Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
BBC FD DSC05487.jpg

My new spin scalpel: Blade by Charlie Flashdrive. (Grey koto outer; reclaimed old growth redwood handle; 88g)

I wanted something in the direction of my Donic OTC, but a few notches slower, and with a much crisper, no aramid/arylate dampening feel. Charlie made the handle (and the slope for the thumb) to fit what he gleaned from a few pointers and some pictures of how I hold my rackets (high up the neck). Haven't played it enough to say definitively, but so far it seems to hit those marks with flying colors. :)

Playing jpen these days has really helped me with my shakehand forehand and footwork. I suck at jpen, but I think it has lit a fire under me to forego my defensive instincts and to attack more. Definitely showed at the Capital Area Team League when I played 2 LP pushblockers by attacking every ball they blocked. I might try an at the table chop block and forehand dominated style (Kind of like Liu Song). I am sure I am changing my style from defender to attacker but I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to double inverted, LP/inverted attacker, SP/Inverted attacker, or Jpen.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You have an effective inverted by for your level, it will not become a piece of caca overnight. It was your willingness to fh top spin. I concur a few months of inverted J Pen matches will move you along nicely in the right direction on several fronts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
View attachment 15128

My new spin scalpel: Blade by Charlie Flashdrive. (Grey koto outer; reclaimed old growth redwood handle; 88g)

I wanted something in the direction of my Donic OTC, but a few notches slower, and with a much crisper, no aramid/arylate dampening feel. Charlie made the handle (and the slope for the thumb) to fit what he gleaned from a few pointers and some pictures of how I hold my rackets (high up the neck). Haven't played it enough to say definitively, but so far it seems to hit those marks with flying colors. :)

Nice looking blade; congrats. Do you know the composition of the full blade?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks!

It goes Koto, Carbon (very thin), avi, avi, avi, Carbon, Koto. Not sure whether there is a standard English name for avi (Charlie doesn’t know either) so I don’t know the average specs of the wood. It’s from Ecuador, and is the wood Charlie uses for the middle and core plies of his 5 ply Allround blade. (Afaik the flashdrive is quite similar to Charlie’s Allround, except for the Koto outer and the carbon layer under it.)

says what [IMG]
Did some drilling on monday. This is the drill that Carl suggested. At least, we tried. :rolleyes:

Backspin short serve, long push, loop, free play. I just focused on the serve and loop for the most part.

My body wasn't feeling 100% okay so I took it a bit easy, and my serve was very off so the drill is fairly inconsistent, but if you can give some tips, please do.

I tried serving closer to the body, with a shorter swing, gripping the handle with my lower 3 fingers. It'll take some time until I can consistently serve it heavy and short on the table. Today I will go again most likely: perhaps the drill is more consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtK-6kpVV0

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think I ripped up my rotator cuff a few years back living in upstate NY snow effect zone during one of those 6 ft snows... usually gotta pull hard on snow blower to start it, then push it around 1 hr TWICE from 0200 to 0500 (Snow blower only can handle 2-2.5 feet of snow) push 10 cars who drivers are idiots and never use snow/ice tires where it snows heavy, and get car unstuck from high center by extending arm and trying to blast away packed in snow from under car in hard to reach places...

Any of those things, including shoveling, can bust ur rotator cuff, ur back, your waist or ur nuts when it is -30 or -40 outside when you gotta do all that.

Have been shoveling by hand since i was a kid. This year is the first time my neighbors mentioned a snowblower and split the cost... working on logistics.

I do love the workout from shoveling snow by hand, but not the broken back afterwards lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Have been shoveling by hand since i was a kid. This year is the first time my neighbors mentioned a snowblower and split the cost... working on logistics.

I do love the workout from shoveling snow by hand, but not the broken back afterwards lol

Shoveling snow brings back old memories of my hometown up in Canada! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Did some drilling on monday. This is the drill that Carl suggested. At least, we tried. :rolleyes:

Backspin short serve, long push, loop, free play. I just focused on the serve and loop for the most part.

My body wasn't feeling 100% okay so I took it a bit easy, and my serve was very off so the drill is fairly inconsistent, but if you can give some tips, please do.

I tried serving closer to the body, with a shorter swing, gripping the handle with my lower 3 fingers. It'll take some time until I can consistently serve it heavy and short on the table. Today I will go again most likely: perhaps the drill is more consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtK-6kpVV0

Looks better and level appropriate. The right kinds of things seem to be happening that make the drill correct. MAking the levels of spin more consistent would be the next step.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hit last night with 3 people. First 2 - I just blocked for them.

3rd partner - my first time hitting with him. Seemed to be steady enough flat blocker which really let me progressively rip my FH topspin/FH loops. Initially conscious of being close to the table, shorten my stroke, right elbow not flaring up, left arm not flinging wildly ... once flowing, i did stay close to the table, but didn't catch the ball earlier ... my reset still needs work. Basically i need a lot of work lol

We hit for 45 mins, didn't care if i had correct stroke or not, i was happy that i have a partner that was steady enough blocking my FH and I was able to let loose. Of course i should concentrate on form/technique/stroke, but was pleasantly surprised at my partner's blocking. Didn't think to video as I was on a high.

He called it quits, i thanked him, he was about to go home and then i recalled, i should video this lol

Of course, Murphy's Law, the video isn't as good as when we hit earlier. Both a little tired. Not happy with the video, but at least it's something for all the kibitzers and coaches on this thread. Good for a laugh too!

After last night, concluded, i need to sand the wings more. The handle is too rounded and big for me... prefer the flatter handles like the oldschool DHS. Want to make a groove into the handle, but hesitant as the blade is very light as it is. Plus, i don't mind sanding the wings, but i don't want to butcher the handle.

Forgive my friend's videoing technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygcIP5fYcj0

On the other table are 2 of the better players at my club.

Mostly FH topsins/loops (if it can be called that) ... at 1:02-1:10 / 2:58-3:10 I flat hit.

p.s. Saw PPH at the club. He was RPB block/punch against an easily 2000+ partner's FH powerful loops (probably 2200(?)) PPH was like, "I got this!" and RPB block/punched those power loops back! Very cool and inspirational to witness. I need more work on my RPB lol

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Shoveling by hand a 12x24 foot area after a 12 inch snow is manageable.

Shoveling a 16x60 ft and a 16x16 ft area after 50 to 60 inches can get a little taxing.

Operating a snow blower for that same area PLUS a 10 ft wide gravel road for 350 feet is still difficult, especially since you gotta do it twice each snowfall, since a snow blower handles only a 2 ft snowfall. Oh getting up at 2AM for round one is no fun... takes an hour each round.

In those part of the country, MANY people buy their own snow plow for $8000 to $40,000 USD. Operating a snow plow truck for that same task once for a 3 to 5 ft snow takes 15 minutes... and you are not standing outside in minus 20 to minus 40 temps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wowza!

shoveling by hand a 12x24 foot area after a 12 inch snow is manageable.

Shoveling a 16x60 ft and a 16x16 ft area after 50 to 60 inches can get a little taxing.

Operating a snow blower for that same area plus a 10 ft wide gravel road for 350 feet is still difficult, especially since you gotta do it twice each snowfall, since a snow blower handles only a 2 ft snowfall. Oh getting up at 2am for round one is no fun... Takes an hour each round.

In those part of the country, many people buy their own snow plow for $8000 to $40,000 usd. Operating a snow plow truck for that same task once for a 3 to 5 ft snow takes 15 minutes... And you are not standing outside in minus 20 to minus 40 temps.

Sent from my sm-n950u using tapatalk

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

Nice timing! I just got home. Yeah, that's about it. The drill worked enough to feel that I got something out of it. It could just be placebo but I feel that today was slightly better.

Now to review the footage. I played some games with some kids, asked them if it's okay to video. I wanted mainly to confirm if I loop in games like I loop in drills. There's not a HUGE difference so I am onto something. Same good things, same mistakes. I'm more confident in games but I spin less I feel.

They're not so interesting so I won't post them if not just to keep the kids' privacy in better order. I will however post today's drills with my friend, as soon as they upload.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Now I live in Sacramento where it really doesn't snow... but only an hour away are the mountains where it snow like crazy if I ever get the urge...

My first month I was upstate by, I had to go away to desert training... it was early Jan... 2 days after I left, one of those 5 ft snowfall and minus 30 spell hit, heating system failed and wife couldn't operate the rust bucket snow plow... needless to say she was a bit angry and nervous... I had 2 electric oil filled radiator units, so it wasn't life threatening, but wife was nervous. It is 400 feet from front door to county road, so she was a little hemmed in until a church friend showed up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
YIKES!

Der, it didn't snow in Tallahassee,FL since 1911 or so, UNTIL LAST WEEK!

Now I live in Sacramento where it really doesn't snow... but only an hour away are the mountains where it snow like crazy if I ever get the urge...

My first month I was upstate by, I had to go away to desert training... it was early Jan... 2 days after I left, one of those 5 ft snowfall and minus 30 spell hit, heating system failed and wife couldn't operate the rust bucket snow plow... needless to say she was a bit angry and nervous... I had 2 electric oil filled radiator units, so it wasn't life threatening, but wife was nervous. It is 400 feet from front door to county road, so she was a little hemmed in until a church friend showed up.

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel here are the videos I promised.

Like the titles say. No magic happened obviously but I'm onto something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBwxOcMjGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDfTXexxcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZivTgFx9tEc

EDIT:

@Der_Echte
@OldschoolPenholder

In terms of snow here, let's just say that I was drifting the entire way back home on the downhill, and I had to beat my bike's brake calipers with my pumper so as to get the piled up snow off them so they don't freeze my brakes. Coming home I only had rears that bit, hence the dorifto. :p

Last edited: