Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Formely known as gordonluvsu.
Feb 2023
What about DHS backhand rubbers? 8-80, probably need boosting.
8-80 in 37 degrees is Fine,
I recoomend 8-80 38 degrees with 2 layer haifu boost. I am not sure if it would suit your current technique or if you want to make that step.
It is not light weight but you can ask the seller for a light sheet if possible.

Otherwise the TSP Ventus Speed could fit in your list, really underrated rubber in my opinion but not easy to get.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Which backhand rubber do you think suits a 2-year adult beginner with Avalox P500 best? I like rubbers that are light weight with low throw angle and it has to be medium in hardness, as little catapult effect as possible.

Here is my top 10 list:
1. Yasaka Mark V HPS
2. Nittaku fastarc C-1
3. Donic Bluefire M2
4. Andro Rasanter R42
5. Yaska Rakza 7
6. Xiom Vega Asia
7. Gewo Nexxus el pro 43
8. Stiga Mantra M
9. Nittaku fastarc G-1
10. Xiom Vega Pro

While this isnt the ideal thread to ask this, here is my opinion: ditch the blade and get something faster. Those blades made far more sense with the plastic ball, now they will largely encourage upper arm overuse and feed lopsided table tennis strokes to less experienced players - it is hard to block deliberately with those blades and get pace . If you want all wood, find an off blade 5-ply or more likely 7-ply, the one I recommend these days is the Szocs signature one. But I would actually prefer more people use an inner carbon blade and then later decide whether to do inner or outer carbon.

For the rubber, get Fastarc C1 or G1 on both sides. It is a very good topsheet for playing a spin focused game, even with speed or power.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Today was my first amateur tournament I took part.. almost disaster but it wasn't so bad, experience mattered.
lost all 3 matches in my group but 2 out of 3 was really tight lost both 3:2.
then in lost division won the next one and the 2nd leading 2:0 lost 2:3, after the match guy shouted it was miracle. And it really was. Oponent has no skills only pushed by bh from all the table do not play fh at all, he won by experience and because I was ruining everything.
yep till the next time, I had to practice my serves as this is my Achilles heel to be more unpredictable, and be more patient because I wanted do everything to fast (almost before the ball bounce on my side) :(

• Wow
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Today was my first amateur tournament I took part.. almost disaster but it wasn't so bad, experience mattered.
lost all 3 matches in my group but 2 out of 3 was really tight lost both 3:2.
then in lost division won the next one and the 2nd leading 2:0 lost 2:3, after the match guy shouted it was miracle. And it really was. Oponent has no skills only pushed by bh from all the table do not play fh at all, he won by experience and because I was ruining everything.
yep till the next time, I had to practice my serves as this is my Achilles heel to be more unpredictable, and be more patient because I wanted do everything to fast (almost before the ball bounce on my side) :(
Did you record your matches? I find that it is very hard to be objective about why you win or lose matches without objective insight which you can connect to, which is usually a combination of coaching and video evidence. When you lose from being up 2-0, it is rarely all about you, the opponent often changed or improved something and you didn't realize it. It is very rare you just started missing (though it can happen if you think the score gives you a right to disrespect the opponent's playing level). Service is important to improve and work on, but if your opponent won only using backhand, it is unlikely to be the reason you lost.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sunday/tomorrow, the gym where we meet is closed for school use, and my coach is playing a tournament so I had to meet him on Friday at a friend's house to train a bit. Took my camera but forgot my disk so I couldn't record still. We did warmup first for strokes on both sides, and during warmup, I try to loop from multiple distances nowadays when I have a secure blocker rather than my usual staying at the table as I want to expand my range. My coach added another wrinkle, asking me to kick block as well as regular block during the warmup.

Then we did two forehand and two backhand drills and added a serve and push component. What he realized was that I wasn't been sufficiently challenged so he tried to add wrinkles with placement or ball movement that would challenge me by varying the receive. We did a lot of practice where he opened up with heavy spin and I had to block or counter, I noticed that it is really hard to counterspin without backing up. and it is also extremely hard to counterspin a high ball without using some sidespin.

Then went to the Friday playing spot because a couple of Nigerians were visiting. We should be playing a tournament at that spot later in the month and they wanted to see how it plays. Compared to my friend's house where I trained, the ball slows up significantly. I played both Nigerians to start off (my lefty Ghanian practice partner had already been there longer and played them both) and I beat them both. I then played an elderly gentleman who used antispin on the backhand and had a tricky long serve and aggressive forehand. I beat him as well, though not without some effort. Then I played a lefty who had an interesting serve that I struggled to read. He served sidespin into the short forehand and it was hard to read the side-back vs the side top and his followup forehand on popups and pushes was powerful. I managed to pull that out in the 5th but I definitely need to talk through the situation in my next coaching session. Finding a tell to read the spin will likely be critical as well. Finally played my lefty practice partner, went to the 5th but I managed to finish the day undefeated. Maybe the coaching is working subliminally lol.

Went to play this morning as well. Explained to my friend who I play with at his church that because he has good serves, his anticipation of serve return options should be more aggressive., especially when he serves topspin. Went undefeated again without losing a game - he gives himself a year and a half to get to the point I start losing matches. He said that the same thing happened to someone who came round last year, though he admits the gap I present is much larger lol.

Back to watching MLTT....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
While this isnt the ideal thread to ask this, here is my opinion: ditch the blade and get something faster. Those blades made far more sense with the plastic ball, now they will largely encourage upper arm overuse and feed lopsided table tennis strokes to less experienced players - it is hard to block deliberately with those blades and get pace . If you want all wood, find an off blade 5-ply or more likely 7-ply, the one I recommend these days is the Szocs signature one. But I would actually prefer more people use an inner carbon blade and then later decide whether to do inner or outer carbon.

For the rubber, get Fastarc C1 or G1 on both sides. It is a very good topsheet for playing a spin focused game, even with speed or power.
Thanks for the advice. I can see how the problems with blocking occurs, but not the thing about it promoting the overuse of the overarm. Would you mind explaining it a bit more? I recently changed blade from the slightly thinner, but very similar, Stiga Offensive Classic, which has even more issues with blocking. The thing I love about these types of blades are their feeling in the vibration and how they work so well with tacky chinese forehand. My game is such centered around this type of playing style that I most likely wont change the blade for a long time and go to something like the Butterfly Viscaria or Stiga Infinity VPS when it is time for me in some years. I can also say that the small change in stiffness in my latest blade upgrade has helped my backhand a lot. My level is still very low, and I am working on getting the comfort level of playing matches to where I am able to get into position and be agressive with my forehand, however, since the switch to Mark V on backhand, I am suddenly getting a lot of points from placements with backhand (and probably my opponents trying to avoid my forehand topspin after the loop-block warmup, hehe). Thats why its tempting to me that my next move is into a bit faster backhand rubber. I agree that its easier to get used to changing the blade rather than changing the rubber, though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Did you record your matches? I find that it is very hard to be objective about why you win or lose matches without objective insight which you can connect to, which is usually a combination of coaching and video evidence. When you lose from being up 2-0, it is rarely all about you, the opponent often changed or improved something and you didn't realize it. It is very rare you just started missing (though it can happen if you think the score gives you a right to disrespect the opponent's playing level). Service is important to improve and work on, but if your opponent won only using backhand, it is unlikely to be the reason you lost.
Unfortunately not. It’s hard to set the camera during tournament, too many people moving around and there was to little place for viewers. But final was recorded and published in FB so you can check the level. Side note the guy in gray (left handed) won the tournament and at the beginning we were in the same group 🙂 I lost 3:1 vs him.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I got a query abt coaching inputs that I question.

I got a buddy who does tt coaching sessions, this guy only started tt this year July. The coach told him to start with all wood, then chinese rubbers - for traning and proper form. But one of the other coaches told him (since he has a carbon blade with esn rubbers) that he does not need to buy new blade - rather just use carbon then adjust on the runbbers.

I'm torn if it is ok. He is learning tho. But is the approach correct tho?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

I got a buddy who does tt coaching sessions, this guy only started tt this year July. The coach told him to start with all wood, then chinese rubbers - for traning and proper form. But one of the other coaches told (since he has a carbon blade) that he does not need to buy new blade - rather just use carbon then adjust on the runbbers.

If your friend only started playing table tennis since July, I think using wood blade will be more beneficial for him as he is more likely to be able to hit a full stroke with wood blade and get the stroke movement right, rather than having to hold back with a carbon blade. He can also choose a wood blade that has more vibration and that will allow him to feel the ball better.

But if he wants to stick to carbon blade, that is ok as he has a coach that can guide him to make the necessary adjustments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I got a buddy who does tt coaching sessions, this guy only started tt this year July. The coach told him to start with all wood, then chinese rubbers - for traning and proper form. But one of the other coaches told (since he has a carbon blade) that he does not need to buy new blade - rather just use carbon then adjust on the runbbers.

It depends on the coach and the player to be honest and a bit on the specific blade and rubber. If the coach is teaching proper hitting and spinning technique and wants to develop the player a certain way, let the coach do that as long as the coach has a path because everyone does it differently. The blade controls the feeling of vibration in the hand as well as the rebound so the user needs to feel a measure of control. If the blade is too stiff, people just feel that the ball is bouncing off all the time regardless of what they do. This is where rubber selection can help a little. They have to feel that they can relax enough to feel vibrations that help them control the ball.

I personally would let him take a lesson with tbe faster blade - a good coach can tell when it is a complete waste of time. The one thing is your feeling is always changing and improving as you hit the ball more and more and sometimes, it can be helpful to use something slower if you don't understand how to use your fingers to time and shape your blocks. But it is also possible that someone is relaxed enough to use the faster blade and then they can use it to focus on spin and advance quicker. Blades and rubbers always have tradeoffs, they make some things easier and some things harder. And if the learner is a good learner, no experience is really wasted. You can realize later that you have good power but lack feeling and go to a relatively slower ball release setup to support that. Or you can realize tou have good feeling but less power and go to a faster ball release setup to get that. Up to 2600 level, there is always some player that uses something like what you use, even if the style is differnt.

But I would always let the chosen coach determine the path. Because a good coach is going to take responsibility for your progress and if you do something he doesn't recommend, it is harder for him to take responsibility because you eliminated a variable you think is important without his consent and it is important in coaching to work with a coach you can trust enough to listen to.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Unfortunately not. It’s hard to set the camera during tournament, too many people moving around and there was to little place for viewers. But final was recorded and published in FB so you can check the level. Side note the guy in gray (left handed) won the tournament and at the beginning we were in the same group 🙂 I lost 3:1 vs him.
That's a good level. It would be interesting to see why you think your serve was the culprit.

says preparing for a tournament
says preparing for a tournament
Sep 2023
Which backhand rubber do you think suits a 2-year adult beginner with Avalox P500 best? I like rubbers that are light weight with low throw angle and it has to be medium in hardness, as little catapult effect as possible.

Here is my top 10 list:
1. Yasaka Mark V HPS
2. Nittaku fastarc C-1
3. Donic Bluefire M2
4. Andro Rasanter R42
5. Yaska Rakza 7
6. Xiom Vega Asia
7. Gewo Nexxus el pro 43
8. Stiga Mantra M
9. Nittaku fastarc G-1
10. Xiom Vega Pro

Personally, I really like the donic bluefire m2 and its probably the next rubber i am getting on my bh..
you should ask experienced players, i am just a kid 😂

Reactions: z0uLess
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for the advice. I can see how the problems with blocking occurs, but not the thing about it promoting the overuse of the overarm. Would you mind explaining it a bit more? I recently changed blade from the slightly thinner, but very similar, Stiga Offensive Classic, which has even more issues with blocking. The thing I love about these types of blades are their feeling in the vibration and how they work so well with tacky chinese forehand. My game is such centered around this type of playing style that I most likely wont change the blade for a long time and go to something like the Butterfly Viscaria or Stiga Infinity VPS when it is time for me in some years. I can also say that the small change in stiffness in my latest blade upgrade has helped my backhand a lot. My level is still very low, and I am working on getting the comfort level of playing matches to where I am able to get into position and be agressive with my forehand, however, since the switch to Mark V on backhand, I am suddenly getting a lot of points from placements with backhand (and probably my opponents trying to avoid my forehand topspin after the loop-block warmup, hehe). Thats why its tempting to me that my next move is into a bit faster backhand rubber. I agree that its easier to get used to changing the blade rather than changing the rubber, though.

I am making assumptions around how you want to play (two-winged looping) and how you should optimally develop (trial and error with a focus on spin). To get good pace with slower equipment, people feel the need to swing harder and this can compromise technique. It can be just as efficient, probably more so, to just learn to catch the ball with faster blade and let the rebound of the blade do some of the work for you and you focus on adding spin to the ball with fast wrist and forearm action. This of course requires you to have and develop the ball contact skills that control the ball when people are hitting the ball at you with power, but there are ways to do this if someone realizes that missing the shot is feedback and not failure. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
That's a good level. It would be interesting to see why you think your serve was the culprit.
I feel that and my coach also told me that, that I need to work on it. I can serve decent by BH maybe not like as Ovtcharov but short, long, backspin, sidespin, topspin.
I can’t serve by FH almost at all. I struggle with short serves, maybe can sidespin but no underspin and topsin (I mean pendelum). In terms of reverse pendelum it is even worse. For me it’s like rocket science. I watched many videos and am struggling with technique. Don’t know from what should I start, how to stand when hit what if I miss the ball, etc. I’m sure that I need someone who masters it and to guide me first steps and on what should I pay more attention, what should I avoid etc…
I should have more weird serves and tactic. If serve this I can receive here and can play something like this. At this moment it’s like roulette, I serve and don’t know what I got and I adjust to the ball I receive w/o any tactics.
Those who watch me during the training and then in the matches told me that it is not matched each other, should do a lot higher result.
I can’t play matches 🤷‍♂️🙁

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
I feel that and my coach also told me that, that I need to work on it. I can serve decent by BH maybe not like as Ovtcharov but short, long, backspin, sidespin, topspin.
I can’t serve by FH almost at all. I struggle with short serves, maybe can sidespin but no underspin and topsin (I mean pendelum). In terms of reverse pendelum it is even worse. For me it’s like rocket science. I watched many videos and am struggling with technique. Don’t know from what should I start, how to stand when hit what if I miss the ball, etc. I’m sure that I need someone who masters it and to guide me first steps and on what should I pay more attention, what should I avoid etc…
I should have more weird serves and tactic. If serve this I can receive here and can play something like this. At this moment it’s like roulette, I serve and don’t know what I got and I adjust to the ball I receive w/o any tactics.
Those who watch me during the training and then in the matches told me that it is not matched each other, should do a lot higher result.
Why not learn other BH serves like BH tomahawk (Kong Linghui style) and BH pure underspin/no spin, etc... if you can make the preparatory movements the same it can be devastating. I think Coach Meng from WRM had quite a few tutorials on these serves.

I'm the opposite to you, my BH serve is a few levels lower than my FH serve but there's nothing I can do about it lol so I just continued using my FH serves.

Reactions: disaster3
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Trying to play ay the same level in matches that you do in training is dangerous. Unless in training your coach is trying to make you play worse, it is not like a match at all. In a match the opponent is trying to win too, all he needs to find is one thing you do not like and you cannot avoid, and if it is his service you have a long night ahead of you.

Many players play fearfully in matches, they don't realize that missing is as much about gathering information as it is about winning the point. When I serve backspin and get a push, if I miss the third ball, I need to diagnose what I did to miss and whether I needed to add more or less spin or loop more or less forward. The score and how well you are playing should not concern you so much because it never changes the goal from your perspective. You need to just focus on adapting to the opponent and deploying your weapons to frustrate the opponent. Sometimes you serve they push, you push to the side they are not standing at to challenge them and see whether they do well iif forced to move a little, it isn't always about who plays the ball better. Looking good in practice doesnt matter unless the practice ball is designed to frustrate you.

The most important service combination is backspin and no spin, it is the most fundamental and simple deception technique, and it is the one that consistently scores at every level if you have a good third ball. You can even score with just no spin if it looks like backspin as long as the opponent doesn't adjust. Service is the most creative part of the sport. Reverse pendulum is the most difficult technical service, Waldner never developed a good one, it is not worth discussing to be honest.

I could be wrong but you need to talk to someone who focuses on fighting and match strategy, not on your results. Fighting is s mentality, it has very little to do with how well you feel, you just have to accept who you are and figure out how to keep your problem solving mindset throughout the match. Letting misses upset you or the score annoy you doesn't let you focus on what you need to do to win.

All that said, the Video safe footage thread is there if you want technical advice. In the end though, if you won a game off those players you are a good player player, the real question is whether you are justified in letting the result make you feel that something is wrong with your service. Service can always be better, but the service that works against an opponent can be anything. Even my current coach is teaching me to Steve fast long with forehand and then block the return (relying on the fact that the stroke will put tha teruener out of position).

Feb 2023
I should be studying for Uni but instead I am here.

Today I had a strange training session.
One of the strangeness issues is about match game anxiety/excitement/fear of losing.
Here is the situation:
Me and my training partner were at the stage where we just serve and than play from there on.
Simple serve and play.

There I would serve and hit 90% of 3rd Ball attacks with only 30% returning.
Most of them loaded with spin from both Backhand and Forehand or straight up killer shots.
I was really feeling and could not miss.

After some time, near the end, I proposed we should play a match.
Here is where it gets strange.

The moment we start the match I feel something in my body and I knew:
"Alright, I know what this is, and this is bad!"
We start and my Loop hit rate goes from 90% to 40%.
I miss the balls I was just hitting, simple Topspin on underspin, basic backhand openups, backhand over the table.
Same spin, same placement, different me.
I go down 0-2.
Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how to recover/ get back into form.

I increase my hit rate, try to play more safe while getting points with pushes and easier loops.
Now its 2-2.
I feel a bit better but my energy is not great.
Still figuring out how to win this match while playing the way I would like to.
Not just through pushes and balls that a former me would play but a current me shouldnt play.

Final set , The score 8-10.
I say some things to myself to not feel so anxious and win the next 2 points.
10-10

After some extended overtime I somehow win the match 15-13 or something.
It felt good to beat the player, as it meant something to me.
But the way it went was not so satisfying.
I ended with around 60% hit rate when it was 90% just moments before the match.
My footwork was lagging. I often stopped "squatting".
Confidence

Short form:
Before match I am playing Fan Zhendong Backhands / Ma Long Forehands. ( maybe exagerrated)
The moment the match starts I play like a poor me from 6 months ago. ( probably also exagerrated)
All during training.

Maybe some of you can help me figure out how to overcome that.
It was of importance for me to win the match maybe that put pressure on me.
Although I am developing my mindset with inspirations from many top athletes from many different sports,
this experience today was really surprising.
No matter what: I will learn from it, take it as a lesson and keep going.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

One of the strangeness issues is about match game anxiety/excitement/fear of losing.
Here is the situation:
Me and my training partner were at the stage where we just serve and than play from there on.
Simple serve and play.

Most of them loaded with spin from both Backhand and Forehand or straight up killer shots.

I miss the balls I was just hitting, simple Topspin on underspin, basic backhand openups, backhand over the table.
I go down 0-2.

I increase my hit rate, try to play more safe while getting points with pushes and easier loops.
Now its 2-2.
Not just through pushes and balls that a former me would play but a current me shouldnt play.

10-10

Confidence

Short form:
Before match I am playing Fan Zhendong Backhands / Ma Long Forehands. ( maybe exagerrated)
The moment the match starts I play like a poor me from 6 months ago. ( probably also exagerrated)
All during training.

Although I am developing my mindset with inspirations from many top athletes from many different sports,
What you are describing is very common for many reasons. And there are many angles to look at it from. If you don't record yourself a lot, in fact, how you felt about when you were hitting Ma Long forehands and Fan Zhendong backhands is a memory, you don't know whether it actually happened or not. In fact, sometimes, I feel one way when I play a shot, when I watch the replay, I sometimes wonder what I found so amazing. Other times, I feel one way playing the shot, I watch the actual shot and go, wow, that shot was harder than I thought.

Sometimes I feel I am getting low - anyone who has watched me know that me getting low is probably me being 2 inches lower than I usually am. But it doesn't feel that way. I feel as if I am getting really low. But I watch the video and accept I am pretty much never low.

Even the stats you are citing are more about how you felt. And there were no stakes for you or your training partner. But when match starts, he is trying to make you miss, and you are now trying to score points, not just hit shots. Your body tells a different story, you feel different and you feel you play different so you probably played different. But since you are not giving your opponent credit, maybe you never even seriously looked at whether he changed anything. Maybe what you thought was the same spin was slightly different.

In any case, these are good experience to have. Because in the end, playing better can be helped by having a full picture of the match, not just focusing on your shots. The opponent has a right to frustrate you too. Table tennis is a dance as much as it is a competition. Your opponent has to give you good balls for you to make good shots.

Reactions: caMo and Richie
Feb 2023
Thank you for your insights!

Indeed, we are often very self focused.
And we overestimate ourselves.
Obviously my opponent also tried to win, but mostly through my errors and incapabilities.

The second we chose who gets to serve I felt an internal switch turn on which caused my change in play.
Once we got into the rallies and I had no time to think I was feeling it again.
There I would hit those Forehands that make me feel like Ma Long.
But before every service there was a lot going through my head.

This user has no status.

Here is the situation:
Simple serve and play.

I go down 0-2.

Now its 2-2.

10-10

Confidence

Short form:
All during training.

It's always not so easy to attack when the opponent is actively trying to disrupt you with spin/rhythm/placement variations. During training obviously your partner will give you exactly what you want (unless they're the kind of assholes I encounter on a regular basis). What helped me is trying to know exactly what spin is exactly on the ball instead of trying to feel it out. Even if your interpretation is wrong, eventually youll learn how to identify them, if you have this mindset.

The other thing is how to have a stroke that's more tolerant of error. Certain strokes and stroke paths are more tolerant of spin misreads. Especially against sidespin you need to follow the ball with your stroke somewhat (if the ball is curving to your left your stroke should also be curving left as it approaches the ball and vice versa). Obviously footwork is a big part of this equation too but you already know that.

Feeling is fleeting but with skills/knowledge you can hit good shots without feeling the best.

Reactions: OvrChkn