Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
The cross over was the drill we were working towards on Tuesday. I'll have to check that video out. Thanks! I think you put it perfectly on why I was having issues. I have a bad habit of leaving my left leg behind and trying to balance all my weight on my right. Going to try to do that side-step mentioned in the video for tonight's practice and see how it goes. @blahness Thank you for the explanation as well. It's definitely the intermediate step I'm missing out on!

@NextLevel We have a pretty good player that moved to the US recently, so he's been helping me out on footwork drills, since I'm incredibly weak in this area.

My volleyball shoes are almost two years old now, so they might be wearing down as well. Might look into getting something lighter. Started slipping a lot when trying to pivot and make small adjustments in moving around.

Yeah the little skip-step that is taught in the video makes all of the difference. You end up still putting your weight onto your right leg, but the small skip-step with the left foot really directs your momentum towards laterally to your right instead of planting you into the ground. The cross-over step itself is just a natural thing your legs do when that happens.

If you aren't doing it already, the step-around also benefits from a small momentum-setting step with your left foot too. Basically instead of just doing a big side step towards your BH side with two steps (R then L leg), you start it off with a small step with your left to start your momentum that way. Here's a video explaining this:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yeah the little skip-step that is taught in the video makes all of the difference. You end up still putting your weight onto your right leg, but the small skip-step with the left foot really directs your momentum towards laterally to your right instead of planting you into the ground. The cross-over step itself is just a natural thing your legs do when that happens.

If you aren't doing it already, the step-around also benefits from a small momentum-setting step with your left foot too. Basically instead of just doing a big side step towards your BH side with two steps (R then L leg), you start it off with a small step with your left to start your momentum that way. Here's a video explaining this:

Thanks for sharing the video.
I never did this before, but I am keen to see if I can incorporate this into my gameplay. It feels a bit foreign to me to use the left step first, so the key for me would be if I can achieve the same without taking up more time.
I am wondering though, to execute this in a timely fashion, that means the weigh would have to be on the right leg to start off with so you can even move the left leg for the first step?
I have to experiment this in my next session.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Thanks for sharing the video.
I never did this before, but I am keen to see if I can incorporate this into my gameplay. It feels a bit foreign to me to use the left step first, so the key for me would be if I can achieve the same without taking up more time.
I am wondering though, to execute this in a timely fashion, that means the weigh would have to be on the right leg to start off with so you can even move the left leg for the first step?
I have to experiment this in my next session.

The left step first isn't a big shift of weight. It can be done while your weight is balanced like after a recovery reset. It just starts your momentum going towards the left and helps facilitate the steparound. With all footwork stuff, you can do this anywhere. Try stepping around your dinner table. For me, the little step with my left foot made the steparound feel more natural.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
FIVE HOURS SLEEP ???!!!

That is almost a luxury for me to average 5 hrs sleep in a week. Maybe I get a day or 2 with 6-7.

I think even when my wife was gone a month in Korea I was getting under 5.

You lead the Goon Squad by example! You are still training for a future Goon Squad Mission!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Although it is only 3 days after the comp, I am missing TT already!
That recent week where I get to play 5 times in 8 days is causing me to have withdraws now...

I might use the prize money to get myself a Rakza x for my bh. Hoping it will be more helpful for me than the dignics 05, which I really liked the top sheet, but I don't feel I am able to hit through it.

Si-hing,

My suggestion for your prize money:

https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=HAO3
;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Generally, Tuesdays and Thursdays after work during Fall/Winter, I walk 30 minutes to Chinatown and play at the NYC Dept of Parks Smith Recreation Center. As Spring has sprung, started to play in Columbus Park again. However today it is very windy!!

Called Smith Center and found out they changed their TT schedule. TT is not open tonight. Will walk to the park after work and hope it is not THAT windy.

The table in the park i play at. I called it a stone table. Not readlly stone, but slate or whatever the material is. Definitely not wood. Tall metal net too, taller than regulation height.

Not the ideal conditions to train with, but just looking for exercise and get my TT fix in until my regular Dept of Parks Recreation Center reopens after renovations are completed.

"Do what you can, when you can, with what you have."

Attachments

• 20230525_185858.jpg
    20230525_185858.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230525_185902.jpg
    20230525_185902.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230525_185909.jpg
    20230525_185909.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I didn't have to open to link to know what it was lol!

Ages ago, JeffM posted his PH setup which was the XX Stiga Dynasty IIRC. If not, that is a viable alternative to the one I posted :)

FWIW, one day I will get the Hurricane Hao 3 and channel Wang Hao's RPB lol --- pic of him on the handle will help too!

LOL at me!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The table in the park i play at. I called it a stone table. Not readlly stone, but slate or whatever the material is. Definitely not wood. Tall metal net too, taller than regulation height.

Not the ideal conditions to train with, but just looking for exercise and get my TT fix in until my regular Dept of Parks Recreation Center reopens after renovations are completed.

"Do what you can, when you can, with what you have."

WOW! $5k!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
  • Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Ages ago, JeffM posted his PH setup which was the XX Stiga Dynasty IIRC. If not, that is a viable alternative to the one I posted :)

FWIW, one day I will get the Hurricane Hao 3 and channel Wang Hao's RPB lol --- pic of him on the handle will help too!

LOL at me!
That's right! I did have the XX Stiga Dynasty edition previously but I sold it to my friend. Now I have Harimoto's innerforce ZLC, maybe I just need his pic on my handle to manifest the backhand :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023

I was looking back on my notes of videos I save from my time lurking on the forums, and this video was definitely one of them haha. The person training me puts balls deep on the BH side, so I need to look through this video again and practice some shadow drilling. I think I just end up moving both feet at the same time in an arc pattern.

The side-step going to the FH side really helped me in my drills on Thursday. Worked on getting heavy backspin returns going from BH -> far FH side. Ended up overshooting the table a lot, so just have to make adjustments over time. Pretty happy with my improvement for this week.

Reactions: turbozed
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
反手制造机会·正手抢攻拿分数

Those who understand, just smile ☺️
Used Google Translate lol ... oldschool PH has similar saying, roughly translates to:

Left punch, right attack.
A wise old coach back in 2010 (named Richard Ling) once said to me: "The backhand is the shield and the Forehand is the sword."

OldSchool, that is for you. And doesn't it sound like something Bruce Lee could have said? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A wise old coach back in 2010 (named Richard Ling) once said to me: "The backhand is the shield and the Forehand is the sword."

OldSchool, that is for you. And doesn't it sound like something Bruce Lee could have said? :)

*teary eyed as I write this*

THANK YOU CARL!

RIP Dai Si-hing Richard

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Wow! Carl understand my local lingua-franca. Way to go Carl! Woo Hoo!!!

Anyway, this 反手 製造 機會• 正 手 搶攻 攞 分數 concept I knew a while back as theory. It is only very recently I am able to employ during match play regularly.

BTW, my FH is still very much flat. Actually not flat as in flat flat but more of a drive flatish kind of thingy. Don't know why but during stroking I can do loopy but in match play it all comes up duraibo'ish.

Sigh! Ces't la vie.. life goes on.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wow! Carl understand my local lingua-franca. Way to go Carl! Woo Hoo!!!

Anyway, this 反手 製造 機會• 正 手 搶攻 攞 分數 concept I knew a while back as theory. It is only very recently I am able to employ during match play regularly.

BTW, my FH is still very much flat. Actually not flat as in flat flat but more of a drive flatish kind of thingy. Don't know why but during stroking I can do loopy but in match play it all comes up duraibo'ish.

Sigh! Ces't la vie.. life goes on.
Like OldSchoolPH, I use google translate when someone posts in a language I don't speak.

I have to do it all the time for Spam that is in different languages. But without that, I would not be able to understand.