Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Hi fellow TTDers, its bee a long time. I have been out for about 5 months with scapula tendonitis(old injury) Has not flare up in the last couple of years, but last year it flared up twice(took two cortizone shots) and the 3rd time I finally took 5 months off. I am back playing and starting playing very slow. First week at 30%, 2nd week about 50 percent and finally yesterday at around 60 to 70%. I steel feel some inflammation but i gotta play...cant let the condition control me. Taking my medication, stretching, acupuncture and a lot of massages/PT. Hopefully i can make a full comeback.

(Also took a Epidural shot on my left side for my sciatica and a cortizone shot on my right side for the herniated disc)

Also i ordered the new DHS D40+ ball and it arrived the day before my weekly lesson. i played with the ball yesterday for about 2 hours and can definitely say this ball is equal to the Nittaku premium ball. You may even say better because it is so much cheaper. I normally train with Nittaku premiums and felt no difference.

1. My coach (ex beijing provincial female player) she said there is no difference in feel from the Nittaku premium.

2. Another coach (used to play in the German League) also said it plays like the Nittaku premium.

3. Senior coach who coaches one of our Rio Olympians took 24 balls from me after he hit with the ball for a hour.

Now i am left with 12 balls out of 72 i ordered because all my clubmates and coaches took or bought them from me. Now i have to order again...:D

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Wouldn't call you road kill.You had some good cross court forehands he couldn't get to. Clear winners. But you definitely did not get him out of his comfort zone. I watched him serve his backhand serve over and over and still had a hard time seeing what he was placing on the ball. As you guys posted above. Slight variations and subtle changes when serving. Good job though at least he did not handcuff you. Your timing just seemed a bit off.

This user has no status.
Road kill for a 2600+ player.

yes the guy is several levels above you, but you weren't ridiculous at all. You had some very good winners with your attack shots that are good, spinny and powerful from both sides, but obviously you can't move much and cannot lower much your knees, thats the source of 90% of your misses, and giving him many opportunities as well on the wide FH side or when targetting your elbow.

I was impressed by some of the guys shots, like the one at 3:08 (!!) or the one at 6:02 which are advanced pimple shots. btw is he long pips, medium or short pips ? can you confirm ?

Yes he was not in danger at all, and it felt like a friendly training match, it didn't look you believed one second you could beat him as well. Your opponent was simply cruising.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
yes the guy is several levels above you, but you weren't ridiculous at all. You had some very good winners.
with your attack shots that are good, spinny and powerful from both sides, but obviously you can't move much and thats the source of 90% of your misses, and giving him many opportunities as well on the wide FH side or when targetting your elbow.

I was impressed by some of the guys shots, like the one at 3:08 (!!) or the one at 6:02 which are advanced pimple shots. btw is he long pips, medium or short pips ? can you confirm ?

Yes he was not in danger at all, and it felt like a friendly training match, it didn't look you believed one second you could beat him as well. Your opponent was simply cruising.

Long pips, Cloud and Fog (I believe) in OX (no sponge).

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wouldn't call you road kill.You had some good cross court forehands he couldn't get to. Clear winners. But you definitely did not get him out of his comfort zone. I watched him serve his backhand serve over and over and still had a hard time seeing what he was placing on the ball. As you guys posted above. Slight variations and subtle changes when serving. Good job though at least he did not handcuff you. Your timing just seemed a bit off.

Gene,

I just saw the ratings post from your El Paso, TX tourney... you jumped 220 FREEKING ratings points !!!

That is a FULL TWO LEVELS jump.

You can tell Next Level to give you his screen name for the rest of 2017.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A pic is worth a thousand words.

outstanding.jpg

This user has no status.
So not knowing where to begin on this forum being a new member, might as well start here on the longest seemingly most popular thread. As a high school senior, only recently have I had time to begin playing more again. I went to a local club today in Seattle and hit with the people there. I asked multiple of the people there to rate me and came out to be on average between 900-1000 according to them. I was able to get a few games and matches off them. Not sure if thats good or bad but its whatever. I have also been looking for a robot but seeing that my parents will probably be against spending money on something like that, I am on my own and need to pay by cash which is the downside so nothing online. Luckily today on craigslist found a listing posted today for a used Newgy 2050 for around 700 bucks. I've got the cash (from saving up for a long time XD) but I was wondering if it was worth the buy.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/6051481273.html

Edit: Also the reason why I am looking for a robot is I don't really have a practice partner and I really want to work on FH looping and the RPB flick/flip. I do have a table though. I'm not really sure if I should put this into its own thread as well...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Which did you do, bribe Austin or kidnap his dog?

Well played.:p

Hah! Do you see that white board on the wall? That's where we keep track of the results of every game we play. Let's just say he's got a few more tallies than I do.

The sad part about it all is:

1) Austin doesn't play table tennis anymore. Ever. He just comes to my house and feeds me multiball and blocks for me once a week (maybe twice if we're lucky).

2) He doesn't even warm up before we start playing. Just hits like 3 or 4 loops and off we go.

3) It's hard to get him to take any practice match 100% seriously.

The crazy part is that usually someone can talk him into going to a tournament maybe once [per year or so, and he always maintains his high 1900's rating. He went to the Philly Teams in 2015 and went something like 25-0 against players rated from about 1550- 1850. Dude is a gamer.

says what [IMG]
Just now played an old Mathematics teacher. Old gent, in his late 60's to 70's.

He wasn't well aware what had been going on while he was away, and the first disconnect was when he asked if he had served to five already when I went to serve. I explained that nowadays, we actually serve to 2 and play to 11, and even the ball's size and material had changed. It didn't matter much: we just hit and served however. Just funny that even I forgot for a moment that games used to be to 21. I'll keep it in mind next time I play someone from the "golden age".

He briefed me on some Finnish table tennis history. This place used to produce decent players. Used to.

I'm not sure what he's capable of, but he's no beginner. I served no-spin to him and he returned it flat, but netted backspin. He started adapting to the next backspin serves. He has a chop against loop and he went in to drive some balls, but missed due to his footwork difficulty.

If you give him a week time to get up to speed and take 40 years off his age, I think he could potentially devastate me. I'm not sure what I would've done if his drives hit. His chop is not too threatening, but it's not like he's been practicing it regularly. Just the fact he can chop my loop repeatedly to a degree is enough to tell me that he's no beginner.

I took it easy on him, but I think he took it easy on me as well. I can't really say what he's capable of. I'd have liked to see him in his prime.

His form was very similar to the style of play prevalent in the 50's and 60's. I think he'd do well with sandpaper, because spin was the issue. Placement was good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Belated welcome to TTD and specifcally the DTT CC thread Laurincase! Hope you find a partner/club soon and/or robot. Good luck in your training!

So not knowing where to begin on this forum being a new member, might as well start here on the longest seemingly most popular thread. As a high school senior, only recently have I had time to begin playing more again. I went to a local club today in Seattle and hit with the people there. I asked multiple of the people there to rate me and came out to be on average between 900-1000 according to them. I was able to get a few games and matches off them. Not sure if thats good or bad but its whatever. I have also been looking for a robot but seeing that my parents will probably be against spending money on something like that, I am on my own and need to pay by cash which is the downside so nothing online. Luckily today on craigslist found a listing posted today for a used Newgy 2050 for around 700 bucks. I've got the cash (from saving up for a long time XD) but I was wondering if it was worth the buy.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/6051481273.html

Edit: Also the reason why I am looking for a robot is I don't really have a practice partner and I really want to work on FH looping and the RPB flick/flip. I do have a table though. I'm not really sure if I should put this into its own thread as well...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hi fellow TTDers, its bee a long time. I have been out for about 5 months with scapula tendonitis(old injury) Has not flare up in the last couple of years, but last year it flared up twice(took two cortizone shots) and the 3rd time I finally took 5 months off. I am back playing and starting playing very slow. First week at 30%, 2nd week about 50 percent and finally yesterday at around 60 to 70%. I steel feel some inflammation but i gotta play...cant let the condition control me. Taking my medication, stretching, acupuncture and a lot of massages/PT. Hopefully i can make a full comeback.

(Also took a Epidural shot on my left side for my sciatica and a cortizone shot on my right side for the herniated disc)

Dayum dai lo !! You are younger than me. Please ... speedy and healthy recovery!!

pssst... so you can give me 9 pts spot!

3. ... took 24 balls from me ...

Now i am left with 12 balls ...

Didn't think you had any left ... i mean didn't Mrs 42&BP take your balls already?

OH SNAP!

*runs and hides from 42&bp's wrath in Chinatown's 87 Lafayette Street/Downtown Community Television Center*

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A new guy came to the club and needed a coach so I agreed to work with him only to find out... HE WAS A PENHOLDER. I can coach penholders on forehand strokes but not the grip or other subtleties. But he said he wanted basic instruction so I tried my best to show him how to forehand block and how to forehand loop. He said he wants to take a lesson today. I am not sure it's fair to coach someone on something you don't understand the subtleties of, but I guess it might better for him than nothing.

Perhaps he is paying also for a good steady blocker ... whereas other partners may try to win every point even during training/warmup?

I need to get back to training even if my body annoys me - everyone is getting much better and I have to catch up.

ugh on me ... i've been out of TT for 4 months or so :( i gained a few pounds back that i lost. Shooting for next week to show up at the club to say hi and maybe hit for 30 mins. i have no doubt everyone got better and i need to catch up, but really for me, it's not about catching up to them!

i'm my own opponent. my best and worst opponent. need to improve myself. need no barometer of others other than my previous self to aim to beat ... but then again, i'm nowhere near your level where many are gunning for you :)

Good luck Sir in your comeback!

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel