Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Heh, no beans to spill. I was helping to run the tournament and busy playing in the Mens Singles which was still going on while JeffM was playing in the Special A Singles. So I didn't give Jeff's name a second thought at the time. But he must have played quite well since Kye and Connor have been playing good of late.

So the closest we came to an encounter was a wave goodbye across the hall after the Special A's had finished! ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Thanks Jeff - I had a good day, although Jeff D. did make it pretty tough since he was fired up after his win against Alvin. Could have gone either way but I had some luck in the seventh which just helped me sneak home. Anyway, my table tennis these days is a bit like the quote about life - "nasty, brutish and short" - not really spectator material but it's about all I can manage these days!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
*Grabs some popcorn

AH i just love those ttdaily encounters and people who love tt talking about tt :D

I wish that there were some ttd member in switzerland!

@Monster I know the struggle against those long pendulum serves into your body. Until lately my solution was to kind of sidechop block it. Hopwever that worked only against weaker opponents. I had to find a better solution, which was either to do a banana flick or backhand loop/drive or step around with a lot of bending of the torso to the side if i got caught of guard. Also a additional step or little jump with your left leg to the left side helped me to get more room and better timing.
Hope this helps :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
This Saturday i finally got released from the military service. Fortunately i got a lift from there which shortened the driving time from three and a half to two hours.
With perfect timing i met my teammates in Burgdorf, ready to fight. Still in military clothes tho, good for intimidating the enemy.

We started warming up and my newly changed forehand rubber felt great. However after i dusted it off for the first time it seemed to lose grip that made me loose confidence in my forehand strokes and the games haven't even started yet.

In my first game i played against a better rated player. He had a very good step around forehand. I ended up playing too tense, i think the lacking confidence caused it. I lost straight in three sets, but always very close ones.
A wise man once said if you don't make excuses after losing you have already accepted defeat. So i will give some reasons now :rolleyes:

My sciatic nerve is still stuck and causes discomfort. Plus i haven't trained for four weeks.
Also their tables have a great deal more grip than the tables at my club. Well the tables at my club are just dead ...
Which lead to heaps of missed balls against different spins. In addition their nets were very soft and i counted at least 6-8 netballs:mad:

Aside from all that he played well ofc :)

I lost the second game as well against an even better rated player. This time very close in the fifth set. It was a fight of serves. I only managed to play back a handful of his serves in the hole match! He had a backhand serve and i could not tell what spin it had on it! No chance it was incredible, however in open play i won about 51% of the balls. In the fifth game i ****ed up two of my serves and lost due to that :-/ still very interesting game.

Then i played doubles with my injured partner ( he only played doubles) and we won in five games... boha that was intense we only managed to win because i had some miraculous serve returns and my partner closed the series out with two incredible blocks down the line.

I won the last match against a similar rated player who played with lots of side spin in his loops. On the other hand i think it was just a result of strange technique.

We won 6:4 but only because our old penholder won all his games with ease :) They couldn't handle his game.

I would have loved to record those but had no time to grab my equipment because of all the military stuff :-/

But don't falter, the next match will be on the 21. and i will definitely try to record those! I need to create a habit of always record official matches. This will be so helpful and hopefully also entertaining for you guys <3

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Anyone else's club full of players who request that you don't post your videos online? It's not a big deal really, I still get to see my problems and get to know if what I'm actually doing is anywhere near what I think I'm doing. But it would be nice to get other eyes just to show my improvement over the year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
John Wooden (one of the greatest basketball coaches)

I'm not going to let my lack of shortstroke loop interfere with my longstroke loop :)

Rain today - not sure if it will be all day. Club can get humid ... some players complain about the humidity and the effects on their rubbers.

Have a great day TTD CCers!

Reactions: ttmonster and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Anyone else's club full of players who request that you don't post your videos online? It's not a big deal really, I still get to see my problems and get to know if what I'm actually doing is anywhere near what I think I'm doing. But it would be nice to get other eyes just to show my improvement over the year.

You can make the videos unlisted so they are not youtube searchable and post for a specific audience. But if they are 100% against it, then just record for self as I think you do now. Many of the players I play against use the videos to improve their games and I don't out any tags for table tennis in the videos so they are not easily searchable unless you know the channel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Shuki,

I think, don't know for a fact yet, that some video editors may have a feature where you can blur out part of the video, so perhaps your video editor program may be able to blur, so you can blur out your partner's face.

I posted 2 vids of myself and after the fact, didn't remember to ask for my partner's permission to post on net :( although i received their permission to video them but neglected to mention i may post to net.

I'm new to posting vids and editing, will check my program tonight and let you know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
One guy did get me with pendulum serves ( probably same ones that OSPH uses ) right into my backhand or body . I have to find somebody to give me those serves in practice and figure out a way to play loose in the game ....

One day/night I will be hooking up with UpSideDownCarl and hopefully we will remember to video the session. One of the points mentioned to work on was my pendulum serve to Carl.

Just curious, any SHers use a pendulum serve on you ttmonster? If so, are you able to return their serve?

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Actually we have a player that's been recording lately and then studying the film, making spreadsheets for his matches with each opponent. Finding how many points he loses and wins doing different things against different opponents.

This guy has obviously been putting the time into improving so players should be upset about losing to him lately. But he has been getting bitched at for recording his matches without his opponents permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Actually we have a player that's been recording lately and then studying the film, making spreadsheets for his matches with each opponent. Finding how many points he loses and wins doing different things against different opponents.

This guy has obviously been putting the time into improving so players should be upset about losing to him lately. But he has been getting bitched at for recording his matches without his opponents permission.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Great effort by him! let the small minded people bitch... When they see how much better he gets, they will want to record themselves :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Not recently, but yes somebody did about a couple of years back. At that time , I was playing after a long layoff from table tennis , so not entirely sure if I could have done better if I was practicing regularly.

With this guy , the main problem I was having was reading the spin ; side under or side top , with pen holders I find the serving motion more deceptive than SH ...
One day/night I will be hooking up with UpSideDownCarl and hopefully we will remember to video the session. One of the points mentioned to work on was my pendulum serve to Carl.

Just curious, any SHers use a pendulum serve on you ttmonster? If so, are you able to return their serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not recently, but yes somebody did about a couple of years back. At that time , I was playing after a long layoff from table tennis , so not entirely sure if I could have done better if I was practicing regularly.

With this guy , the main problem I was having was reading the spin ; side under or side top , with pen holders I find the serving motion more deceptive than SH ...

The cues are the same. It's really more that you are looking at things other than contact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I tried to focus as much as possible at that time, I guess sometimes I was reading it too late and sometimes just not reading it. When it was late , I was having trouble in adapting my shot to the spin in time, atleast that was the feeling I had at the time. Again , all this could be related to the tightness I mentioned above. I had played a similar serve pretty well in practice a few weeks back, the only difference being the second bounce was shorter and the serves were not that long.
The cues are the same. It's really more that you are looking at things other than contact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
ttmonster,

are the sidetop/sideunder balls all going long? If so take a half step back, let some more spin die off and play a safer return until you get better feeling for it

Are the underspin short and topspin long? If so now you know which ones are under and which ones are top and reading should be easier.

Are they all short? If so get in position to forehand that thing, contacting the right side of the ball opposed to the left which your backhand normally would contact should be much easier on those serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
what works better than anything else for me, if I can't figure out a good way to return someone's serve, is watch someone else return it. If they return it well, then try to imitate that type of stroke. Don't imitate how they do the stroke, just the type is important. you don't want to go changing your form ;)

says what [IMG]
I was gone for some time, technical problems and more important matters, but I'm back.

Cromartie hr.jpg

;)

Today was pretty good. Small improvement all-round, and my stance is becoming easier on my back: I'm standing more on my toes and using my leg muscles more, without tiring myself out. I'm also doing the needed physical training, so it also plays a part.

Largest improvement today was mental. It's a bit easier to get into the zone and my mentality in-game is more consistent, so my body is more relaxed. Technically, I haven't seen terrible improvement for some time.

EDIT: For some reason, site really wants to keep uploading the terrible low res high size jpg I uploaded by mistake instead of the nice png that even has a different name. What the hell...

EDIT 2:

Today was good as well. More confidence in strokes due to relaxation and thus shots landing. I've been experimenting with sidespin loops for some time, and I managed to utilize a forehand hooking sidespin during a rally in a game to cause an error from my opponent when I wasn't getting through him. I put it over the net from the forehand corner down the line into his backhand corner from outside the table's plane, and he netted it because there wasn't much topspin at all.

Everyone's block is improving because my loop has improved, and because I brought some cheap, old bats with quite very grippy topsheet to the school for people to play with some time ago, some of them are developing heavier spin.
I've done some loop-block drills with one guy here and he's developing a pretty good loop. His technique is inconsistent, and it's not very adaptable, but he goes for it and he can consistently loop against block. As a player he is worse, and his shot is worse than mine, but I'm happy for him: we both get to enjoy the game more.

I wonder what my face looked like when today it appeared as if his forehand matured and he was sending my way quite good spin with quite good mechanics. Not too often you see a "real" swing 'round these parts. ;) It's a real pleasure to block and loop against actual spin. Feels different too. Does topspin cause a heavier feeling when it hits the bat compared to a flat ball?

Last edited: