, but when a leftie plays a leftie, it's basically just mirrored. I would believe there is much less of a mental adjustment to be made.

Reactions: Yecats Encerwal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for the responses guys, it seem that the general vibe suggests there is an un-avoidable advantage for lefties, but perhaps more significant at lower levels and definitely not the be all and end all to TT success :)
"Perhaps" is right - world class players do note the issue.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Like USATT 2200?
I think SlfTblt is significantly higher than that, but could be wrong.
An EJ update sponsored by the Goon squad and Nexy Karis M, the rubber with so much control that you think you can do anything.

I have always liked the feeling of the Butterfly Amultart. Yes it is a rocket launcher but the feeling of Hinoki and ZLC has always been amazing. The blade has what I think is called (I don't think I invented the term) the "Hinoki grab", a unique vibration that you get when you hit with a Hinoki blade of some sort.

I thought about playing with a Hinoki blade for a while. I have played with the Rossi Emotion which has a very thin Hinoki outer ply. I wanted to do something from Nexy but I couldn't find the right combination from what I tested and I had blades I liked already. A friend of mine bought the Amultart and around the same time, a friend told me he could get a discount in a Butterfly blade so I decided to get a Garaydia ZLC, which is an Amultart with a different handle rebranded by Butterfly. I never seriously thought I would use it but it would be nice to have, even if it was kinda expensive. I was playing well with my IF ALC and working out what Karis did or did not so.

My friend with the Amultart seems to have become a much happier player using it. His balls come through the table faster. He can launch bombs from distance. His balls dip with lower trajectories. I hate playing him nowadays ever since he switched.

With Karis M, I have this feeling of control that is pretty amazing. It's the easiest modern rubber to use and understand that I have ever played with. So for the past few days, I have been testing the Garaydia ZLC with Karis M on both sides. If I can control the rubber, the blade may not be that much of an issue.

The good news is that the blade is really fast. The bad news is that the blade is really fast. But this is where Karis M helps a lot - I think I can try to handle this. I am going to lose to good players for a while as I will be over hitting heavy spin over the table and probably in some rallies as well. But the blocks and off the table shots are ridiculously easier. When I say ridiculously easier, I can hit shots from places I would not consistently go to for fear of breaking my arthritic shoulder.

On Friday night, I played some matches with a guy who has gotten better as well as a 2300 player with the Garaydia. I lost the two matches 0-3. Then I picked up my Primorac OFF- and beat the player who had gotten better in two re-matches. Made me wonder if I was doing the right thing.

On Saturday, I hit with my very first coach, who is a chopper. My club has some internal politics and individual situations that make it hard for me to find regular training. So I was looping with the Garaydia. The thing with the Garaydia is that when I hit the right ball, the pace and power is tremendous. But right now, I do not hit the tricky ball too well. Got frustrated and tried the Primorac. Became more consistent but not as powerful. I asked the coach what he thought. He said that if I am going to put in the time, the Garaydia looks great.

Patience is a virtue, they say. I have decided to be patient.

If you got through all that, which was basically a way of talking myself into sticking with the Garaydia for at least two months, thanks. Karis M is not going anywhere though and it is my New Year resolution to use that for the year.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
Yesterday I hit with a nearly complete beginner friend of mine for a few hours. I gave him some basic drills to do and we did some basic rallying.

After a lot of stance and stroke adjustment, he managed to hit 4 forehand counterhits in a row to a pretty consistent placement. His serving and serve return is also improving a little.

He is very un-athletic, so I have to take a very different approach with him. He does really like the game, though. That's enough for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you got through all that, which was basically a way of talking myself into sticking with the Garaydia for at least two months, thanks. Karis M is not going anywhere though and it is my New Year resolution to use that for the year.

Hahahaha. In my yoga classes I use the same dumb jokes over and over. I have said them so many times that it starts being funny. Then I tell the class that my new year's resolution was to keep telling the same dumb jokes over and over. And that I bet I have stuck to my new year's resolution better than anyone they know. :)

I will be interested to hear, in a few months how things are going with you and the Garaydia. No matter what, that would be a fun beast to clown around with. But I would still just go with a Darker 7P-2A. The 7P-2A.7t is a bit too thick and a bit too fast. The slightly thinner 7P-2A is pretty sweet. All Hinoki, amazing feel, amazing grab. Hinoki is a special wood for TT.

says what [IMG]
Arch, in many of the FHs, you end up with the elbow up and the racket down, and lower than the shoulders, and the followthrough across the body. That is not really what you want.
Yes, true. I've worked hard to eliminate that, and it's been needing a complete revamp of my forehand form. Worth it.

Still, it happens once in a while maybe once or twice a session, and it feels the same as when you hit your toe on a piece of furniture, or bang your elbow onto a sharp corner and get a jolt, hahaha.

This user has no status.
@Archo

i vaguely remember some old vids and i feel you have improved quite a bit, from total beginner to amateur TT player, even if its at the lower levels... You are definitely putting some spin in your shots, and i feel you are not too tense and rather relaxed, which is good.

There is a lot to say on your technique, but there is no big secret, to improve, you have to do drills, and be 100% focused on each and every ball, i insist on that. I have the same problem, and its difficult to get rid of, so try to get the good habits when beginning, always try to lower BOTH your lower body (= bend your knees more), and your upper body (bend forward that back) and keep that stance ALL the time.

BH, close your bat angle more, try do a more compact gesture by timing it correctly. FH you are taking the ball too much behind you. Time it earlier.

Keep on working !

says what [IMG]
@Archo

i vaguely remember some old vids and i feel you have improved quite a bit, from total beginner to amateur TT player, even if its at the lower levels... You are definitely putting some spin in your shots, and i feel you are not too tense and rather relaxed, which is good.

There is a lot to say on your technique, but there is no big secret, to improve, you have to do drills, and be 100% focused on each and every ball, i insist on that. I have the same problem, and its difficult to get rid of, so try to get the good habits when beginning, always try to lower BOTH your lower body (= bend your knees more), and your upper body (bend forward that back) and keep that stance ALL the time.

BH, close your bat angle more, try do a more compact gesture by timing it correctly. FH you are taking the ball too much behind you. Time it earlier.

Keep on working !
My forearm is still a bit tense nowadays, and so is my wrist. But it's getting better indeed.

I will try to get the same opponent together to film another video as soon as possible. I think it will be a much better game.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you think left-handers gain any sort of advantage, if the majority of players in a club are right handed?

Good subject. Thanks.

It's not about forehand reliance but more about the ball and spins coming from places that you are not used to on a regular basis. If you play the TTEDGE app, you will see that you will score differently for the left and right handed modes in the app. I score slower on the left handed modes.

In my opinion, what NextLevel has said in the quoted text is the biggest issue.

I have two training partners who are lefty. I have another two friends I play games and matches with who are also lefty.

One of the guys I train with who is lefty was a tennis pro. He has been playing table tennis since the 1990s and has done a lot of lessons and training with Lily Yip and her daugher Judy Hue. He doesn't really play games and matches because he is just interested in rallying and having fun. When he does mid-distance rallying with someone 2300, the 2300 player is better than him at that but not much. Yet an 1800 level player can sometimes beat him because he just does not practice serve and receive.

Anyway, his lefty hook is awesome. I remember a point when I could not handle it. I could not see or figure out quite where the ball was in space. I should qualify that statement: squaring to it with my BH I was fine, but turning open to my FH, I was lost. It really was sort of like an alternate reality thing where I saw the ball, I thought I saw where it was in space, but I could not judge where it was in space and put my racket on it while taking an actual stroke. So I would swing where I thought the ball was and I would frequently miss. Or I would put my racket out to block and not take a stroke for fear of missing.

My brain actually could not put all the pieces together. Now a right handled BH that has some sidespin is nothing compared to a lefty hook. Back then, I could deal with the righty BH with sidespin much better than the lefty hook.

But I have played with this guy soooooo much. I remember when this thing I am talking about started to go away and I started seeing where the ball actually was. I actually remember starting to be able to see the whole trajectory of the ball off his racket: the ones that would hook more and the ones that would hook less; and being able to turn open to the hook and go FH to FH, righty hook to lefty hook, my FH from my BH corner to his FH from his FH corner. It really was a brain processing issue.

Then I remember hitting with this guy De Tran after my brain had pieced my friend's lefty hook together. De Tran is a lefty. He is 2400+. He has been over 2500 a few times. Anyway, his lefty hook is super nasty. And he was looping at me and he was totally amazed that someone my level was able to counerloop his lefty hook. So I explained that it was probably that I had a training partner whose rallying skills are pretty good who has a nice lefty hook himself.

De Tran's hook has a lot more arc and spin than my tennis friend. But my tennis training partner's shot definitely has more pace. Tennis: he can really blast the ball. :)

One of my other training partners who is "lefty" is Mark Croitoroo. With a shoulder injury to his right arm he has been teaching himself to play lefty. His serves lefty are nasty. I get to receive serves from him a lot and work on constructing points against him. I also see how he constructs his points lefty. Before Mark was forced to stop playing righty, he was about the same level as De Tran. And he has told me he always had trouble with De Tran's lefty hook. But with Mark playing lefty, he and I are close enough to the same level, even though there are things he does that are a crazy amount better than anything I could dream of doing.

Now getting to train against these two guys a lot, makes it pretty easy for me to play the other two guys I know who are lefty. Both of them beat a lot of guys who are considerably better than me on a consistent basis. But I own both of them. And they seem completely not ready for a lot of the things I do to return their serves because I have been shown how to drop that lefty pendulum topspin short to the wide FH. And I can loop the same serve around the net when it goes off the side. They are standing waiting for a the ball to come back to the BH side to take me down the line with their FH, and I am painting their FH line. :)

So, I would say it is more than likely an issue of practice and familiarity.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Brodmann_Blades.jpg

Does anybody play with this kinda table tennis bat? :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Do you think left-handers gain any sort of advantage, if the majority of players in a club are right handed?

There is one lefty at my club that I have trouble with, especially his serves. He plays them with reverse pendulum to my elbow, where the 2nd bounce would be around the white line.

So yes, leftys must have an advantage, otherwise it doesn't make sense! :mad: /closed :D

However he doesn't like playing against other lefthanders, so again this comes from not being used to playing it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Arch, in many of the FHs, you end up with the elbow up and the racket down, and lower than the shoulders, and the followthrough across the body. That is not really what you want.

That stupid mistake is following me also((( because I learned it myself without coach and now it is just difficult to get rid of it. It just occuers from time to time.

says what [IMG]
@Player87

For me, it happens because I hit the ball too much, but the real reason is because I use my arm to swing at the ball, not the hips as much as I should.

I've just done hip twists and shadow strokes and drives against block for a few months and the problem has lessened as my form got a little better.

It could be other things as well, but chances are if you learned with no coach like I did as well, you might have a problem of using too much arm anyway.